Immigration's BMW "smart car" nabs snitched on overstaying Australian pensioner - he thought hiding in a country village would keep him safe

rooster59

3 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Word is out that this "snitch on the overstayer" campaign is moving into its next stage. We will all be given little booklets and every time you snitch an overstayer, you get one stamp. 12 stamps gets you a laptop and 35 a car!

I find that somewhat hard to believe; do you have an authoritative source for that or is it just farang paranoia? 

It would however mean I've got a new car on the way......

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Sad 1

On 2/15/2020 at 9:29 AM, 4MyEgo said:

63 year old pensioner, WOW, last check, you had to be 67 + to get the pension in the land of Oz. Maybe he is on a disability pension ?

I can tell you one thing, if these clowns think they are funny by claiming this guy to be a hiding kangaroo because of his nationality, it just goes to show how pathetic and child like minds they have, real "racists" trying to justify the taxpayer dollars spent for their BMW ride.

Imagine a western country doing the same, catching a illegal working thai 'lady' in a red light district and publish it like 'from the land of pro.....s'  ....????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

I find that somewhat hard to believe; do you have an authoritative source for that or is it just farang paranoia? 

It would however mean I've got a new car on the way......

It's my feeble attempt at humour sir!!!!

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

Imagine a western country doing the same, catching a illegal working thai 'lady' in a red light district and publish it like 'from the land of pro.....s'  ....????

Exactly, reminds me when I sponsored my sister-in-law to come to Oz to study English for a year, unbeknown to me, she worked in the industrial areas of the night while studied during the day, me thinking she was staying at a friends close to where the school was, and we rarely saw her, then one day I got a call at around midnight, hello, is that "John" yeh, this is constable Smith, can you pick up your sister-in-law at this industrial complex (address) and make sure she is on a flight out in 7 days, um, yeh sure officer, on my way.

That was as much publicity as she got, she said she didn't want to go back to Thailand just yet, I found out she was making about 60,000 baht a week, and I said, you don't have a choice girl, I sponsored you, your my responsibility and your going on that flight. I hear you've made a couple of mil, should set you and your family up nicely for a fair few years, unfortunately as we all know, Thai's like to show and it was all gone within 3 months, so much for spreading the love, all that hard work gone down the drain, just for show, now she is selling fruit outside a petrol service station in the heat and pollution, obviously all that show was worth it for her, suffice to say the rain season isn't too far away. 

• Like 1

It’s a pity Thai’s are acting like ....there’s a farang....just check him out. Seems they don’t like farang (or maybe hate them).....

they think when all farang are gone, Thailand is more safe than ever before.....5555

On the other hand when al your things are ok and you follow the law, you have nothing to fear.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:01 AM, Gweiloman said:

Why do these people insist on overstaying knowing very well that the long arm of the law will eventually catch up with them? I can’t imagine that it would be a comfortable existence, having to look over your shoulder all the time. 
Could it be that they are fugitives from their own country? If so, then Thai immigration is doing everyone a big favor by rounding them up. 

Maybe they like the place but can't/don't want to put 800,000 baht into a Thai bank for the privilege of staying.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, sambum said:

No, it's all part of living in Thailand by choice! Moving the goalpost is becoming a weekly event, which doesn't happen (as far as I know) in most other Asian countries!

And your last sentence reeks of "if you don't like it, go home"! 

My last sentence also reeks of "putting a lump sum in the bank instead of going through the hassle of watching exchange rates and transferring adequate funds every month."

There are options for people. Could even go the Elite visa if so desired.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sambum said:

By virtue of the fact that you mentioned "paedo(phile) in your post and then saying "I'm not saying he is, mind you" is a clear insinuation and then denial on your part - why didn't you add "but he might be!" Chinese whispers?

By virtue of the fact you mentioned Chinese can we now assume you have the corona virus.

Thankyou Poindexter.

Edited by emptypockets

8 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

Maybe they like the place but can't/don't want to put 800,000 baht into a Thai bank for the privilege of staying.

I like Monaco but can’t put up the Eur 5,000,000 they require. 
I would like a new iPhone 11 but don’t want to pay the Thb 40,000 asking price. 
What should I do?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

I like Monaco but can’t put up the Eur 5,000,000 they require. 
I would like a new iPhone 11 but don’t want to pay the Thb 40,000 asking price. 
What should I do?

Overstay and lose your liberty ....

16 hours ago, sambum said:

No I didn't - I said " which doesn't happen (as far as I know) in most other Asian countries!" Do try to read the replies properly before commenting on them!

Anyway, before this gets out of hand, I am giving up on this one - I sympathise with the old guy! Bye Bye - Have a nice day!

You may not know about other countries in a similar manner to not knowing about Thailand's requirements.

There is no obligation to go through the pain of monthly transfers and the the further pain of verifying them yearly.

Many people simply put the required lump sum into a Thai bank and forget about it.

Some people buy an elite visa.

Unfortunately those who are ignorant of this see every comment as " if you don't like it go home".

And some people really should.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, chainarong said:

Yeah , if he's 63 he wouldn't even qualify for the previous age of 65 

He could be on a service pension(which isnt actually a pension) from a very early age if he was an apprentice, some of my mates got em at 35 or as someone else said a disability pension, which is also possible as he seems to be crazy thinking he can hide out in a village.

48 minutes ago, gearbox said:

"But we will decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come. "

Do you remember who said this? How does it feel to be at the receiving end?

Yes, I do. The greatest Prime Minister Australia ever had. John Winston Howard.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Billy Bloggs said:

he seems to be crazy thinking he can hide out in a village.

A few years ago, it would have been easy, keep yourself to yourself and be polite to everyone you meet. These super BMW cars, it seems, have now closed that loophole .....

30 minutes ago, Brayka said:

It’s a pity Thai’s are acting like ....there’s a farang....just check him out. Seems they don’t like farang (or maybe hate them).....

they think when all farang are gone, Thailand is more safe than ever before.....5555

On the other hand when al your things are ok and you follow the law, you have nothing to fear.

Well maybe, only thing I worry about is being dobbed for working on the farm, evrything else is followed to the letter, but somethings I just have to do as it doesnt matter how many stick drawings you do and mud maps you make or pictures you show you just cant get the idea across.

42 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

The word 'kangaroo' to describe an overstaying Australian is subtly dehumanizing. By describing a person as an animal, it encourages people to think of the hunt for overstayers as a hunt for game and serves to discourage consideration of the human impact his deportation might have. 

"illegal immigrant" would be better

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 2:01 PM, Gweiloman said:

Why do these people insist on overstaying knowing very well that the long arm of the law will eventually catch up with them? I can’t imagine that it would be a comfortable existence, having to look over your shoulder all the time. 
Could it be that they are fugitives from their own country? If so, then Thai immigration is doing everyone a big favor by rounding them up. 

Doing who a 'big favour'?Pleeease..spare us the moral high grounding..was he a mass murderer /fugitive on the run?NO!Wasn't exactly Ronnie Biggs or Crime of the Century was it?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Accidental Tourist said:

we always underestimate the hate of Thais forward foreigners...same way it started in Nazi Germany!

"SEE THE WRITING ON THE WALL"

It has been my experience that the 'average' Thai person is just the same as the 'average' foreigner, and they are genuine nice people (only some cultural differences which can be misunderstood on both sides sometimes).  

I have more Thai friends than foreign ones now, and many are like family to me.  These kind of people don't hate foreigners, and most of the general Thai population don't either, despite the sometimes raciest or stupid newspaper headlines (which are no worse then their equivalent tabloid paper headlines in the West).  

However, some of the kind of people that go for these immigration jobs, police, or army / controlling jobs are not nice people.  These jobs attract that personality type.  But, the way they treat their own Thai people or anyone they consider lower down the social ladder then them, is just as bad as the way they treat foreigners.  These are the people that damage the give the incorrect impression that Thai people as a whole don't like foreigners. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

So he struck out like a sore thumb in a small village full of Thais.  Next time try Bangkok or a very large populate city where there are thousands of farang that all look alike. 

New kid in town?

On 2/15/2020 at 9:08 AM, rooster59 said:

Region 4 immigration had received a tip that a foreigner was wandering about in the Khanun area of Sisaket

Looked on Google Maps...that area really is out in the boonies. If he just showed up out of the blue without knowing anyone in town (i.e., not having a girlfriend there) he would have been the subject of ongoing curiosity from day one.

In most small villages like this there is virtually no inbound migration, so his sudden appearance as a newcomer would have triggered a fair amount of curiosity just because of that, even if he had been Thai. Everybody would have been curious about where he came from, who he was related to, and what he was doing there. The assumption would be that he was involved with a woman in town, and everyone would want to know who. If he told people, 'Nope, no girlfriend, no wife, just little ole me by myself. Just looking for a quiet little town to hang out in, thought I'd give this place a shot' that would have raised eyebrows in just about any small village. Maybe no one would call immigration right away, but people would probably be speculating about whether you were up to something just because that behavior is so out of the ordinary.

The other thing the guy probably forgot to consider is that these villages have an established social pecking order. If there's a newcomer, people are going to scrutinize them closely just to see where he fits in on the pecking order. This pecking-order-establishing-process alone could easily account for a certain amount of catty speculation about him possibly being on the lam, or up to no good.

But the main reason is because these villages are almost always insular farming communities which are not used to people joining other than through family ties. Agree he probably would have been better off hiding out in a large city.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sydneyjed said:

Evidence??For the supposition that overstayers are fugitives in their home country.

How many reports of overstayers being wanted on charges in home country?

• Like 1