800k in bank new requirements from 01.March on?

Hi,

according to another topic, the requirements for extensions based on the 800k method might change. 

I'll have to do my extension within the first two weeks in March. My questions:

1. Is it true that you need a bank statement a whole year back to prove the 800k 2/3 month before/after and the 400k for the rest of the year? A frequently updated bank book over the period would not be enough?

2. Is it true that you can't get this 1-year-paper on the fly but have to wait a week or two until it will be provided?

I don't want to waste my time going to immigration just to be sent back cause of incomplete paperwork.

Any reliable information out there (yes, I know there's never something you can rely on if it comes to immigration).

Have a nice day

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Are you confusing income method up with money in bank method.

My understanding is that income requires bank statements where as money in bank will just require bank letter along with photocopies of your bankbook pages from date you obtained last extension. 

Thanks for your feedback.

I thought that too but was confused a bit by this post:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There are no new requirements. 

There may a change in the proof that you maintained the required to prove that you maintained the required 400k/800k baht balance for the past year.

Apparently some offices are already requiring a one year bank statement instead along with the bank book. Not everybody updates their bank book regularly.

So they might want to see a one-year statement even if you have a regulary updated bank book for the whole year, I guess.

But more important to me is, if one-year statement is required, you can't get it on the flight at your BKK-Bank branch?

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

But more important to me is, if one-year statement is required, you can't get it on the flight at your BKK-Bank branch?

You can request the 12 months bank statement at any Bangkok Bank branch but it will take about 7 days to get it for a fee of 200 baht.

• Thanks 2

I do not think you can update a fix deposit account because no money transactions are made and if you put the book through the machine it comes back the same as before. I have to make a small withdrawal when I get it updated for my yearly extension

20 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Edit: as for the taking time to get a longer statement I am not sure why some banks balk at producing a longer statement although it may be to do with the amount of entries. I ringfence the 800k in a seperate account so its very easy for them to run off an annual statement for me if I need it.

The local computers in the branches have a 6 month cutoff date for detailed information so they cannot just print off a statement covering a longer period it must come from HQ or the main Data centre.

13 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

So I'll order a one-year statement to be on the safe side. It's just a visit more to my bank.

Could be quite funny if the statement needs a week to be provided and the IO tells you then, it may not be older than two days or so...

The statement takes about a week to prepare but it is dated the day it is issued not the date you ask for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, offset said:

I do not think you can update a fix deposit account because no money transactions are made and if you put the book through the machine it comes back the same as before. I have to make a small withdrawal when I get it updated for my yearly extension

It depends how your interest is paid, if paid monthly then the book can be updated to show interest received and tax paid.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

So they might want to see a one-year statement even if you have a regulary updated bank book for the whole year, I guess.

Why don't you tell what immigration office you belong to? 

The bank branches normally don't issue a 12 months bank statement,only a 6 months statement. It can take up to 7 days to get it. That's why you're not supposed to do the extension to late. So depending on where your staying it can take 1 hour (at BKK Banks head office on Silom Rd, and up to a week at a branch elsewhere.

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can request the 12 months bank statement at any Bangkok Bank branch but it will take about 7 days to get it for a fee of 200 baht.

For those with online banking (I use KBank), could we just print out our own statements instantly and save time and the cost? The statements look authentic enough, wonder if they are acceptable along with signed bank letter?

21 minutes ago, offset said:

If you have a Fixed Deposit Account at for example Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank, you can update the bank book in the update machines. There will be a new line written showing the balance and the current date.

I don't know how it works at other banks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

For those with online banking (I use KBank), could we just print out our own statements instantly and save time and the cost? The statements look authnoentic enough, wonder if they are acceptable along with signed bank letter?

No, it's not accepted at immigration.

You need to get it at the bank along with the bank letter. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

So I'll order a one-year statement to be on the safe side. It's just a visit more to my bank.

Could be quite funny if the statement needs a week to be provided and the IO tells you then, it may not be older than two days or so...

You could get another statement to cover the time from when the one year statement is dated to the day you get the bank letter. They can do a 6 month statement locally.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

This day and age waiting 7 days for bank statements is so 20th century. 

Similar to the concept of passbooks, they have access to the technology for "smart cars" one would assume that the banks need to join the 21st century, then align with immigarion  databases

• Like 1

I wonder where they store all these copies. It must be a truck full every single day here in Jomtien.

To enjoy them a bit more in collecting paper, this time I'll flood Jomtien office with copies of every single page of my PP and my bankbook. 

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I wonder where they store all these copies. It must be a truck full every single day here in Jomtien.

To enjoy them a bit more in collecting paper, this time I'll flood Jomtien office with copies of every single page of my PP and my bankbook. 

What do you think about the amount of papers piling up at the immigration offices in BKK ? There's a lot of people visiting Jomtien immigration during high season. Between seasons it's quite calm. I'm lucky doing my extensions in May. It's almost empty after lunch. 

43 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Similar to the concept of passbooks, they have access to the technology for "smart cars" one would assume that the banks need to join the 21st century, then align with immigarion  databases

I don't think they created the use for bank statements and bank books for foreigners. We wouldn't need any bank statements if it wasn't for immigration. I don't think many thai asks for a bank statement. They probably don't know what it is,and a thai doesn't need to keep the bank book updated the way we do. They can do it when they feel like it. That way a bank book last a lot longer. 

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I know, but sadly I can't change my extension time to low season. March never was a good time for me over the last years. Lucky you.

March is better than February, and if you try on a Thursday after lunch, 1pm, I promise you it will be much less people waiting for desk 8. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

For those with online banking (I use KBank), could we just print out our own statements instantly and save time and the cost? The statements look authentic enough, wonder if they are acceptable along with signed bank letter?

I am with Krung Thai Bank and with online banking I can print off statement going back for a maximum 6 months, not much use if I am asked for a year.

There is another option to print month by month, again going back only 6 months so I print out each month on the 1st of a new month and save them as PDF. No idea if they will be acceptable, or even asked for. I can't see why a copy of the entire marked up book would not suffice. Hey ho!

1 minute ago, Saltire said:

I can't see why a copy of the entire marked up book would not suffice. Hey ho!

I'm quite sure they would not accept it. The bank letter is an official and signed document, your copies arent. Anyone can edit a pdf.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I am with Krung Thai Bank and with online banking I can print off statement going back for a maximum 6 months, not much use if I am asked for a year.

There is another option to print month by month, again going back only 6 months so I print out each month on the 1st of a new month and save them as PDF. No idea if they will be acceptable, or even asked for. I can't see why a copy of the entire marked up book would not suffice. Hey ho!

It won't be accepted by immigration. It must be obtained in a bank,stamped and signed. If your bank book isn't updated every month you won't see every transaction. But the bank statement shows everything. 

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

This is Thailand... Give it another 10 years... MAYBE!  :glare: