Chiang Mai: "Farang" attacked me from behind, tried to kill me and robbed me, says bloodied Thai student

rooster59

Not all Thais are completely ignorant of the outside world. Plenty know the difference between various European nationalities and Australians/Americans/Canadians. Though the term "farang" simply describes anyone of European descent.

Anyway, crime happens everywhere and there are indeed farang criminals who might do something like this, but I have my doubts about this story. I have never heard of a farang randomly attacking another person, Thai or otherwise, in Thailand. Even Thais generally don't randomly attack strangers either, whether Thai, farang or another race/ethnicity/nationality. There is almost always more to these stories.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 5:06 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Not an Australian, American or Canadian then? Caucasian would have been a better term to use.

I find, as is common with Thai reporting, multiple salient facts missing from the story which sounds extremely strange, and somewhat dubious.

I am sure the TVF sleuths will work it out in due course though. :smile:

Ofcourse he first had a fluent conversation with the guy in an European language

• Haha 2

On 2/16/2020 at 9:59 AM, 5633572526 said:

Not normally used in USA 

America is very good at race baiting. That's why they prefer to use the terms "white" and "black" and on Wikipedia every American town has demographic categories like 67.87% white, 5.01% black etc. something which no other western country would do. I prefer the Australian description "of European descent" or "Mediterranean or Middle Eastern descent". It's more descriptive and less controversial. In America everyone is dumped into the "white" "black" or "Asian" category. That means someone who is from the Middle East may very well be considered "white" when in Australia they are correctly identified as being "Mediterranean or Middle Eastern".

On 2/16/2020 at 3:17 PM, Redline said:
On 2/15/2020 at 2:17 PM, Just Weird said:

Maybe, but the point is that the victim saw him.

If he didn’t hear him, or see his passport, there is not way he knows where he was from-impossible-all Americans (except natives) originally came from Europe 

He didn't say that he knew where the attacker was from, he said he thought he looked European.

"...all Americans (except natives) originally came from Europe"

You think? Really? Good grief.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2020 at 10:29 AM, neeray said:

As many on the forum seem to doubt the veracity of this story, I ask my Thai partner to research Thai language news media and give me an opinion. She says the facts as stated are real.

The facts are real?  what FACTS?  Jeeze

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Victornoir said:

All these pontificating comments on a term probably derived from an approximate translation.

The victim certainly specified "farang", hastily translated PC in "European".

Well, the stabbing and the accusation were not as approximate as the translation then.  I had it with this bashing on an absolute minority. The case needs to be taken care of by the police but not steamrollered on such platforms. 

Countless stabbings between Thais (apart from 60+ road deaths daily, raping, murders  and paedophiling - on a daily basis) are not noteworthy but once an alien farang farts in the wrong direction it is biggest possible news! 

There is law enforcement, be it agency or the corresponding laws, to deal with this; get REAL news out, approximate or not! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

He didn't say that he knew where the attacker was from, he said he thought he looked European.

I’m happy I could teach you something!  I guess you are farang?

47 minutes ago, Redline said:
18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I’m happy I could teach you something!  I guess you are farang?

I've no idea what that's supposed to mean, you haven't taught me anything and what has my being a foreigner got to do with this?

On 2/15/2020 at 3:06 AM, Nakmuay887 said:

The French sure do

On 2/16/2020 at 11:10 PM, drbeach said:

America is very good at race baiting. That's why they prefer to use the terms "white" and "black" and on Wikipedia every American town has demographic categories like 67.87% white, 5.01% black etc. something which no other western country would do. I prefer the Australian description "of European descent" or "Mediterranean or Middle Eastern descent". It's more descriptive and less controversial. In America everyone is dumped into the "white" "black" or "Asian" category. That means someone who is from the Middle East may very well be considered "white" when in Australia they are correctly identified as being "Mediterranean or Middle Eastern".

Completely untrue 

13 hours ago, hmficc said:

Completely untrue 

Actually, that's exactly the way it is in America - I think you're in deep denial or don't know what you're talking about. I felt uncomfortable constantly hearing "black" and "white" being used to label people when I lived in America. In Australia, people tend to use terms more appropriate to where they are from. Someone from Europe might be labeled a "Euro" or "<deleted>" from southern Europe (this is nowadays considered a little discriminatory but only more recently) - the police simply say "we're looking for a suspect of Caucasian or European appearance". In America "we're looking for a white (or black) guy".

In any case, Americans are absolutely obsessed with race. The fact they ask what your race is on every government form absolutely shocked me and made me feel very uncomfortable. In Australia, they generally only ask whether you are "Aboriginal or Torres Strait islander" or your cultural background (they give you a list of countries) on the census form. Never do they ask you to list yourself as "black" or "white" or "Pacific Islander/Asian" like in America.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, drbeach said:

n any case, Americans are absolutely obsessed with race. The fact they ask what your race is on every government form absolutely shocked me and made me feel very uncomfortable. In Australia, they generally only ask whether you are "Aboriginal or Torres Strait islander" or your cultural background (they give you a list of countries) on the census form. Never do they ask you to list yourself as "black" or "white" or "Pacific Islander/Asian" like in America.

Hopefully you have moved back to Australia then, as you are more comfortable dealing with race as Australians do.    :biggrin:

Edited by LomSak27
  • Haha 1

On 2/15/2020 at 5:41 PM, Megascott said:

Everyone knows,

Balding old guy, Tee shirt and khaki shorts wearing Birkinstocks = American.

Well dressed and hiking in golf shoes = British.

Scruffy looking bear of a bloke wearing Road worker colors and Crocs = Aussie.

Well trimmed long beard but sporting a huge Man bun with Bob Marley Dreads extensions = European.  <<<<< Must have been this guy!

What about Canadians? What's our description? 

On 2/15/2020 at 1:15 PM, Swede65 said:

What strike me as odd is that when he got back up he found the camera and WALLET was missing... Hmmm... Did he have his wallet out taking pictures of it or? Or did he lose it tumbling down? 

No matter what happened a sad story, either because it really happened or the need to make something up...

I'm not saying local yaba gangs were involved,  but I bet he owed some people at least the amount of money in his wallet plus what the pawn shop gave him for the camera and tripod.