Thailand to recruit 10,000 foreign teachers to boost English standards of Thai kids

rooster59

5 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

I've taught English for 15 years in 3 countries in Asia and I have a regional UK accent that's not particularly strong.  It's actually about correct pronunciation not accent . In the US there are some folk with accents which 

have a problem with pronouncing correctly 

Who decides what is correct pronunciation and what isn't ?

• Thanks 1

There is a vast difference between a native English speaker and a person trained to teach English as a Foreign language.  Neither Thais nor Farangs appear to realise this, but this is one reason why English teaching in Thailand is so poor.

How many on this board would be happy learning Thai from any old Thai they meet.

19 hours ago, bbi1 said:

They realise that the Yanks speak American, not English lol

Yes, better off hiring out of Manchester, Brighton, Brixton, Liverpool, most of London now. I'm sure they will do a stellar job. Just require them to take the marbles out of their mouths before speaking. North American accent is the preference for North and South East Asia. Still butthurt about losing the colonies 250 years ago?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I think you should all pack your teaching jobs in and move to countries where you will be appreciated and get paid accordingly with the benefits from what I read you are not really wanted anyway 

In my younger days I was good at what I did and if you wanted me then you pay what I wanted or I dont go, I was not a teacher.

Second job turned second career:

I'm paid very well. No way I could save what I bank each month back home.

EFL teachers have almost no training. Some might have a CELTA or post grad diploma. The better ones train themselves up. The others just leave early and moan about the pay.

Excepting international schools I don't know why anyone would expect to make the same wages for teaching as their home country, they are simply not qualified.

Wages need to come up, but so does the quality of teaching and poor work ethic.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Yes, better off hiring out of Manchester, Brighton, Brixton, Liverpool, most of London now. I'm sure they will do a stellar job. Just require them to take the marbles out of their mouths before speaking. North American accent is the preference for North and South East Asia. Still butthurt about losing the colonies 250 years ago?

Yes, I'm Norte Americano y puede pretty bueno.  I could teach with a New Jersey or southern drawl accent, maybe teach them a few choice Yiddish expressions. 

I used to work for an old American company that was purchased by a British company.  They didn't seem too butthurt.  The few British folks that came over to work were happy to celebrate Good Riddance Day (4th of July).  Just another holiday.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/16/2020 at 10:03 PM, TEFLKrabi said:

Does it matter where they come from if they speak English and can teach? I’d love to see them create opportunities for some of the retired expats too, giving them a few hours a week and a little extra income. Training only takes 3-4 weeks if done properly. 

I realize there are a great many bored, old codgers out there but the idea of hiring individuals +60 with no classroom experience is going to be a waste of time. Further, only so many hours a day so while they have you dicking around in the class wasting time they could be learning something. Finally, pay was mentioned. Personally, as an administrator I wouldn't pay more than b100 an hour. Does 200b a day sound appealing? That's four hours if you prep for class.

If these persons are serious about making a salary, they should at 65 go get a TEFL and try their luck in the marketplace. But really no one wants a low energy 65 year old retiree. Double especially if not in peak of health. It's not happened because it's a bad idea. Schools don't need a bunch of old grandpa running around griping about this and that.

Go get a job at a language school

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Second job turned second career:

I'm paid very well. No way I could save what I bank each month back home.

EFL teachers have almost no training. Some might have a CELTA or post grad diploma. The better ones train themselves up. The others just leave early and moan about the pay.

Excepting international schools I don't know why anyone would expect to make the same wages for teaching as their home country, they are simply not qualified.

Wages need to come up, but so does the quality of teaching and poor work ethic.

And, schools need to rethink who they employ. I've watched the many 'English language teachers' employed at several school that my 3 Thai granddaughters have attended. A few have been impressive and many should never been allowed near a classroom; in terms of their knowledge of the subject, teaching methodology, classroom management, and in terms of how to present themselves and how to behave. 

A twist, at the school one granddaughter attended, a young American girl came out of the classroom (she was employed to teach both English and maths, and approached several farang fathers sitting outside waiting for their kids to finish for the day. 'Teacher' says 'tomorrow I have to teach long decision but I don't know how to do it, can someone please teach me'?

Several negative comments came quickly from the gathered fathers, several asking if she had any advanced knowledge of Maths or English or any qualifications or any training in terms of teaching methodology etc. Her answer to all points 'NO, I just need enough income to save to get to the next location on my gap year trip'.

Many fathers quickly complained and she was sacked. Then the administrator lined up several farang fathers and gave them a blast because they had caused a problem in that the school now needed to find another 'teacher'.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And, schools need to rethink who they employ. I've watched the many 'English language teachers' employed at several school that my 3 Thai granddaughters have attended. A few have been impressive and many should never been allowed near a classroom; in terms of their knowledge of the subject, teaching methodology, classroom management, and in terms of how to present themselves and how to behave. 

A twist, at the school one granddaughter attended, a young American girl came out of the classroom (she was employed to teach both English and maths, and approached several farang fathers sitting outside waiting for their kids to finish for the day. 'Teacher' says 'tomorrow I have to teach long decision but I don't know how to do it, can someone please teach me'?

Several negative comments came quickly from the gathered fathers, several asking if she had any advanced knowledge of Maths or English or any qualifications or any training in terms of teaching methodology etc. Her answer to all points 'NO, I just need enough income to save to get to the next location on my gap year trip'.

Many fathers quickly complained and she was sacked. Then the administrator lined up several farang fathers and gave them a blast because they had caused a problem in that the school now needed to find another 'teacher'.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel. The Thais should look to the EPIK programme in Korea but they won’t because they think ‘Thailand number one’. When then reality is that the average 10 year old Korean child has more intellect than a 20 something Thai high school dropout. Certainly better English anyhow.

Edited by teacherbrendan
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 6:56 PM, alzack said:

Over 20 years this has been going on Farang teachers more and more every year, yet still Thais cannot speak English. The problem is obvious, they never use English, Conversational English is not taught, just books and reading, what a waist of time its all been

"You want boom boom I have short time room at back.."

Seems to be the English level around soi Buchao...

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2020 at 7:38 PM, CNXexpat said:

Years ago I have been with my wife at a party in Amnat Charoen (deepest Isaan, 80 km from Ubon). A guy talked to me. After 10 minutes I realized that he spoke English with me. At the end of the evening my wife told me that he is the English teacher of the local school...

your English isn't so good then?no reply needed. I read your post....

On 2/16/2020 at 1:04 PM, FinChin67 said:

I need to say, even as non-native speaker of English, that Malaysia is heaven compared to China, Hong Kong or Thailand.. Thailand rates worst of these three. Impossible to do business with Thais. I have tried few times to purchase items for my projects but trying to communicate them - if they even reply phone or email, is a joke. Might depend on industry but in "old fashion kind" like I'm in it really is pain in the rear. I stopped few years ago my efforts.

You should always hire a really smart person (has brain that functions) who answers the phone - who speaks fluent English. That is the first impression you get from the company. If there is someone dumb you know how it is run... At least in Asian countries.

I doubt that teaching Thai's English changes anything much..

THAIS lose out on a lot of business cause they dont speak engish . alot of us have given up and just go elsewhere

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I realize there are a great many bored, old codgers out there but the idea of hiring individuals +60 with no classroom experience is going to be a waste of time. Further, only so many hours a day so while they have you dicking around in the class wasting time they could be learning something. Finally, pay was mentioned. Personally, as an administrator I wouldn't pay more than b100 an hour. Does 200b a day sound appealing? That's four hours if you prep for class.

If these persons are serious about making a salary, they should at 65 go get a TEFL and try their luck in the marketplace. But really no one wants a low energy 65 year old retiree. Double especially if not in peak of health. It's not happened because it's a bad idea. Schools don't need a bunch of old grandpa running around griping about this and that.

I have a 4 yr degree  am 61, and have thought of getting a cert to teach esl. But I agree with you 100 pct. Im retired. I wouldn't mind tutoring, or working a part time after school program. But a full time gig? Or even too many part time hours? Or all the office politics, dress code etc......no....definately too old to play... at least that's my view for me.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, teacherbrendan said:

Let’s get real here no Thai kid is coming out of a 50 minute English lesson with a scouse accent because his/her teacher was a Liverpudlian. Like you say it’s about correct pronunciation. Even those with the strongest UK regional accent and a basic level of education will be aware of how to pronounce a world properly.

Now we are getting ahead of ourselves here. Thailand is a country in which most of the population can’t even count to ten never mind getting their heads around regional English accents. This myth that Brits make bad English language teachers because of strong accents is spread by non-native speakers and unscrupulous agencies who want to drive down wages.

I can't see how any claim can be made that any countries teachers (trained and native English speaker) are better or worse then another. They all have the same basic training, or additional training, if teaching at a higher level , and degrees, if required.

It seems strange to me that they would prefer American English speakers, as they seem to be far more interested in things English then American here.

I also would expect to see far more students going to Australian Universities, and far more Australian teachers here. That seems to me the obvious place to try and pull teachers from because of proximity.

7 hours ago, Number 6 said:

If you give them some basic training, as I said, they could be employed. For most the money would be small but not the be all and end all. For students to have a foreigner to interact with would encourage more learning. It’s quite simple really.

There are enough quality and conscientious teachers here already but some in their late 6o's and wasted being at home and have far more dedication and application to the cause but the age discrimination which exists and aslo very good teachers
Many in their late 60's have more go in them and committment than some teachers in their 20's and such a waste.
Also many teachers do at most the bare minimum, if that much in some of the schools and afraid the Directors often at one school for more than a decade and have a very nice life and many have a very cushy life, too!!!

well trained young teachers who are good at English can earn much more money going into companies.

Many female students, if tall enough, upon graduation, got jobs at airlines for 80,000 baht per month rather than 15,000 baht per month in a Thai school.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:55 AM, spinner2020 said:

They'd be too expensive (fortunately!). Think Filipinos instead. "Native" speakers.

Ha ha ha employ fillipinos to teach English....so funny.

Honestly fillipinos might speak some English they have learnt from American soaps....but believe me the spelling and the grammer is so bad...the thai kids be better off not learning English.

I can understand why they are now wanting to employ native speakers....ie UK and Aussies...because the teaching in most of the schools is so bad...because fillipinos are cheap to employ.

What they should do is kick out all the fillpino teachers (they have no proper qualifications) send them back to Manila or wherever

19 hours ago, teacherbrendan said:

Have you seen the slop they serve the kids for food? Mangy fish soup or diseased chicken carcass and rice. The school food budget goes into the back pocket of school governors. There is no depths to which a Thai won’t stoop for an extra few baht. Stealing food out of the kiddies mouths, depraved savages.

i'd like to hear more

On 2/18/2020 at 2:28 PM, john west said:

There are enough quality and conscientious teachers here already but some in their late 6o's and wasted being at home and have far more dedication and application to the cause but the age discrimination which exists and aslo very good teachers
Many in their late 60's have more go in them and committment than some teachers in their 20's and such a waste.
Also many teachers do at most the bare minimum, if that much in some of the schools and afraid the Directors often at one school for more than a decade and have a very nice life and many have a very cushy life, too!!!

The sad part is that "directors" when though the same type of "advanced education."

It's not about how knowledgeable this director is, they have to buy their position for a hell lot of money. 

Anybody who's selling stuff, be it food outside of the school, or anything else, the directors always get their cut.

And that's frikking sad. 

But at the end of the day, they want to make more money. A conflict of interest, methinks. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 6:43 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Sure they're any that wanna come?

News said 7000 already here so a boost of 3000.  So £1.5 added to the fund means the excess funding of £500 per teacher.  So is that per day per month per year?  Not sure it's the increase in English teachers that's needed or more likely math teachers? TIT

7 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

i'd like to hear more

I don't believe you are allowed to include a BKK Post link here. You can google it. It happens all over the country but every now and then some of the charlatans get caught. There was case in Surat Thani where the kids were served Chinese noodles and fish sauce everyday whilst the school director boozed away the allocated funds. What was his punishment? Sacked, a jail term etc? Nope. He was moved to an 'inactive post'. You have to remember that Thais don't get sacked as it's a loss of face they merely get moved to inactive posts. Thailand actually allocates quite a substantial amount of money to its schools but most of it is pocketed by corrupt directors and principals. Like I previously said there is absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing, a Thai won't do for an extra few baht, even if that means feeding kids slop to the point they are almost malnourished.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1