Bangkok Dentist Rant

atyclb

It's for reasons like this that I have told my wife that categorically under no circumstances, no matter what happens to me should she allow anyone in Thailand to operate on me, no matter how minor, even if it saves my life.

Edited by SteveK
  • Haha 2

Something like this happened to me in Germany at a dentist called very good. Thailand has very good dentists and they do their job for next to nothing. But of course there are bad ones too. I have experienced both here. If you are in Pattaya I can send you a private message with the name of one that never disappointed me in very many years - at least until now... There is never a 100 percent guarantee. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, samsensam said:

surprisingly this sort of thing happens all over the world, if you are having an operation on, for example, one leg the surgical team, as part of pre-op, will clearly identify the leg with marker pen

Not always they marked the correct one... 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Beggar said:

Something like this happened to me in Germany at a dentist called very good. Thailand has very good dentists and they do their job for next to nothing. But of course there are bad ones too. I have experienced both here. If you are in Pattaya I can send you a private message with the name of one that never disappointed me in very many years - at least until now... There is never a 100 percent guarantee. 

not next to nothing. in se asia thai dental care is rather expensive.  unless true emergency i get all dental work done in da nang vietnam, the money saved easily pays the plane fare plus i breathe clean air on a nice beach

• Like 1

Don't most root canals require a pin or some insert in order to help anchor the crown?  If you need a really really good dentist, fly your butt to Rancho Bernardo, which is north of San Diego, CA, and see Doctor Lozano.  Over the years I even schedule my visits there when out that way visiting on vacation.  It is well worth it.

35 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Don't most root canals require a pin or some insert in order to help anchor the crown?  If you need a really really good dentist, fly your butt to Rancho Bernardo, which is north of San Diego, CA, and see Doctor Lozano.  Over the years I even schedule my visits there when out that way visiting on vacation.  It is well worth it.

that was an already crowned tooth that developed pulpitis. the root canal was done without removing the crown.

another tooth that broke below the gumline had a rct and a pin to help secure the crown. normally a tooth with adequate structural integrity just has a rct i dont think a pin is needed

11 hours ago, Beggar said:

I agree with that, the dentist I have used in Bangkok for many years is top notch the best if I have used. I have recommended him to several visiting friends and all speak very highly of him. 

People often blame dentists for persistent pain. What patients do not appreciate is that the cause of the pain may  be in an adjacent tooth or due to grinding or something else. Yes, maybe an incorrect  xray may have been taken. However, some people do not give clear instructions or speak coherently, while others present with so many issues and remediations that it can be confusing to the  health practioner who does not ahve benefit of a complete history and previous  xrays.

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

So x-ray was done by a 3rd party - and you did not notice the bite-wing was being taken on the wrong side?  So 3 people messed up - tech taking wrong side x-ray, doctor not notice, you not knowing left from right.  Almost a full house.

apparently they shot lower teeth rather than upper.  since when are patients supposed to evaluate bite wing position?  so patients fault also

14 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yes the OP is in Thailand and we are talking about Thai dentists, so the obvious thing is to buy a 30k ticket plus plus to go for a dentist check up in the USA..

Amazing info..thanks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, couchpotato said:
15 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yes the OP is in Thailand and we are talking about Thai dentists, so the obvious thing is to buy a 30k ticket plus plus to go for a dentist check up in the USA..

Amazing info..thanks.

he did say he sees dentist while on vacation there. i could understand his comment as he has high confidence in that dentist.

• Like 1

I used a dentist in Pattaya years back for two bridges, three crowns plus assorted other work, I though he was excellent, I have never needed another dental visit since then, I recommended him, I think on this forum and someone replied that he was a "butcher" and should be subject too a slow and painful ending, our experiences were obviously different! 

There are good ones out there!

considering you have said they didn't remove the Crown; surely the dentist did a visual?

- as the patch fixing the drilled access hole, for the hotwire, would have been quite noticeable 

(contrasting against the original existing enamel) 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

'Fly your butt!'

????????????????

And your teeth!

You Yanks make me giggle!!!

Edited by roo860
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Beggar said:

Apart from extractions. Thai dentists are very expensive and in my opinion most are totally useless. Had one wanted to extract 8 teeth and do implants at a cost of almost 500k....booked a flight to PI....total work, two extractions and cap with fillings at a cost of just over 4k baht...never again here thank you very much

8 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

My experience of dentists in Thailand is nothing but positive. 

I go to an excellent dentist in Hua Hin. Standards are much better than any dentist I went to in the UK. 

Agree.  I have an excellent dentist in Chiang Mai that I've been going to for the better part of the last 10+ years.  Perhaps the OP is just unlucky.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tifino said:

considering you have said they didn't remove the Crown; surely the dentist did a visual?

- as the patch fixing the drilled access hole, for the hotwire, would have been quite noticeable 

(contrasting against the original existing enamel) 

what is a "hotwire"?

yes she said she saw the patched hole on the crown and commented that there was no packing in the root.

likely the xray tech messed up.  i had a total of 3 trips to the xray booth. 3rd trip the dentist also looked at position.

Edited by atyclb

12 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Apart from extractions. Thai dentists are very expensive and in my opinion most are totally useless. Had one wanted to extract 8 teeth and do implants at a cost of almost 500k....booked a flight to PI....total work, two extractions and cap with fillings at a cost of just over 4k baht...never again here thank you very much

What is PI? Here in Thailand I avoid the dentists in the private hospitals. They are really expensive. For implants I know a very good dentist here in Pattaya. Just talked to a German guy and his implant needs to be replaced after 7 years. He will do it for free.