BANGKOK
how241

Eye floaters in one eye only. Wait or run to hospital ?

Hello, about 3 days ago I started to get eye floaters in one eye only. I am 65 years old, non smoker, and have never had them before. They look to me like small floating cobwebs or lines.  I do not have any other symptoms .  I am not seeing flashes of light or any strange colors. They are more apparent if I look at the empty wall but they seems to move/float away if I try to focus on them.  Last month I had a eye exam for glasses and nothing was mention but the floaters were not present at that time.  From what I have read on google this is common as people get older. They cause no pain and are mostly an annoyance as I sometimes think I am seeing mosquitoes in the house.  I would be very interested in what other board members have experienced.  Also I hope our resident expert, Sheryl,  will comment on this thread.  I guess my main question is should I run to the hospital for a eye exam  or just wait a few weeks to see if they settle down or go away.  Thanks in advance for any input.

Edited by how241

I also started getting them a couple of months ago, including flashes of light in my peripheral vision. I did read on the internet that the brain starts to ignore them after a while, but like you, I still keep thinking I am seeing mosquitos. No sign of them going away. Just have to get used to them.

I thought it is just part of getting older, but after watching that video I think I wil get my eyes checked.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2

Thanks  4MyEgo !!!    Excellent video and it definitely did relaxed me. Thanks for sharing your experience. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, phetphet said:

flashes of light in my peripheral vision.

From that posted video and what little I have read you might want to get this checked out as it could be the start of a retinal tear. I do not have the flashes of light, yet.

• Thanks 1

Just found this youtube video. Basically it says that a small study showed that eating pineapple helps reduce the floaters.  Here is the youtube video title:  Eye Floaters No More! New (Natural) Eye Floaters Treatment Research | Doctor Eye Health