Immigration's BMW "smart car" nabs snitched on overstaying Australian pensioner - he thought hiding in a country village would keep him safe

rooster59

23 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The complaints are most likely not directed at the deportation itself, but the way the deportation is handled.

People who did nothing but overstay didn't hurt anybody, so their treatment could be way less severe.

Just one quite simple idea: Instead of throwing them in a Thai jail, Thailand could offer them that if they buy a plane ticket back to their home country on the spot and pay the 20k fine they will be brought directly to the airport to fly back home.

Afaik mexicans who immigrate illegally in the USA can even get citizenship there.

I am sure the deportation centers in the USA  are not a Club Med. And most captured "illegal aliens" are being held there before being deported. 

You may have heard about the detention centers for kids.. overcrowded and not equipped to house children.

UK immigration also places overstayed in detention (happened to Thai friends) 

If you know on which basis illegal Mexicans can get citizenship in the USA, please share information. You can make a fortune as immigration lawyer in the USA, if you can deliver

In 1992, Australia adopted a mandatory detention policy obliging the government to detain all persons entering or being in the country without a valid visa, while their claim to remain in Australia is processed and security and health checks undertaken. Also, at the same time, the law was changed to permit indefinite detention, from the previous limit of 273 days. 

In some cases, people have been held in detention for over 10 years, 

Wikipedia

5 hours ago, Parsve said:

It is not about what you need, it is about what the gouverment want.

100% correct! (Well 99% correct "gouverment"?) If the Government/Immigration want proof that you have income of 1 million baht per year, then you have to provide it or "go back to where you came from" Damn - said it myself!

But any sane person (:cheesy:) would surely realise that anyone who spends 500,000 baht a year should be welcomed  - not made to feel like they are in some other way inferior to the 2/3 week tourists!! 

7 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Reading the posts around my first one above, ... YES, I think that having to have the 800,000 in the bank would certainly be a problem for some people !

I have heard from a Friend that lives in Batembang Cambodia for several months a year, …That there are people that have turned up there now, who say that they have too much problem with getting Visas for Thailand, so they are giving Cambodia a go ! ? …. (And I wish them the best of Luck ! having lived in Cambodia a bit myself. Like a VERY DANGEOUS place Cambodia ! …  If you ask me !!!)

… Yes having to have that amount of money in the bank, to be able to get the Non 0- Visa !!!  Like 40,000 AUD ! And I think that this is over the usual average Australian basic wage for 12 Months there now ? I think ? d/t the Rise of the Bart and the fall of the AUD ! .... SO, YES it is a pretty big Ask for a LOT of People I am Sure ! ... And I DO have sympathy for them .... But Still, you want to live in Thailand ! ? .... Well YOU still DO have to be able to afford it !!! Like that Fact or not. ....

But then, the Having to have Health insurance threat ? ... Not Reality YET ! for the NON 0- ! ? and I do think my self, that they will not enact that one, as they DO know that it would decimate a huge proportion of the Paying, NON O- residents here !!! ..... But, well that WOULD be a problem if they even do, do that !!! And it will be a Great one to me also being 64 now and 65 soon !!! ...

But well reading my reasonable, Local Immigration officials Faces ... I do not think that they will impose this ? ... and if they do I think that they WILL probably be able to get me the insurance in their office, ? or Nearby, locally, and efficiently enough, ... if they do ???

But this will just be ANOTHER pretty great expense for some people that just do not have that sort of money and well wages having been stagnant now for over the last 10 Years !!! Yes I DO have a lot of sympathy for these people. ....  And well for myself if this ever happens !!!

.... So how much are 2 month tourist Visas any way these days ? and then 1 month extension, ... and I wonder how you would go continually renewing it every 3 Months ? ... on a Good Holiday to a neighboring country ?

Phew! Confused, and why so many "......."s"?

How about a phone number to report one of the ten-thousands Somchais not paying taxes?

While it’s not right to overstay, that guy wasn’t a threat for sure. However all those morons not paying taxes and acting selfish are one of the reasons that retired ppl get their miserable 800 Baht pension per month!!!

I really don't understand the huge vinyl boards, the fanfare and celebrations for picking up a single old man with an expired visa.  Sure by all means nab overstayers as other countries do but there is no reason for the huge celebrations.  Face is a big thing for them but do they have any idea how embarrassing and stupid all this self admiration is.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ChipButty said:

To me it just shows he's not very smart he would stand out like a spare <deleted> at a wedding in sticky rice land he would be better off in a big city where he would just blend in, but then again he is an Aussie.

Hope the person who grassed him up feels a lot better now could have been a fellow Aussie

Does it feel good to be up there with the intellectually superior looking down on other nationalities?

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

I really don't understand the huge vinyl boards, the fanfare and celebrations for picking up a single old man with an expired visa.  Sure by all means nab overstayers as other countries do but there is no reason for the huge celebrations.  Face is a big thing for them but do they have any idea how embarrassing and stupid all this self admiration is.

No they don't.

Moreover it really is pitched at domestic consumption where it is lapped up.So the bigger the sign the better and always surrounded by stern faced Elliot Ness's and their heroic teams of "Untouchables"..

The smart car thing throws in a bit of Batman and Robin as well.

All Thailand is but a theatre..sometimes Tragedy sometimes Comedy.

Edited by Odysseus123

12 hours ago, rexall said:

In the U.S. many people receive pensions from a former employer, assuming they are "vested" and the company has not gone broke. It used to be the rule rather than the exception for those who spend the majority of their career with one employer to receive a pension, separate from and in addition to Social Security retirement benefits or any other income sources or assets.

I suppose its meaning (pension) differs in the country one comes from, e.g. in Oz, the full (government) pension is paid to anyone who has lived in Oz for 35 years and is a citizen or permanent resident, they don't have to work, it's a social security benefit, but one has to pass the assets test and these days has to be around 66 years of age and it goes up to 67 as of 1 July 2023 I believe then keeps rising to 70 years of age over a few years after that.

Then you have superannuation which employers pay to your nominated superannuation fund, if you change employers, then they also contribute to your fund and when you reach 60 you can take it out in a lump sum tax free or receive it as an income stream paid weekly, fortnightly, monthly, depending on how the fund pays it.

Another massive heist for Thai immigration. These highly dangerous elderly foreigners are causing so much trouble! To be honest, I'm surprised the BBC and CNN haven't picked up on this amazing catch! Apparently, there were undercover imm officers tracking him for months ......... one nearly had his cover blown when he wore his uniform while selling som tam.

I can sleep better at nights, knowing that the fearless Thai immigration are clearing out the dangerous criminals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

No they don't.

Moreover it really is pitched at domestic consumption where it is lapped up.So the bigger the sign the better and always surrounded by stern faced Elliot Ness's and their heroic teams of "Untouchables"..

The smart car thing throws in a bit of Batman and Robin as well.

All Thailand is but a theatre..sometimes Tragedy sometimes Comedy.

But always soapie based. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, sambum said:

It does not even indicate he is married and thus might have a reason to stay here even though he cannot afford to.

One of my touchy points! A "farang" man married to a Thai National now has to prove income of a minimum of 40,000 baht a month deposited into a Thai bank from abroad in order to qualify for an extension based on marriage. On the other hand, a single man requiring an extension based on retirement has to deposit a minimum of 65,000 baht a month! Since when is it more expensive for a man to live on his own than to live with his wife and possibly her children?

And who decides that he needs these amounts in order to be able to "afford to live here"? I know of many (farang) people who can afford to live here on substantially less than the figures quoted, and I would hazard a guess that there are MILLIONS of Thais who don't have that income!

The real kicker is that a farang woman married to a Thai man has absolutely zero requirements in terms of money in the bank etc. 

Maybe everybody should become trannies and see if they can get away with it.

You might have to dress up & put a bit of slap on once a year to fool immigration though????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

The real kicker is that a farang woman married to a Thai man has absolutely zero requirements in terms of money in the bank etc. 

The obvious conclusion is male chauvinism - in Thailand men are expected to provide for their womenfolk. Ethnicity doesn't enter into it

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Can I add to that, what would happen if the 'snitch' reported someone for being on overstay and it turned out to be false information??

You mean like the flight attendant who is seriously annoyed by a passenger and reports them to Customs as "someone whose bags might be worth inspecting closely"?

• Like 1

Reminds me of a time when I'm in my local corner store and this old Thai guy is complaining about how hard it is to get a driving licence, so I told him about the images of me and wifey in every room, the map to the house, all the money in the bank and the trillions of other requirements I have to come up with to stay here.

He was astonished that I even needed a visa lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, geronimo said:

I doubt any Thais even know we need visas .... The Thais I know assume that, because I come from a western country, I can go where I want.

Very true at times. ???? I've had Thai companies offer me work and said 'it should be easy because you've been here so long you must have your own work permit'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Very true at times. ???? I've had Thai companies offer me work and said 'it should be easy because you've been here so long you must have your own work permit'.

This snitch campaign is aimed at us I suspect ..... and I'm sure a few old grudges have been settled this way. Who knows, they might issue us with little booklets, where we stick our "I got an overstayer" stamp. 35 Gets you a new car!

Just now, Airbagwill said:

Sorry, what stamps are these?

Word is out that this "snitch on the overstayer" campaign is moving into its next stage. We will all be given little booklets and every time you snitch an overstayer, you get one stamp. 12 stamps gets you a laptop and 35 a car!

• Haha 2