Immigration's BMW "smart car" nabs snitched on overstaying Australian pensioner - he thought hiding in a country village would keep him safe

rooster59

2 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Wow, you're not allowed to take a private or company pension before you're 67 if you're an Aussie? That's harsh if true.

No, it only applies to the Government pension. Private pensions, usually superannuation, can be accessed tax free after 60 to and after 55 ? with some ( serious) taxation implications.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sapson said:

I think i am missing something here ,,,isnt the BMW smart car just a load of <deleted>?.

Its just a BMW with a laptop computer able to access a wifi network and immigration records.

So a guy using a honda wave and having a smart phone with wifi could do the same.

The detection comes from the brilliant highly skilled act of looking in the guys passport to detect an out of date stamp......and another heinous criminal overstayer causing mayhem is taken off the streets.

Drunk drivers kiddie fiddlers wife bashers can relax,... the cops with smart cars have bigger fish to fry.

Pathetic.

Another member described the recent experience he and his wife had talking to an IO in the car. Apparently the facial recognition system identified the poster at 100 metres or so from the car. So it appears the car not only has facial recognition capability but also a high speed link back to what must a sophisticated and large database.

You won't get that happening with a phone app.

Agree you don't need a BMW for that, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Can you elaborate more on what documentation and why would it cost 6200?

They now require a massive stack of paperwork from the bank. only since last month. Separate documents for each deposit over the course of the past year, paperwork about the account dating back to the time you opened the account, and more. It is beyond inane. Probably a deal the banks worked out with immigration, to discourage guys who do not want to keep their 400,000 tied up in the bank all year, interest free. It cost 500 per month of documents, plus 200 baht for the fee. 6,200 total. Abusive. Beyond abusive. Extortion. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

They now require a massive stack of paperwork from the bank. only since last month. Separate documents for each deposit over the course of the past year, paperwork about the account dating back to the time you opened the account, and more. It is beyond inane. Probably a deal the banks worked out with immigration, to discourage guys who do not want to keep their 400,000 tied up in the bank all year, interest free. It cost 500 per month of documents, plus 200 baht for the fee. 6,200 total. Abusive. Beyond abusive. Extortion. 

That's all part of the cost of living in a foreign country by choice.

Easily avoided by making a different choice.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Sad 1

So I don’t believe people “forget” to extend their permissions to stay, so in this case it looks like a blatant attempt to duck under the radar and avoid detection, for whatever reason. Either he’s trying to disappear or he truly can’t find the Thb 1,900 it takes to renew or his financial circumstances don’t qualify him to stay.

Sad, but that’s the way it looks to me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

To me it just shows he's not very smart he would stand out like a spare <deleted> at a wedding in sticky rice land he would be better off in a big city where he would just blend in, but then again he is an Aussie.

Hope the person who grassed him up feels a lot better now could have been a fellow Aussie

Yep, an Aussie, probably the product of a transported fine upstanding London criminal from the days of old. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

63 year old pensioner, WOW, last check, you had to be 67 + to get the pension in the land of Oz. Maybe he is on a disability pension ?

I can tell you one thing, if these clowns think they are funny by claiming this guy to be a hiding kangaroo because of his nationality, it just goes to show how pathetic and child like minds they have, real "racists" trying to justify the taxpayer dollars spent for their BMW ride.

correct, he is too young for the Australian pension - a very strange article full of racist overtones.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, geoff65 said:

Probably doubt it, If he is on disability pension the government only pays benefits for one month when you go out of the country then your own ya own.

Good point, I didn't know that, and that's a good way of stopping the 99% of BS artists of a particular race in taking it back to their country of origin at the taxpayers expense.

Which baffles me how he can be on the pension, I mean could this all be BS on the immigration officers part to justify their BMW "smart cars".....lol

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

I imagine the pain it can be to live there at the moment.

I use to go on my ex wife's mother's in Issan a few weeks every year. Small rural village. No fun anywhere, except me : I was the attraction, with a few children and people following us everywhere when we had a bit of walk to go to buy ice or just to breath air.

So today everyone will follow me with smartphone making pictures and calls to the police, in the hope to have a tip or to make headlines.

The idea doesn't make me feel comfortable. They're making a hell of it.

1 minute ago, BigDaddy66 said:

I imagine the pain it can be to live there at the moment.

I use to go on my ex wife's mother's in Issan a few weeks every year. Small rural village. No fun anywhere, except me : I was the attraction, with a few children and people following us everywhere when we had a bit of walk to go to buy ice or just to breath air.

So today everyone will follow me with smartphone making pictures and calls to the police, in the hope to have a tip or to make headlines.

The idea doesn't make me feel comfortable. They're making a hell of it.

No pain for me. Mostly everybody knows me so I'm no longer the stand out.

16 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

That's all part of the cost of living in a foreign country by choice.

Easily avoided by making a different choice.

Nope, moved to Malaysia, don't get anything from immigration, only "Welcome Sir"......... When i first came to Thailand if you had a pulse they used to welcome you, mind you that was when they were broke...... Bit like a bug eating bargirl one minute, then she won't eat nothing but the best steak money can buy the next....... Both the Bargirl and Thailand has forgotten where they came from.......... 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1