OK, be gentle. I failed motorcycle driving test

newbieoldie

3 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Yea! I did that but missed one of the markers at the back that I ran into.

They had a whole lot of blue poles sticking up marking out various obstacles and I latched onto the wrong one and went back too far. 

The purpose of that bit of the test is to make sure Mrs. Somchai does not scratch the HiSo Mercedes's when she parks. :whistling:

Edited by VocalNeal

13 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

OT a bit as this is about cars but one should adjust the left hand mirror so it points down and one can see perfectly the yellow line and the curb. Easy to get the distance correct.

Parking on a yellow line? Naughty, naughty!

But I agree with the mirror trick. Electrically adjustable mirrors are great. I'd never have car without them.

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

But I agree with the mirror trick. Electrically adjustable mirrors are great. I'd never have car without them.

Automatically adjusts when reverse is engaged on some cars. ???? 

If you can't pass a ridiculous thai driving test you'd better walk or take a motorbike taxi.

Who cannot stay on the line at low speed with his bike is a danger to himself and others. I see tumbling farang on their Honda Waves daily and ask myself how they survive the day.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

The following is provided for information purposes of discussion and interest and is not recommended nor condoned.

Case1:

Never taken a test, stopped twice in 15 yrs and paid 200 baht fine on each occasion for no licence. Succesfully claimed on insurance with no licence as was never asked about it.

Case2:

Never had a Thai licence,  always produced a UK car licence and never questioned just waived on. Also made a claim with no issues.

Case3: 

Never attended for tests, paid 1000 baht collected both car and bike licence the next day.

Once again, inconsistencies and variations in province and places. The wonder of Thailand, like the preverbial box of chocolates, you never know what ya gonna get !

Right then'

My situation been here 21 years got valid UK driving licence but photo  expired

No Thai DL

a few years ago i was going to cross the palms of the instructor to buy one but i was called away on contract came back forgot all about it

I feel i now need to get one and would prefer to USE CASE 3 above as the model

Advice please

Edited by poohy

13 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I don't remember any camelback beam but mine was in Bangkok.

I failed the first time as she said I didn't signal for a right-hand turn which I did but cancelled it as soon as I turned but she wasn't looking

So you must exaggerate everything.

So the OP must thrash around on the ground like a felled EPL ballet dancer if he comes off the 'balanced beam' next time?

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, CGW said:

Improvise! ???? 

Yes I guess someone with extra long arms, could sit far back on the seat and then use his knees on the front part of the seat.  555

Edit: keeping his feets on the passenger rests should also make the trick.  :tongue:

Edited by Vacuum

There is some good advice here.

Just get find a white line or joint in a concrete road and just keep ploughing back and forth until it’s second nature, there is no need to do this slow, just look to the end of the beam and go for it, when you slow down you will lose balance.

The trick with the back brake is good if you can do it.

Also, exaggerate everything, I nearly failed because I didn’t put my foot down and count to 5 before making the turn.

32 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Yes I guess someone with extra long arms, could sit far back on the seat and then use his knees on the front part of the seat.  555

You fail to understand what I am suggesting, 555

Knee out, aid balance?

images.jpg

As others have mentioned, drag the back break and look where you want to go.

A Wave/Supercub/Fin small motorcycle is easier than using a scooter as you can use your foot to apply rear break, then give it some revs.

I did my Advanced years ago in UK and the instructor showed me how dragging the rear break helped with bike stability, then just look where you want to go.

After years of commuting in Bangkok I'm now a Zen Master at slow riding.  ????

29 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I did my Advanced years ago in UK and the instructor showed me how dragging the rear break helped with bike stability, then just look where you want to go

Brings back a few memories, well over forty years since I did my advanced, foot on the rear brake keeps the front end planted if I recall!

Some of the top "GP" riders use a thumb operated rear brake, that would be interesting to learn in my advanced years! :shock1:

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 12:41 PM, papa al said:

Look past the beam.

Don't go slow.

That's just it, can't go fast. Has to be a crawl. Don't look down as you said, look to the end of beam and keeping legs tucked in also helps.

Edited by EVENKEEL

I failed that test on the first two attempts as well. I went back home and set up a course on a large flat cement area, marking the area off with some leftover bricks. I then practiced and practiced and practiced. When I went back for the test three days later, I failed on the first attempt. I went again for a second and final try. I gave the bike a bit more throttle and passed. The crowd and attendants all gave me a robust ovation,

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 1:12 PM, Daffy D said:

I have never owned a bike so not very good on them. While taking the car test thought while I'm here will go for the bike test also. When it came for the plank test I was sure I was going to fail so I just kept my eye on the front wheel on the plank and went fast, was going too fast to slip off the plank, couple of seconds and it was over, and I passed.

Embarrassingly, though I'd been driving all kinds of vehicle since my teens I fail the car test :sad:

While parallel parking I failed to see one of the markers and got it wrong. 

No problem sailed through the next day.

:thumbsup:

To properly pass the plank test, you are supposed to stay on the plank, while moving from one end to the other, for 10 seconds. I failed repeatedly because I went too fast.

I imagine the test is for upcountry klong crossing skills.

My stepdaughter failed for car test in Amnat Charoen. Could return every three days for 90 days. After that would need to retest all from beginning. "Assume" same would apply for motorcycle. I did my motorcycle test on my HD 2002 Softail Heritage. DL test man said first he had seen test done on big bike. The test "balance beam" is 15 mtr long x 30 cm wide. I practiced on 20 mtr x 20 cm before taking test. The swerve test is cones spaced 5 mtr. I practiced set at 4 mtr. Tires on the Heritage are 130 front x 150 rear. So one bobble and ya off. I also pratxide staying on the sid white shoulder stripe at the motorcycle lane. Some are thich paint so raised a bit.

Wow, what a community forum.   And out of probably 40 replies only the HUN was took a swipe.....quite a good ratio for a forum.   I really appreciate all the comments.  To answer the suggestion that I am a risk to myself and all around me, I can easily travel in straight line when going between other vehicles, and can easily stay in one line when at full cruise.   This test is more about the perception of being forced to stay on a slightly raised "berm" and each one of us process this sort of thing slightly differently.   But to update I went last night to the course SE of town to practice.  The course was unlocked, but they were allowing employees to run the course for simple training.   So he would not allow me to use the raised berm to practice.  I did however pace it off.   20 paces of which in my case is right at 60 feet.   It is also apparently right at 12" wide.  It is only about an inch raised.   Just offering this to anyone who wondered, as I did.

I may try once more then go the agent route.  But allow me to add a bit to the forum.   If you go to this link    http://thaidriving.info/

this fellow has on the upper righthand corner of the first page a red link to view the actual text in three separate parts.   And let me tell you it is absolutely spot on.   I feel certain you could simply review his "questions" and ace the exam.   Thanks all for your gracious input

22 minutes ago, newbieoldie said:

Wow, what a community forum.   And out of probably 40 replies only the HUN was took a swipe.....quite a good ratio for a forum.   I really appreciate all the comments.  To answer the suggestion that I am a risk to myself and all around me, I can easily travel in straight line when going between other vehicles, and can easily stay in one line when at full cruise.   This test is more about the perception of being forced to stay on a slightly raised "berm" and each one of us process this sort of thing slightly differently.   But to update I went last night to the course SE of town to practice.  The course was unlocked, but they were allowing employees to run the course for simple training.   So he would not allow me to use the raised berm to practice.  I did however pace it off.   20 paces of which in my case is right at 60 feet.   It is also apparently right at 12" wide.  It is only about an inch raised.   Just offering this to anyone who wondered, as I did.

I may try once more then go the agent route.  But allow me to add a bit to the forum.   If you go to this link    http://thaidriving.info/

this fellow has on the upper righthand corner of the first page a red link to view the actual text in three separate parts.   And let me tell you it is absolutely spot on.   I feel certain you could simply review his "questions" and ace the exam.   Thanks all for your gracious input

I took the theory tests for both motorcycle (about 9 years ago) and car (September 2019) in Thai language because some of the answers to the English language test are known to be wrong. Passed both. As to practical, I slipped of the beam on the motorcycle test the first time round, but they let me do a second run, which I handled okay. Took the course at AP Honda, followed by the tests and then took the paperwork to the Land Transport Department on Sukhumvit and picked up the license. For car, I took the tests at a driving school, then took the paperwork to the same LTD.  

2 hours ago, Centrum said:

I imagine the test is for upcountry klong crossing skills

no, it is actually so see if you can control a bike at slow speed. Before I bought my big bike (Honda 1300cc) I asked the shop owner who is a real big bike professional rider about the move from small bike to big ones. His reply was: If you can control a bike on a very slow ride - you can control it in any situation

On 2/16/2020 at 3:41 AM, papa al said:

Look past the beam.

Don't go slow.

When I tested there was a time that needed to be exceeded. I needed to go very slow as the tester used a stopwatch. I was told to redo it three times before I did it slow enough. Never fell off but had to go extremely slowly.