BANGKOK
rooster59

Immigration's BMW "smart car" nabs snitched on overstaying Australian pensioner - he thought hiding in a country village would keep him safe

From the land of done over back to the land of down under.

• Like 2

Why is immigration arresting kangaroos? Doesn't Thailand have an animal control department?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

What does this even mean? He was snitched on. That’s how immigration suspected he was on overstay. What on god’s green earth does a waste-of-money BMW have to do with it? Other than the fact that the immigration officers could have been driving a tuk tuk and it would have made zero difference to the outcome. 

Actually a bicycle, smartphone and sim card would suffice.

• Haha 2

I guess the technology in the car allowed immediate access to confirm passport details and any visa extensions . Why else mention BMW Smart car?

Do they get a discount for advertising BMW???

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

i expect every white face is reported repeatedly and 99% of the time immigration respond to say they are here legally

Yes. We just moved in my TGF's house in her village. I know there are snitches around as a couple months ago Imm Ubon came to check on a local younger Brit who lives down the road from us.  The guy is legally married to a member of my TGF's family and has legal Stay Permit. Apparently they questioned was what was a not retired farang doing in this quiet village.

I'm waiting for my "visit" LOL 😀  But I'm on old retired senior !!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

63 year old pensioner, WOW, last check, you had to be 67 + to get the pension in the land of Oz. Maybe he is on a disability pension ?

I can tell you one thing, if these clowns think they are funny by claiming this guy to be a hiding kangaroo because of his nationality, it just goes to show how pathetic and child like minds they have, real "racists" trying to justify the taxpayer dollars spent for their BMW ride.

Yeah , if he's 63 he wouldn't even qualify for the previous age of 65 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, murikamba said:

I applaud these Thais who are doing great service in catching farangs on overstay. Farnags think this is his country but it is not. My question is how does others know he is on overstay unless he talks to vilagers how easy to hide in rural areas without police permission (that is what Thais think of Immigration).

I reckon if a villager in Bahn Nawk Noi reports a farang in a village to their local cops, they call the immigration cops who do a quick check on their increasingly updated and accurate database. When it shows that there's no record of ANY farang living in or near Bahn Nawk Noi, then even the RTP can put 2 and 2 together and they jump in the smart car and as they say, the rest is history.

They won't know he's on overstay until they find him, get his passport and look up the database. If he's legal and just wanting a quiet life or if hiding in the boonies from his yabaa-crazy, gogo dancer ex-girlfriend, then you'll never hear about it. If he's illegal, they run to the local print shop, get the color placards made, call in the media and we get to read all about it here on these hallowed pages where we can take the Mickey out of them.

• Like 2