Thailand reports one new case of coronavirus, brings total to 34

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand reports one new case of coronavirus, brings total to 34

2020-02-03T021713Z_5_LYNXMPEG110J0_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-HEALTH-USA.JPG

Image: Reuters file photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand has recorded one new case of coronavirus, bringing the total in the country to 34 since January, a health ministry official said on Saturday.

The new case is a 35-year-old Thai woman, a medical personnel, who got the disease from contact with a patient, Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchia, the director-general of the Department of Disease Control, told a news conference.

Fourteen people have recovered and returned home.

Over 1,500 people in China have died from the virus but Thailand has not recorded a fatality so far.

(Reporting by Orathai Sriring and Panarat Thepgummapat; Editing by Himani Sarkar)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-15
  • Sad 1

Thai female medical staff infected

n1.jpg

A Thai medical staffer was confirmed infected with Covid-19, bringing the number of confirmed cases to 34, the Department of Disease Control (DDC) reported on Saturday (February 15).

“The latest infected person is a female medical staff aged 35,” director-general Dr Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai said. “She had previously taken care of infected patients and was on the monitored list. When she displayed symptoms such as fever and respiratory abnormality, she was immediately quarantined at Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute.”

Since medical staff are at higher risk as they must have been in contact with infected persons and sometimes are exposed to other kinds of diseases, the DDC has been closely monitoring their conditions around the clock. “At present we have 24 more staff taking care of patients infected with Covid-19, none of whom has shown any symptoms and have tested negative for the virus,” said Suwanchai. “As for the infected staffer, she lives alone and has not made any contact with other people recently.”

The director-general also added that today another infected patient was discharged as she had fully recovered. “A female Chinese tourist aged 56 went home today,” he said. “This brings the number of confirmed infected people currently under hospital care to 20, while 14 have recovered and been released.”

“The Chinese authority reported yesterday [Friday February 14] that as of February 11 up to 1,716 Chinese medical staff were infected with the virus, or 3.8 per cent of total infected cases. Of the total, six had died, or 0.4 per cent of the total Covid-19 death toll,” said Suwanchai.

“The Ministry of Public Health therefore would like to insist that all medical staff in both the government and private sectors to strictly follow the virus prevention and control measures and use appropriate protective equipment when interacting with patients.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382193

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-15

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

all under control - if they say it often enough

meanwhile a farang who tested positive at the Satahip Naval hospital doesn't get a mention and he was obviously in contact with someone else who passed it to him - they couldn't admit him to the hospital as it was full, so who is telling porkies 

be very careful out there people, this virus is out of control in China - it started with one and now tens of thousands

Hi Smedly, do you have any link for that... Just for my info. Thanks

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

meanwhile a farang who tested positive at the Satahip Naval hospital doesn't get a mention and he was obviously in contact with someone else who passed it to him - they couldn't admit him to the hospital as it was full, so who is telling porkies 

I read the thread. That poster probably has coronavirus but not Cov-19. There are only 2 labs that can test Cov-19, one at Chula and another at Bamrasnaradura. It takes 24-48 hours to get the results. I don't think his was sent to these 2 labs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, macleans said:

I read the thread. That poster probably has coronavirus but not Cov-19. There are only 2 labs that can test Cov-19, one at Chula and another at Bamrasnaradura. It takes 24-48 hours to get the results. I don't think his was sent to these 2 labs.

Indeed, none of which however will prevent some poster from trying to convince us otherwise.

The reality is that if there was a large number of concealed cases in Thailand, every other country on the world would also have to be concealing cases too since Thailand's stats. are moving in line with those of every other country. I don't know, perhaps this is a globally orchestrated cover up, or there again, maybe it isn't!

Edited by saengd
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, smedly said:

all under control - if they say it often enough

be very careful out there people, this virus is out of control in China - it started with one and now tens of thousands

So you are saying that the Navy Hospital in Sattahip (Sirikit ?) told a 'farang' - Yes you have C-19, but sorry we can not help you as we are full .. and sent him packing? 

What is the source of that information please ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

So you are saying that the Navy Hospital in Sattahip (Sirikit ?) told a 'farang' - Yes you have C-19, but sorry we can not help you as we are full .. and sent him packing? 

What is the source of that information please ?

28 minutes ago, saengd said:

Indeed, none of which however will prevent some poster from trying to convince us otherwise.

The reality is that if there was a large number of concealed cases in Thailand, every other country on the world would also have to be concealing cases too since Thailand's stats. are moving in line with those of every other country. I don't know, perhaps this is a globally orchestrated cover up, or there again, maybe it isn't!

Most countries only test if you went to China or had contact with someone who was sick even if you develop pneumonia. Only Singapore started systematically testing all pneumonia cases since yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Most countries only test if you went to China or had contact with someone who was sick even if you develop pneumonia. Only Singapore started systematically testing all pneumonia cases since yesterday. 

You say "most". I cannot believe that in the face of a global pandemic there are not countries who undertake more stringent testing and that if the number of cases was being hidden that country's stats. would stick out like a sore thumb.....there are no country stats reported by the WHO that stand out in that way.

47 minutes ago, saengd said:

You say "most". I cannot believe that in the face of a global pandemic there are not countries who undertake more stringent testing and that if the number of cases was being hidden that country's stats. would stick out like a sore thumb.....there are no country stats reported by the WHO that stand out in that way.

It's not practical to test everyone yet and the existing cheap/fast tests are not reliable and need to be confirmed by some slow and specialized labs. If there is an uptick in pneumonia then it will eventually be noticeable but it's probably too early. I don't think it is hidden but they will only catch the obvious or severe cases in the short term unless they follow singapore model. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/all-pneumonia-patients-in-public-hospitals-here-being-tested-for-coronavirus-moh

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

It's not practical to test everyone yet and the existing cheap/fast tests are not reliable and need to be confirmed by some slow and specialized labs. If there is an uptick in pneumonia then it will eventually be noticeable but it's probably too early. I don't think it is hidden but they will only catch the obvious or severe cases in the short term unless they follow singapore model. 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/all-pneumonia-patients-in-public-hospitals-here-being-tested-for-coronavirus-moh

But it is practical and even desirable to test pneumonia patients and especially all deaths caused by pneumonia to determine if the virus was the primary cause, I am certain that is being done in some if not quite a few countries. In fact China recently increased their stats. significantly because this was being done, that in itself suggest other countries will be doing the same yet there is still no country apart from China that has shown a surge in cases.

15 minutes ago, saengd said:

But it is practical and even desirable to test pneumonia patients and especially all deaths caused by pneumonia to determine if the virus was the primary cause, I am certain that is being done in some if not quite a few countries. In fact China recently increased their stats. significantly because this was being done, that in itself suggest other countries will be doing the same yet there is still no country apart from China that has shown a surge in cases.

In China they increased the number of diagnosed cases because they added more parameters like CT scans but these cases have not been tested yet. 

"Hubei province, China: The numbers include clinically-diagnosed cases, which means they were not confirmed by laboratory testing." 

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

Some country like Japan (and more) don't even include asymptomatic cases that test positive. 

Edited by Tayaout

8 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Can only get worse until it gets better.

I am so confused here... They do not know what causes it and also do not have a vaccine or a cure for it as they have no idea about it... so how do they determine that someone really has it ?? Baffles me a bit here ??

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tayaout said:

In China they increased the number of diagnosed cases because they added more parameters like CT scans but these cases have not been tested yet. 

"Hubei province, China: The numbers include clinically-diagnosed cases, which means they were not confirmed by laboratory testing." 

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

Some country like Japan (and more) don't even include asymptomatic cases that test positive. 

Yes, CT scans prove pneumonia.

4 hours ago, annabel said:

I am so confused here... They do not know what causes it and also do not have a vaccine or a cure for it as they have no idea about it... so how do they determine that someone really has it ?? Baffles me a bit here ??

They do know what's causing it, it's caused by a specific corona virus and there is a specific test for it. A vaccine however is some way way i n the future because it takes a long time to develop a safe and effective vaccine for anything.

• Like 1

Just setting aside for a moment the theory that the WHO and every country in the world where the virus has been found are working together to cover up a large scale pandemic and the numbers are being substantially under reported....some observations:

Looking at the WHO daily SITREP it seems as though there is a distinct slowing in the total number of new cases and new deaths.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200215-sitrep-26-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=a4cc6787_2

It appears that all the deaths thus far have been Chinese people.

In a video interview, a Professor from Queens College London suggested that the epidemic in China would go into decline and that epidemics in other countries such as the UK would start to show an increase in the number of cases, similar to the pattern in China. It will be extremely interesting to see if this theory proves to be correct.

The good professor also went on to say that only something like only 10% of the total number of cases has been captured and reported, based on past experience. That does not imply however that the number of deaths has also been unreported since unreported cases will include those where there are no symptoms etc. and death is very clearly a symptom!!! My take on all of that is that the true fatality rate is far lower than than currently stated since the true number of cases would be 665,670 rather than 66,567 but the death rate would remain at 1,524.

• Like 2