Thailand to recruit 10,000 foreign teachers to boost English standards of Thai kids

rooster59

20 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

What's needed are students with more incentive to learn, and don't give-up when the going gets tough.  Getting-rid of the "Every student will pass" <deleted> might help.

There's no quick fix, unfortunatly, without a completely new education system phased-in over the next 50 years.

TiT.....

Yes..that's about the nub of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sahibji said:

ehs818  are you serious? do you think americans, canadians and australians speak good english? i seriously doubt so.

Curious as why? Majority speak English. Or are we comparing 

American vs British English which is comparably the same...

Except a bonnet goes on your head...

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Why would an English teacher need to be fluent in Thai ?

To be able to answer questions from their students, and to be able to explain the meaning of English words in a language the students can understand perhaps?

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Borzandy said:

I know an English teacher from Australia. When I asked him what did you do in Australia before being teacher in Thailand, he told me ha was working in construction field.

Many qualified adult educators across a broad range of industries in Australia. Train the trainer courses are very popular.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Pray tell me who actually speaks good English. Please don't say the English.

Ever spoken to a Yorkshire man, a Scouser, a Geordie or any one from Cornwall?

I don't know about other Australians (you're right most Australians speak and spell atrociously), as for me I was most fortunate to be well educated being raised in a home in which the Oxford dictionary was on the bookshelf and taken down almost every day. So as far as I am concerned yes I do speak well and possess a solid command of grammar, comprehension, and pronunciation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, TheDark said:

64.000.000 baht / 3.000 new teacher = 21300 baht / new teacher. I guess that 64 million is price of the project / hiring cost. 

Just about pay for the visa costs and work permits etc.

No mention of the salary on offer?

12 minutes ago, tonray said:

Maybe it's time to call my old school..the one that told me if I wanted to continue to work there I had to now come thru their new agency contract, and the agency told me forget your health insurance cause we're dropping that, and oh yeah..your basic salary will be lower for the school and the same job you've done for two years now but you'll have a chance to earn back the difference by doing English camps between terms. Ha ha ha.. Same old story nothing will change..10,000 more teachers just means 10,000 more opportunities to fleece the budget

For the sake of the students, please don't.

11 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

But lets make sure that the retirees from English speaking countries already living in Thailand have a restriction on their visa that does not allow them to work. 

I think that is pretty well a given already. Same as a tourist visa...no work permitted.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This subject comes round and round and never gets anywhere because they are not prepared to pay the money required to get decent staff. They always cheap out and employ those for whom English is often a second or third language. The other issue of course is one of face and paying a farang more than Thai teachers who in their minds are superior causes a problem. Those looking for teaching work need not get excited. This will go no further than the countless identical promises made over the years and the kids in ten years still won't be able to speak English to anything close to an acceptable standard.

What are you even talking about paying them more?

An English teacher here has almost no work to do AND gets about 2x higher salary than a Thai teacher which works way harder compared to a foreigner. Not in all cases but I do know enough teachers who have 0 time for anything else. 

That said, maybe all of the people who complain about the salary should take a look how much the Thai teachers make, and then look at their salary and then maybe, just maybe they start to realize that not all countries pay people like they do in the west. So maybe it'd be better just to stay in the west instead of going to a poorer country, moaning about a low salary. Because that's what happens if you work in a poorer country. 

The plan perhaps might work if also the Thai teachers will get a raise. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

It's probably best not to bother..

Anyway these threads come up about once a week (the usual period of occupancy of a Thai minister of Education) and we all know that nothing will change because it is not designed to change-"The more things change the more they stay the same." and on that basis the old Kipling quote "Here is the grave of the man who tried to hustle the East "seems most appropriate

It does frustrate a little. 

I'm happy living here.

Want to offer my life skills gratis, but basically need a work permit to do voluntary skills (including English language) training to less fortunate people. 

• Like 2

Many comments, some of which are laced with a poison called negativity. I prefer the tonic labeled, "Wait and See". Being retired, it will be viewed with interest and gratitude.

Edited by Benmart
Reword
  • Haha 1

Jokes apart guys. let me tell you all a story. Few years ago I met a bar girl. After a few drinks she told me that won't be working here for long.she just quickly want to earn 300000 baht to pay off family's debt and go back being a nurse. 

I suggested her to go to an Arab country as there is a huge demand plus good salary. Lot of filipinas work as nurses in Arab world. 

She told me that her English is poor and she won't get the job.she went further to say that how thai people are poor in English and cannot get a job abroad.

Now link it to the topic.if this girl had a farang English teacher back in school she won't be working in a bar and rather go to some arab country and work as a nurse.  A decent and respectable job.