Bangkok Dentist Rant

atyclb

11 hours ago, pitrevie said:

I agree with that, the dentist I have used in Bangkok for many years is top notch the best if I have used. I have recommended him to several visiting friends and all speak very highly of him. 

Would you mind naming him?

12 minutes ago, atyclb said:

what is a "hotwire"?

... the element used to burn (kill) the nerve 

when in action, you would be hard pressed, to not notice the whisps of smoke, and the smell...  

?maybe they do it differently these days? my root canal memories go back to 1979 

10 minutes ago, tifino said:
25 minutes ago, atyclb said:

what is a "hotwire"?

... the element used to burn (kill) the nerve 

when in action, you would be hard pressed, to not notice the whisps of smoke, and the smell...  

?maybe they do it differently these days? my root canal memories go back to 1979 

no such thing that i can find.  post a link to hotwire for rct even if historic

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Beggar said:

What is PI? Here in Thailand I avoid the dentists in the private hospitals. They are really expensive. For implants I know a very good dentist here in Pattaya. Just talked to a German guy and his implant needs to be replaced after 7 years. He will do it for free. 

PI-Philippines....I dont need implants....thats it, all they wanna do is pull your teeth out and do implants...theyve never heard of fillings or capping.

.honestly tried over 20 in pattaya and all a load of rubbish

49 minutes ago, baansgr said:
1 hour ago, Beggar said:

What is PI? Here in Thailand I avoid the dentists in the private hospitals. They are really expensive. For implants I know a very good dentist here in Pattaya. Just talked to a German guy and his implant needs to be replaced after 7 years. He will do it for free. 

PI-Philippines....I dont need implants....thats it, all they wanna do is pull your teeth out and do implants...theyve never heard of fillings or capping.

implants are very profitable but if the tooth foundation and root is in good shape why pull it out? cap / crown

45 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Philippines has excellent doctors - dentists and others. This was my experience too. The worst thing in Thailand was a diagnosed lung cancer. I showed the scans to a professor in Manila. He was laughing. He said they tried to rip me off and gave me Ibuprofen for three days and the pain in my breast was gone. And you are right. It took a me a while until I found this one guy here in Pattaya. 

I'm totally lost. If that's how you explained your problem to the dentist I'm sure everything can go wrong.

What's the problem? They did an x-ray and you're complaining about it OR did the opposite side?

Was a a well known hospital? LARGE well known clinic?

As was stated just bc a tooth hurts does not necessarily mean that tooth has the issue.

I had a very expensive root canal done here at the old Dental Clinic. The woman who did it was a bit of a bit** but good work. Root canals are nothing to cheap out on.

Just go to Vietnam...I'm sure they're having a big sale on dental procedures of late 19th century.

Great dentists here, but you have to pay for them. It's about 30% less than states.

1 hour ago, tifino said:

do it differently these days?

1979 yes, far more advanced techniques. Vietnam prolly 1960s East German training.

Yes in Thailand they will do it using a scope if you go to the right place. Otherwise it's just wish and prayer they have all the infection and bad pulp out.

56 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I'm totally lost. If that's how you explained your problem to the dentist I'm sure everything can go wrong.

i also provided a clear and detailed HPI

What's the problem? They did an x-ray and you're complaining about it OR did the opposite side?

Was a a well known hospital? LARGE well known clinic?

a well known mall dental practice

As was stated just bc a tooth hurts does not necessarily mean that tooth has the issue.

if one particular tooth hurts spontaneously, hurts if tapped, hurts if used to chew food, hurts if in contact with cold  what would you say is the non tooth etiology?

its ok feel free to list multiple possibilities that come to mind aka DDX

I had a very expensive root canal done here at the old Dental Clinic. The woman who did it was a bit of a bit** but good work. Root canals are nothing to cheap out on.

a high price does in no way insure a good result. 

Just go to Vietnam...I'm sure they're having a big sale on dental procedures of late 19th century.

i have had multiple crowns, 2 root canals, cavities, and scaling with my vietnam dentist. she speaks english great and explains everything like a dental school professor does and the office is 21st century modern and has japanese technology including digital xray and lots more. actually more advanced than my usa dentist had.

"dental procedures of late 19th century"  just silly and ignorant

Great dentists here, but you have to pay for them. It's about 30% less than states.

Edited by atyclb

38 minutes ago, Number 6 said:
2 hours ago, tifino said:

do it differently these days?

1979 yes, far more advanced techniques. Vietnam prolly 1960s East German training.

Yes in Thailand they will do it using a scope if you go to the right place. Otherwise it's just wish and prayer they have all the infection and bad pulp out.

a dom is the exception and not the rule. vast majority of rct in thailand are done without dom's and like the rest of the world have a high success rate.

a rct should be thorough and meticulous and has antiseptic lavage as well  far from being a prayer

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

no such thing that i can find.  post a link to hotwire for rct even if historic

being mine was 40+ years ago, recalling full detail is understandably tedious...

Mine was done by military uniformed dentist. 

Never saw directly what the instrument looked like, and being he was an Officer, it was a matter of stay quiet, and open your mouth. So all I gathered was via open ears.

Anyways, I have been trying for links, but the only reference to some toll in the RCT treatment; is the Ultrasonic one. This instrument produced Heat via Friction

Dunno... it was sooo long ago. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4963757/ 

this following, is an extract of the above:

[quote]Ultrasonic instrument removed more material from the root canals within short period and produced very little extrusion. The ultrasonic vibration from the ultrasonic tip promoted the displacement of filling material from the root canal walls facilitating sealer removal and frictional heat produced by ultrasonic instrument causes synergistic effect on gutta-percha leading to softening and displacement of gutta-percha from the root canal [13]. [quote]

I only remember the dentist mentioning 'Heat/Burning'

and that I saw smoke... 

maybe for the time, the Ultrasonic was at the time, a new fangled method trialled?

The military can be known as an adventurous lot! and willing to experiment

25 minutes ago, tifino said:

being mine was 40+ years ago, recalling full detail is understandably tedious...

Mine was done by military uniformed dentist. 

Never saw directly what the instrument looked like, and being he was an Officer, it was a matter of stay quiet, and open your mouth. So all I gathered was via open ears.

Anyways, I have been trying for links, but the only reference to some toll in the RCT treatment; is the Ultrasonic one. This instrument produced Heat via Friction

Dunno... it was sooo long ago. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4963757/ 

this following, is an extract of the above:

[quote]Ultrasonic instrument removed more material from the root canals within short period and produced very little extrusion. The ultrasonic vibration from the ultrasonic tip promoted the displacement of filling material from the root canal walls facilitating sealer removal and frictional heat produced by ultrasonic instrument causes synergistic effect on gutta-percha leading to softening and displacement of gutta-percha from the root canal [13]. [quote]

I only remember the dentist mentioning 'Heat/Burning'

and that I saw smoke... 

maybe for the time, the Ultrasonic was at the time, a new fangled method trialled?

The military can be known as an adventurous lot! and willing to experiment

heat by friction is a lot different than what you described; heated wife/filament

sound like standard motorized pulp file.  motor spins flexible file that inserts in root canal.

I developed a great fear of dentists from childhood experience back when they used less modern techniques. These dentists (aka butchers) would visit the school to perform their work.

So today, when the dentist comes into the room and stands by my side, tilts the chair back, I always do this. I reach out and grasp his testicles in my strong hand, give them a squeeze until I see him wince, maybe even grown a bit from a little pain.

Then I say to him, "now Doc, we aren't going to hurt each other today, are we"?

No dentist has ever hurt me in my adult life !

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Yes the OP is in Thailand and we are talking about Thai dentists, so the obvious thing is to buy a 30k ticket plus plus to go for a dentist check up in the USA..

Amazing info..thanks.

well if you value your dental affairs then yes, take vacation and go get proper and the best care to avoid future issues. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

well if you value your dental affairs then yes, take vacation and go get proper and the best care to avoid future issues. 

I for one am very happy to use dentists outside USA (memories are not good - and grandfather and two uncles were dentists).  My only real pain was from US dentists (not family).  Have been using in Thailand since 1971 (flying here via Calcutta to avoid the foot powered drill of the only dentist in Dacca, East Pakistan).  Yes there are good and less so dentists here as elsewhere but in general dental care is good and of world standard.  But not as cheap as it might be expected as all procedures are done by doctor.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2020 at 9:22 PM, atyclb said:

a dom is the exception and not the rule. vast majority of rct in thailand are done without dom's and like the rest of the world have a high success rate.

a rct should be thorough and meticulous and has antiseptic lavage as well  far from being a prayer

Spending half and accepting only a *high success rate* sounds like a risk I'm not willing to take. There are no refunds if the tooth is reinfected. You will pay twice. Most likely lose the tooth.

Sounds positively caveman not to use the best technology and the doctors that know how to use it.

Up to you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Number 6 said:
On 2/16/2020 at 9:22 PM, atyclb said:

Spending half and accepting only a *high success rate* sounds like a risk I'm not willing to take. There are no refunds if the tooth is reinfected. You will pay twice. Most likely lose the tooth.

Sounds positively caveman not to use the best technology and the doctors that know how to use it.

Up to you.

prior to using terms like "caveman" please post some links to peer reviewed studies that compare dom aided rct's to non dom aided rct's that show results for both.

fyi, i had a cone beam ct also done in vietnam. success rates for rct are exceptionally high when done properly even without dom which relative few centers even have.

my tooth that had rct is fine, not an issue. my other tooth that also had rct in vietnam is also doing great.

Edited by atyclb

My teeth are terrible, nightmarish and $ 20,000 may not be enough to get them 'sorted' in the USA.

A toothache was bothering me and i knew exactly  w h i c h  tooth ached. The public hospital in HA LONG had a room with 4 or 5 chairs and about 7 dentists, standing around. A young doc made me open my mouth and hammered with a metal tool on some other tooth. Insisting that this was the bad tooth. (No xray). I protested and he was adamant. That 1 minute of surreal nonsense cost 350,000 VND and I'm still upset.

Many Vietnamese are incredibly self-centered, far into the autistic spectrum. The other day, I witnessed the rider of a scooter almost getting killed. He drove between 2 lanes on the highway. A car came speeding & honking. The car was overtaking, when he swerved into the car's path. Oblivious to the noise, not looking into his mirror, acting, as if he was the only man on the highway.

3 hours ago, WonnabeBiker said:

My teeth are terrible, nightmarish and $ 20,000 may not be enough to get them 'sorted' in the USA.

A toothache was bothering me and i knew exactly  w h i c h  tooth ached. The public hospital in HA LONG had a room with 4 or 5 chairs and about 7 dentists, standing around. A young doc made me open my mouth and hammered with a metal tool on some other tooth. Insisting that this was the bad tooth. (No xray). I protested and he was adamant. That 1 minute of surreal nonsense cost 350,000 VND and I'm still upset.

Many Vietnamese are incredibly self-centered, far into the autistic spectrum. The other day, I witnessed the rider of a scooter almost getting killed. He drove between 2 lanes on the highway. A car came speeding & honking. The car was overtaking, when he swerved into the car's path. Oblivious to the noise, not looking into his mirror, acting, as if he was the only man on the highway.

such an experience can happen anywhere even in a developed country and vice a versa.  i personally know cases in which people were misdiagnosed or operated on incorrectly in the usa and fixed it in developing countries.  i personally saw a usa dermatologist for lesions on my face that treated me for acne but was a completely wrong diagnosis of what should have been an easy call.  a thailand dermatologist diagnosed it correctly and used a laser to remove them. 

personally i would not make first choice a viet public hospital dental clinic though there are competent dentusts there also. my dantist in da nang also works at a public hospital but has told me they lack some technology available in private clinics.  funding related

Edited by atyclb

12 minutes ago, atyclb said:

personally i would not make first choice a viet public hospital dental clinic though there are competent dentusts there also. my dantist in da nang also works at a public hospital but has told me they lack some technology available in private clinics.  funding related

I avoid dental clinics in hospitals everywhere. The dentists are only employees. I think a good dentist has his own clinic and is more concerned about his reputation than a no-name employee. But of course this is no guarantee too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beggar said:
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

I avoid dental clinics in hospitals everywhere. The dentists are only employees. I think a good dentist has his own clinic and is more concerned about his reputation than a no-name employee. But of course this is no guarantee too. 

dental clinic within a public university dental program should be fine

finally i messaged my vietnam dentist and told her about my tooth. pain on chewing and sometimes ache and cold sensitivity.  she suggected isolating the suspect tooth and using a piece of wood to bite gently. sure enough i duplicated the pain in the suspect tooth. furthermore she had me see if the pain occurs on bite or upon release of the bite pressure.  pain occurs upon release consistent with a cracked tooth.  pain upon bite suggests a root apical problem.

my bangkok dentist simply tested by tapping my teeth. since the pain is upon chewing why tap? replicate chewing pressure and test like my viet dentist said.  sooner or later will need a rct and crown on the tooth.

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

finally i messaged my vietnam dentist and told her about my tooth. pain on chewing and sometimes ache and cold sensitivity.  she suggected isolating the suspect tooth and using a piece of wood to bite gently. sure enough i duplicated the pain in the suspect tooth. furthermore she had me see if the pain occurs on bite or upon release of the bite pressure.  pain occurs upon release consistent with a cracked tooth.  pain upon bite suggests a root apical problem.

my bangkok dentist simply tested by tapping my teeth. since the pain is upon chewing why tap? replicate chewing pressure and test like my viet dentist said.  sooner or later will need a rct and crown on the tooth.

Unfortunately a cracked tooth needs extraction, no way to fix it if it's deep 

Edited by madmen

6 hours ago, madmen said:
7 hours ago, atyclb said:

https://www.aae.org/patients/dental-symptoms/cracked-teeth/

On 2/22/2020 at 2:56 AM, madmen said:

that is true but cracked teeth dont often show up on xrays thuse the assumption is trial rct and crown. if that fails then extraction