Auntie nabbed for stealing from Bangkok taxi drivers

rooster59

Auntie nabbed for stealing from Bangkok taxi drivers

1290536-1280x720.jpg

Police have announced the arrest of a 58 year old Thai woman who went on a thieving spree targeting Bangkok taxi drivers.

The woman dubbed ‘Auntie Nongnuch’ was arrested on Thursday after stealing more than 5,000 baht in a spate of incidents over the past month.

Police said the woman would get in a taxi and tell the driver how she was the manager of a nearby hotel and that she had to go and buy something for one of the hotel’s foreign guests. 

However, the woman would explain how she only had her ATM card with her and that she needed to borrow the taxi driver’s cash to buy the item. 

She claimed that once she bought the item, she would go to an ATM and withdraw enough money to cover the money she borrowed and the fee for the taxi ride.

65196.jpg

But guess what?

[SPOILER ALERT]

After walking into the mall with the money she had borrowed from the taxi driver, Auntie Nongnuch legged it, never to be seen again. 

Or at least never to be seen again until police finally arrested her on Thursday after learning she had fled to her hometown of Kanchanaburi.

Auntie Nongnuch confessed to the crimes, saying it she did it in order to make money to support her kids. 

Police said she had carried out the thefts in Bang Rak, Bangkok Noi, Tao Poon, Bang Kan and Nang Loeng districts of Bangkok.

Auntie Nongnuch is currently being held in custody pending further legal proceedings. 

Source: Spring News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-15
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2020 at 11:14 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

It surprises me that she convinced taxi drivers to do that.

Most taxi drivers are honest guys just making a living, and would probably be willing to help out an auntie by waiting a few minutes.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Waiting yes, but advancing money to her?

That's the professional skill that defines con-men (or con-woman).  They have the knack for getting through the surprisingly thin defensive barrier most people have.  They prey on the fact most people find it difficult to tell another person they don't trust them.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Waiting yes, but advancing money to her?

Well, if you read the article (it is in Thai), she didn't inform the driver that she didn't have enough money until they already reached the destination, a mall in the Pinklao area, which already puts the driver in an awkward spot.

Edit:  I know what you mean, and if it was me I would probably ask for collateral or even a photo at least, but I can see how some fell victim.

Edited by YTP