‘Chinese’ tourists accused of doing runner from Chiang Mai restaurant without paying bill

rooster59

‘Chinese’ tourists accused of doing runner from Chiang Mai restaurant without paying bill

Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 10.53.45.png

Three Chinese tourists have been accused of fleeing from a restaurant in Chiang Mai without paying the bill.

According to CM108, the trio had been eating at a khao soi restaurant on Ratchaphruek Road, Chang Phueak on Thursday when they failed to settle the bill which totalled the princely sum of 260 baht.

Once they had finished eating, the three tourists left the restaurant and got in a rented car that was parked outside.

After realising, the owner of the restaurant got in his car and drove around the area looking for the group.

Their vehicle was eventually spotted not too far away and the owner of the restaurant approached them.

The owner tried to explain in both Thai and English that the trio had failed to pay for their food, which the Chinese tourists apparently did not understand.

Then, without uttering a word in the form of an apology, one of the windows in the car was wound down with one of the group simply handing over the 260 baht to the restaurant owner before driving off.

The restaurant owner told CM108 that very occasionally foreign tourists will up and leave the restaurant without paying. But they nearly always realise their mistake, come back to settle their bill and apologise.

But not this time.

The restaurant owner warned others to be on the lookout for non-paying customers.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, song0674 said:

Typical Thai resturant with poor service and lack of attention to customers. Notice that they are no staff taking of customers when they the Chinese tourists. 

If more Thai restuarants staff took care of their customers and waiters stood around to anyone needs anything (instead of playing their phone, chatting to other staff, staring out in complete opposite direction where everyone is sitting) - then maybe something like would be completely avoid.

Not saying that this was the logic of the Chinese tourists, but if i wanted to pay my food bill and there no restaurant staff in sight and had to wait for someone to come back - i would could consider packing up and leaving too

Really annoying I agree.  Happens almost every time I go out to eat in a busy restaurant,  Mainly in London but also locally as well.  Don't find the problem much in Indian restaurants though, as they tend to be far more attentive, but Italian ones are a nightmare!  Chinese restaurants seem to be pretty efficient but the waiters are usually surly, just as they are in China actually.

Maybe us complainers should just stick to McDonalds and KFC where the service is always slick and quick ????

Actually what we do in Thailand, when eating in local cheap places, is simply hand the money to a member of staff on the way out rather than sitting there getting hot under the collar, waiting for them to come to the table.  That's my wife's logical way of dealing with it.

Edited by dunroaming
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, song0674 said:

Typical Thai resturant with poor service and lack of attention to customers. Notice that they are no staff taking of customers when they the Chinese tourists. 

If more Thai restuarants staff took care of their customers and waiters stood around to anyone needs anything (instead of playing their phone, chatting to other staff, staring out in complete opposite direction where everyone is sitting) - then maybe something like would be completely avoid.

Not saying that this was the logic of the Chinese tourists, but if i wanted to pay my food bill and there no restaurant staff in sight and had to wait for someone to come back - i would could consider packing up and leaving too

We get food from this place twice a week, around lunch time customers given queue numbers, staff don't have time to look at their phones.

Best Khao Soi in Chiang Mai.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, song0674 said:

they see Chinese and think Coronavirus and go into hiding.

I saw in a Global House store how the staff standing together  in a group suddenly tried to disappear when they saw a Chinese coming

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I cant believe the guy got in his Car and drove around the area looking for these so called ' non payers "

And all for 260 Baht

People kill for 100 baht in Thailand. It's the principal, never mind about the consequences. That would be stage 2 thinking, which is a bit too challenging.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Why is it such a problem for some? I simply say " Gep tung khrap" or "Check bin khrap" and I get the bill in the next 30 seconds. My Thai GF does the same.

If I get bad service or bad food at a restaurant, I say nothing. I never go there again, and tell my friends.

That's fine and what we all do, if you can get a waiter to come anywhere near you.  Often though they manage to avoid customers like the plague, or coronavirus maybe now!

22 hours ago, Salerno said:

Others aren't thieves.

Exactly, you'd also have a good idea of what you owe through careful observation of the menu and basic arithmetic. Count it out and leave it plus a little extra to be sure under the water glass.

• Like 2