Chiang Mai: "Farang" attacked me from behind, tried to kill me and robbed me, says bloodied Thai student

rooster59

5 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Not an Australian, American or Canadian then? Caucasian would have been a better term to use.

I find, as is common with Thai reporting, multiple salient facts missing from the story which sounds extremely strange, and somewhat dubious.

I am sure the TVF sleuths will work it out in due course though. :smile:

Go back a few dozen generations and you will see Australians, Americans, and Canadians all came from Europe.

For an Asian victim to describe his attacker as "white European" is simply a very correct description. All people with  a right mind know exactly what he means. It takes form farangs though to narrowmindedly try to find "something" to bitch and wonder about.

"Multiple facts are missing." Its hilarious, if a farang kills himself, or has an accident, it has to be a cover up for a  murder, if a Thai person get attacked by a Caucasian male, a farang, then, this cannot be true, for sure the Thai is not attacked and something else has happened.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Was it a white skinned Thai?

i have my doubts about accuracy of story....

especially when looking at the picture. Either too much light in the photo or that Thai student has light skin.

Edited by TKDfella

Everyone knows,

Balding old guy, Tee shirt and khaki shorts wearing Birkinstocks = American.

Well dressed and hiking in golf shoes = British.

Scruffy looking bear of a bloke wearing Road worker colors and Crocs = Aussie.

Well trimmed long beard but sporting a huge Man bun with Bob Marley Dreads extensions = European.  <<<<< Must have been this guy!

Edited by Megascott
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Swede65 said:

What strike me as odd is that when he got back up he found the camera and WALLET was missing... Hmmm... Did he have his wallet out taking pictures of it or? Or did he lose it tumbling down? 

No matter what happened a sad story, either because it really happened or the need to make something up...

Why rush to assume he made something up?

• Like 1

He says he lost his wallet.  So he got hit from behind and rolled down a ravine and hid in some bushes.  So he left his wallet laying on the ground?  At least he did manage to hold on to his cellphone.

Or was he taking a selfie with his cellphone next to the edge of a steep hill and fell off like many others have done in the past.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, mduras01 said:

It took an HOUR for the ambulance to arrive?

According to the article it was in Doi Pui, which is easily 30-45 minutes past Doi Suthep. Also this assumes they are near the Ranger Station of Doi Pui Park and not on a trail further down the road which adds 15-45 minutes.

Doi Pui is a really far off location for a crime to be committed. Its either the perfect location, or a made-up location. Theres nothing really back there for farangs except villages with hilltribes folk, so the the alleged criminal either was camping in the Doi Pui park (so they have his details), or he drove 1.5 hours from Chiang Mai to commit this crime (his vehicle would be on the multiple CCTV along the road)

Its also possible he is an avid hiker, and took a trail from Huay Tung Taow Reservoir up to Chiang Kian Village (around 2+ hours up) and over to Doi Pui Park (+.5 hour).... It just seems like a lot of trouble to go commit a crime up there. Unless this guy scopes out places photographers go alone and just waits? Doi Pui is known for its photogenic sunsets. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Right. But he didn´t say farang, he said European. If I see a white guy and don´t hear him talking I usually can´t say if he is American, Australian or European. 

What would you say if you were describing a bloke of Chinese origin? I suspect you'd say Asian. But that Asian could have been born in Beijing, London, New York, Sydney etc. 

I guess the same logic applies to the word European when used as a description. Similar to saying Afro / Caribbean. 

Personally I can't imagine the type of farang who would commit this kind of offence would be hanging out in Doi Suthep. The story sounds fishy, but who knows.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

What would you say if you were describing a bloke of Chinese origin? I suspect you'd say Asian. But that Asian could have been born in Beijing, London, New York, Sydney etc. 

I guess the same logic applies to the word European when used as a description. Similar to saying Afro / Caribbean. 

Personally I can't imagine the type of farang who would commit this kind of offence would be hanging out in Doi Suthep. The story sounds fishy, but who knows.  

Usually Thais call westerns "farang" what includes white people from USA, Australia, New Zealand and Europe. But he didn´t say that. He said "European" what means he is not from the USA, not from Australia and not from New Zealand. Also not a white man from South Africa or South America. He is from Europe. What can be a light brown Spanish or a white Swedish guy.

With the "fishy" I agree. 

7 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Usually Thais call westerns "farang" what includes white people from USA, Australia, New Zealand and Europe. But he didn´t say that. He said "European" what means he is not from the USA, not from Australia and not from New Zealand. Also not a white man from South Africa or South America. He is from Europe. What can be a light brown Spanish or a white Swedish guy.

With the "fishy" I agree. 

Maybe hi-so Thais use the term Farang less, and use European more? I don't know. I agree it's an unusual choice of description from a Thai. 

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

First page no word or concern about the student attacked, or condemnation of alledged assailant,

I trust he recovers without too much trauma

You must read more carefully. I expressed my concern for his recovery on the first page in post #6.

10 hours ago, neeray said:

I would think that a European looks about the same as an American, Aussie, Kiwi or a Canadian. Maybe the victim relates (in his mind) more to Europeans. Perhaps "white skinned" would be more accurate.

He's lucky though that this was the extent of his injuries. Hope he recovers soon and returns to his education.

Is a “special” thaivisa “translation” from Thai language news.

The victim not speak English.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Sanook made no mention of having contacted the police to confirm this story, notes Thaivisa.

“Notes” thaivisa.

But...... here he is at the Police station!

• Like 1