European with Zimmer frame arrested by Chonburi police on overstay

rooster59

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

If people become disabled through accident or illness while living in Thailand, why can[t they just give them permanent residency? They are not going to harm anybody.

I don't know many countries that would just hand out PR to someone who is likely to be a 'burden on society', why ask from Thailand what your own country is not likely to give?

8 hours ago, talahtnut said:

85 overstay is a flagrant flouting of the rules.

However I suspect the photo op is their way

of advertising the fact in the media that the

rules have to be followed. Scary news travels.

My mate is bedridden but managed to follow

the rules. No rules and there would be chaos.

At the moment we have no idea of how he is,

lets hope he is given fair treatment.

There's plenty of rules and still chaos on the roads and everywhere else.

It's Thailand, everyone ignores rules here.

SoO we keep getting the lauded stories about these (very) old europeans who have overstayed at a rate of about one per week but where are the stories of the criminal gangs from Russia, Nigeria, Pakistan, India, Iran, Australia, UK et al being busted? What about stories about illegal workers, illegal employers, boiler rooms, cartels, drug gangs, immigration service scammers, forgers, trafficking rings et al being caught?

14 hours ago, rvaviator said:

I am curios on this - This is reported in the Thai press / online in Thai language .. right ?  What comments, if any are given by Thai people?

Good point.

Can anyone help with this.

I'd be interested to hear public opinion, if indeed there is any.

On 2/15/2020 at 9:33 AM, cmsally said:

Their PR dept. needs a serious overhaul.

However there is almost a sense of satisfaction at how they voluntarily set themselves up for ridicule.

I don't think Thais get humour unless it's slipping on a banana skin & then only accompanied with daft sound effects.  These brave officers cannot see the irony of arresting an invalid whilst ignoring the myriad Thai law breakers standing next to them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

There's plenty of rules and still chaos on the roads and everywhere else.

It's Thailand, everyone ignores rules here.

Rules/laws are only for foreigners and poor people. My school has the rule that students cannot progress to 10th grade (m.4) if they don't have a GPA of at least 2.5. The school has never enforced their own rule. But if a teacher in 5 minutes late their yearly increase is reduced. 

The word 'kangaroo' to describe an overstaying Australian is subtly dehumanizing language. By describing a person as an animal, it encourages people to think of the hunt for overstayers as a hunt for game and serves to discourage consideration of the human impact his deportation might have. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, monkfish said:

Yes and for sure no Thai cop would hassle him.

I think these articles don't tell us everything. I do understand if a jealous Thai rats on a farang, but why would anyone call the immigration hotline if they don't even know the person? How would they know he or she is on overstay? 

38 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I think these articles don't tell us everything. I do understand if a jealous Thai rats on a farang, but why would anyone call the immigration hotline if they don't even know the person? How would they know he or she is on overstay? 

If he went to the hospital they might have checked his passport on registration.

8 minutes ago, monkfish said:

If he went to the hospital they might have checked his passport on registration.

In my experience hospitals only look at the face page, they request passport as form of identification. They do not wade through all the stamps and visa pages and would not know what they were looking at if they did.

Apparently someone informed on him. Or perhaps someone spotted him and was worried for his welfare since he seemed weak and unwell, and called the police for that reason. On arrival police would routinely check passport.

The article is demeaning and racist and the idea that "nabbing" an elderly invalid in some way represents making the country safer is completely absurd.

But one does wonder, with such overstayers, what their long term plan was ? One way or another, only a matter of time until they are apprehended by the police. How can they not know this?

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

In my experience hospitals only look at the face page, they request passport as form of identification. They do not wade through all the stamps and visa pages and would nto know what they were looking at if they did.

Apparently someone informed on him.

Yes probably.
Last time I went to the bank to withdraw money they took a copy of Passport and I had to show them which page my Visa was on, I don't think they used to check Visa or Extension before.
So they can even nab you at the bank.

Edited by monkfish

36 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Yes probably.
Last time I went to the bank to withdraw money they took a copy of Passport and I had to show them which page my Visa was on, I don't think they used to check Visa or Extension before.
So they can even nab you at the bank.

I do get it if it happened at the bank. But who would call the immigration hotline about a guy in a Zimmer frame walking outside a hospital? His ex thai gf? 

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

In my experience hospitals only look at the face page, they request passport as form of identification. They do not wade through all the stamps and visa pages and would not know what they were looking at if they did.

Apparently someone informed on him. Or perhaps someone spotted him and was worried for his welfare since he seemed weak and unwell, and called the police for that reason. On arrival police would routinely check passport.

The article is demeaning and racist and the idea that "nabbing" an elderly invalid in some way represents making the country safer is completely absurd.

But one does wonder, with such overstayers, what their long term plan was ? One way or another, only a matter of time until they are apprehended by the police. How can they not know this?

Did you read about the guy with one year overstay? He reasoned that it must be better to hide in a village in Sisaket than in a major city. It's kind of hard to blend in in a small village out in the sticks.  

10 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I do get it if it happened at the bank. But who would call the immigration hotline about a guy in a Zimmer frame walking outside a hospital? His ex thai gf? 

Why would immigration be hanging around outside a hospital in Bang Sean nearest immigration is Si Racha?
If he was reported why not nab him at home?
Bang Sean is popular for Thai's but not for Farang si why even go there.