Thailand to recruit 10,000 foreign teachers to boost English standards of Thai kids

rooster59

17 hours ago, Denim said:

By lowering the bar.

There is a big pool of untapped chavs cluttering up the UK who will jump at this......innit.

I know an English teacher from Australia. When I asked him what did you do in Australia before being teacher in Thailand, he told me ha was working in construction field.

They will need a lot more BMW "Genius cars" to check on so many farangs wandering around... Great boost for economy.

How about just teaching Chinese because thats from where the money is rolling in? Can start from "wu mao" ..

There are many english speaking farangs who would be willing to assist in schools in their neighbourhood but they are not recruited.   This is partly because schools cannot afford to pay them or have no one to be able to assist them in the classroom.

The attitude of some, but not all Thais who teach english is that they do not want a native speaker to raise the standards for "village kids". Lets hope this new initiative will get off the ground. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

Truly one of the more risible examples of virtue signaling I've seen on this forum.

1. Farang does not mean foreigner.

2. It is actually a Persian word that has been used for centuries in many different countries, cultures, and languages. It qualifies as an adopted word in the English language, with over a century of both common and print usage.

3. Practically everyone using this forum knows exactly what it means, no politically correct replacement comes anywhere close.

It depresses me that people increasingly feel it is acceptable to attack others to demonstrate their own virtue, and that they do so with so little hesitation and so little self-consciousness about how little they themselves know.

That's so funny as to be embarrassing, have you considered taking a Thai course from somebody who knows the language.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

My eldest daughter in England is a part time stand in teacher , she is going to university as well to become a full time teacher later this year.  I said ( as she like it here ) she could teach here. But with only knowing about 6 words of Thai now could she get by teaching  here without speaking Thai ? So my point is how many English teachers are fluent in Thai ?

How many English teachers are fluent in English?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Very true and I suspect all those schools are in the private sector. It is the Government schools where the overwhelming majority of kids are educated which is the point under discussion here though. The pay gap between private and government is astronomical. 100K+ for a good private school, 30 if you are lucky in Government and who that is any good is going to work in a poor environment on less than subsistence wages? Monkeys only, which is who they have largely been employing to date, and will continue to do so, and the reason why kids for average schools can't string two sentences together after years of learning. Hell, most of the teachers can't either.

And one might say Sickos and Pedophiles can work in a good environment and later prey on the peaceful loving kids which is very disgusting. 

• Like 1

I need to say, even as non-native speaker of English, that Malaysia is heaven compared to China, Hong Kong or Thailand.. Thailand rates worst of these three. Impossible to do business with Thais. I have tried few times to purchase items for my projects but trying to communicate them - if they even reply phone or email, is a joke. Might depend on industry but in "old fashion kind" like I'm in it really is pain in the rear. I stopped few years ago my efforts.

You should always hire a really smart person (has brain that functions) who answers the phone - who speaks fluent English. That is the first impression you get from the company. If there is someone dumb you know how it is run... At least in Asian countries.

I doubt that teaching Thai's English changes anything much..

• Haha 1