OK, be gentle. I failed motorcycle driving test

newbieoldie

I was not aware of exactly what the course track was like or exactly the challenges one has to overcome.   The raised longitudinal speed bump that looks about 25' long was the final challenge.   Because I was just coming back from a break, I missed getting to watch anyone run the course and so the camelback beam test threw me off.  I made it within about 4-5 feet of passing but my tire slipped off and the second go around I was just flustered and was off within the first third of the beam.   So I stuck around after my failure (and of course was told to wait 3 days and come back to re-try) to see if anyone took the course on before I left.  One guy did and it appeared that his technique was to literally very lightly "wiggle" his front tire and maintain moderate to slow and constant speed.   I'm assuming the course will be open on Sunday so I can practice, but does anyone have any suggestion so I will have a plan when I go back?   Also, I searched but could not find what happens if you fail a second time?   Anyone know?    Thanks!   I'm new to CM just moved here 2 weeks ago.   ????

• Haha 1

I don't remember any camelback beam but mine was in Bangkok.

I failed the first time as she said I didn't signal for a right-hand turn which I did but cancelled it as soon as I turned but she wasn't looking

So you must exaggerate everything.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, newbieoldie said:

Thanks all.    But just curious .....this of course is a matter of letting something "get into your head".  How many times will they allow you to return to re-try?   

Thanks again

I suspect until you succeed?

Edited by VocalNeal

This happened to a couple of people in Chumphon.   There was a part of the test where you have to drive scooter slowly in a straight line without either foot touching the ground.  Maybe 50-100 meters.   So some people failed that part and had to retest.   But they eventually passed.

I failed a car test here 12 years ago on a vision section but forgot to take my reading glasses the guy met me out of the crowded public test room and asked me if i had 1000 bht on me, hey presto !  to this day i still have one  ???? but alas no car as my ex who borrowed it one time then told me it got stolen ... OH YEH! ????

Edited by Liverpudlian
addition
  • Haha 1

Go find yourself a straight white line, or similar on a quiet road and practice keeping a straight course along it. Riding in a straight line is actually intuitive once you've ridden for a while, so don't think about it too much Keep your feet on the pegs (or board) and don't look down too much.

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Drop your feet closer to the ground.

The lower the center of gravity the more stable you are. 

Nonsense! Feet on pegs helps to keep the body stable, which means the bike is also more stable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I had exactly the same problem. I did a lot of training afterwards but failed again the second time. But my girlfriend was standing next to the lady that watched me and asked her some questions when I got to this challenge. The distracted lady didn't look at me at this moment and so I passed.... 

They were hoping for a back hander my dear fellow !

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The following is provided for information purposes of discussion and interest and is not recommended nor condoned.

Case1:

Never taken a test, stopped twice in 15 yrs and paid 200 baht fine on each occasion for no licence. Succesfully claimed on insurance with no licence as was never asked about it.

Case2:

Never had a Thai licence,  always produced a UK car licence and never questioned just waived on. Also made a claim with no issues.

Case3: 

Never attended, paid 1000 baht collected both car and bike licence the next day.

Once again, inconsistencies and variations in province and places. The wonder of Thailand, like the preverbial box of chocolates, you never know what ya gonna get !

I have a UK & ozzie driving licence both long out of date and they worked too ! 

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Go find yourself a straight white line, or similar on a quiet road and practice keeping a straight course along it. Riding in a straight line is actually intuitive once you've ridden for a while, so don't think about it too much Keep your feet on the pegs (or board) and don't look down too much.

I did exactly this for days and failed again. I will fail until the end of my days because I am too nervous now. I had luck that the lady didn't look the second time. No idea if they will show mercy after a while. 

16 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Nonsense! Feet on pegs helps to keep the body stable, which means the bike is also more stable.

In the UK you are considered to be out of control of the bike if you take your feet of the pegs as you don't have the rear brake covered (were going back a few years) my advice would be to use your knees as balance, in and out :goof:

• Like 1

Don't worry, I failed my first attempt as well (@ Bang Chak). I had no bike of my own at the time and rented one of the motorcycles from DLT. It had some serious issues with the steering column, it basically did not turn. Did my best balancing, counter-steering and what not, but I failed on the slalom.

Got a proper bike next time and passed without issues.

• Like 1

I have never owned a bike so not very good on them. While taking the car test thought while I'm here will go for the bike test also. When it came for the plank test I was sure I was going to fail so I just kept my eye on the front wheel on the plank and went fast, was going too fast to slip off the plank, couple of seconds and it was over, and I passed.

Embarrassingly, though I'd been driving all kinds of vehicle since my teens I fail the car test :sad:

While parallel parking I failed to see one of the markers and got it wrong. 

No problem sailed through the next day.

:thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

I have never owned a bike so not very good on them. While taking the car test thought while I'm here will go for the bike test also. When it came for the plank test I was sure I was going to fail so I just kept my eye on the front wheel on the plank and went fast, was going too fast to slip off the plank, couple of seconds and it was over, and I passed.

Embarrassingly, though I'd been driving all kinds of vehicle since my teens I fail the car test :sad:

No problem sailed through the next day.

:thumbsup:

I showed them my European international drivers license for the car and only had to do the theoretical test. 

Edited by Beggar

5 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

OT a bit as this is about cars but one should adjust the left hand mirror so it points down and one can see perfectly the yellow line and the curb. Easy to get the distance correct.

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

OT a bit as this is about cars but one should adjust the left hand mirror so it points down and one can see perfectly the yellow line and the curb. Easy to get the distance correct.

Yea! I did that but missed one of the markers at the back that I ran into.

They had a whole lot of blue poles sticking up marking out various obstacles and I latched onto the wrong one and went back too far. 

41 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The following is provided for information purposes of discussion and interest and is not recommended nor condoned.

Case1:

Never taken a test, stopped twice in 15 yrs and paid 200 baht fine on each occasion for no licence. Succesfully claimed on insurance with no licence as was never asked about it.

Case2:

Never had a Thai licence,  always produced a UK car licence and never questioned just waived on. Also made a claim with no issues.

Case3: 

Never attended for tests, paid 1000 baht collected both car and bike licence the next day.

Once again, inconsistencies and variations in province and places. The wonder of Thailand, like the preverbial box of chocolates, you never know what ya gonna get !

All of you guys (and gals) are way too late.

I have Thai lifetime driving licenses for both car and bike.

• Like 1