3M Filtrete roll...it’s in Thai...which side goes in..?

mikey88

I ordered the 3M Filtrete roll for the split system air con.

Its come and of course it’s all in Thai.

It’s just a roll of electrostatic filter material....but is there a correct side to lay over the a/c filters.

There appears to be no instruction on which side to use....anyone with experience care to comment...?

Does it matter at all ?

Appreciate any help.

I just bought a 96 inch x 15 inch roll from Lazada for Bht 450 after paying Bht 279 for one sheet in HomePro. 

I do not think it matters which way round it goes. 

One problem is that the distance from the top inlet on my Mitsu a/c to the bottom of the front inlet is....16 inches, so there is a slight gap. I pulled it tight and it does stretch a bit. You get sticky tape with it, but I found masking tape to be easier and stronger.

As to whether it does any good.........if I don't get Corona, or lung congestion from 2.5s, the answer is yes. But of course, you have to keep all your windoes and doors closed, and sealed, for it to do any good as the a/c only recycles air in the room.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stouricks said:

One problem is that the distance from the top inlet on my Mitsu a/c to the bottom of the front inlet is....16 inches, so there is a slight gap. I pulled it tight and it does stretch a bit. You get sticky tape with it, but I found masking tape to be easier and stronger.

You know you are only supposed to cover 2/3 of the existing filter with filtrete? - to prevent reduced air flow.

• Like 1

You mean so the 2.5 micron bits can get through the 1/3 uncovered. I think not. The 3M website says cover ALL the inlet.

The Filtrete is so full of holes it will not reduce any airflow, and I wonder how it stops anything. Put a piece on my PC fan inlet, and it's black after 4 days.

I suppose I could have put one piece on the top filter, then missed an inch where the plastic casing is, and taped another piece on the front. Seems simple but I couldn't be a..sed

32 minutes ago, stouricks said:

You mean so the 2.5 micron bits can get through the 1/3 uncovered. I think not. The 3M website says cover ALL the inlet.

The Filtrete is so full of holes it will not reduce any airflow, and I wonder how it stops anything. Put a piece on my PC fan inlet, and it's black after 4 days.

I suppose I could have put one piece on the top filter, then missed an inch where the plastic casing is, and taped another piece on the front. Seems simple but I couldn't be a..sed

Just repeating what I understand, yes the "particles get by the filter - But the air is being recirculated, next time around they are captured ???? 

Edited by CGW
Link
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Just repeating what I understand, yes the "particles get by the filter - But the air is being recirculated, next time around they are captured ???? 

This is different from the instructions on the Thai product which says put it over the entire inlet.

This makes more sense.

1 minute ago, saengd said:

The Thai product is quite wrong, the risk is that by covering the entire filter that it will increase the energy required to run the air con unit once it starts to become blocked and will cause the unit to fail prematurely.

Sorry, I meant the US video makes more sense. Shall re-fit my Filtrete soon.