Is a 6 month multi entry tourist visa going to work for me?

This is my history:

I last had an O Visa based on retirement on a UK passport gained from Bangkok immigration. I went back to the UK without getting a re-entry permit and entered back into Thailand on a Visa exempt successfully and then left to go to Vietnam for 7 days and tried to re enter back into Thailand with another visa exempt. After being pulled out of the line and interviewed by an immigration officer I was finally allowed to enter on a 30 day exempt visa, but was told that I need an appropriate visa next time if I was to be allowed entry. 

I am currently in the UK and only want to return to Thailand for a period of 6-8 months and it seems sensible to use a 6 month multi entry tourist visa to do this. I have read on the forums that there are a number of arbitrary decisions that are made on tourist visas where some people are sent back on a flight out of Thailand when attempting to enter because of different combinations of tourist visa and visa exemptions used over a period of time.

Since there are no clearly defined rules or what time intervals a rule covers  - What are my chances of being rejected when I come back with a multi entry tourist visa after being out of Thailand for the last 3 months?

You are correct that the rules are unclear but from my conversations with Immigration officers at the point of entry, the people like you.  I'm not being rude or passing judgment by saying that but it appears that you are in effect, trying to live in Thailand without the correct visa.

I enter regularly but I only stay for 2 weeks at a time, I've never been refused but I have been questioned about the number of entries I make.  On 2 or 3 occasions I've talked to I.O.s when I'm leaving and asked about the likelihood of me getting back in, in 8 weeks or so.  Each time, they've looked at my passport and said I'm fine, because I only stay 2 weeks or so and that the people they are looking for is people who stay for extended periods/do border runs/get extensions etc. on a regular basis. Over the last 2 years, most of those entries have been made using a 6 month METV.

I can't give you chapter and verse because it doesn't exist - if the officer doesn't think you fit the description of a tourist, you may have a problem. Conversely you may walk straight through - many do. The fact that you've been out of Thailand for 3 months may help a bit but its not really a long time - balanced against how long you were in the country previously.

All I would suggest is:

a). Don't choose a queue where the officer is female

b). When you fill in your arrival card - don't say that you plan on staying more than a month - you're not tied to that.

c). Have a valid ticket out (matching with what you state in b) - even just a cheap throwaway.

Edited by KhaoYai

22 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You are correct that the rules are unclear but from my conversations with Immigration officers at the point of entry, the people like you.  I'm not being rude or passing judgment by saying that but it appears that you are in effect, trying to live in Thailand without the correct visa.

I enter regularly but I only stay for 2 weeks at a time, I've never been refused but I have been questioned about the number of entries I make.  On 2 or 3 occasions I've talked to I.O.s when I'm leaving and asked about the likelihood of me getting back in, in 8 weeks or so.  Each time, they've looked at my passport and said I'm fine, because I only stay 2 weeks or so and that the people they are looking for is people who stay for extended periods/do border runs/get extensions etc. on a regular basis. Over the last 2 years, most of those entries have been made using a 6 month METV.

I can't give you chapter and verse because it doesn't exist - if the officer doesn't think you fit the description of a tourist, you may have a problem. Conversely you may walk straight through - many do. The fact that you've been out of Thailand for 3 months may help a bit but its not really a long time - balanced against how long you were in the country previously.

All I would suggest is:

a). Don't choose a queue where the officer is female

b). When you fill in your arrival card - don't say that you plan on staying more than a month - you're not tied to that.

c). Have a valid ticket out (matching with what you state in b) - even just a cheap throwaway.

Yup good points - She did make a big thing about staying 22 days on the 30 day first exempt and then identifying that I would be staying for 20 days on the next and she thought this was a long time. I got the message then that if I was staying just a few days I would not have had the same issues. Its just a pity that its all so arbitrary and unclear. I have been in Thailand for ten years on mostly O visa extensions, but then this is not seen. Its all about just the 42 days without a visa even though you might have strong history of long stay visas up until that point that show that you are usually a good bet for the extra few days on the visa exempt and especially since they have been the only ones over a ten year period.  

When you enter with a visa, the immigration official (in theory) has less power to deny you entry. Indeed, at some airports, they seem always to honour visas unless there is an official reason under Section 12 of the Immigration Act to deny entry. That does not apply to either Bangkok airport. If possible, avoid entering there (and also Phuket and Krabi) even when in possession of a visa issued by a consulate.

Although subject to change without notice, at the current time, you are fine entering at most land crossings when in possession of a valid visa. If you successfully negotiate your initial return from the UK, try to ensure any further entries during your intended 6-8 month stay are done by land.

Thanks BritTim - Actually these are good points. One of the things that could be done if actually  flying into Bangkok airport is to begin the flight from a local neighbouring country and if fail entry and need to return to where you came from then you could simply do the land crossing when you get back there. 

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You are correct that the rules are unclear but from my conversations with Immigration officers at the point of entry, the people like you. 

Sorry, did some editing and screwed it up - that should say 'they are looking for people like you'