800k in bank new requirements from 01.March on?

43 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

That is exactly what they do when I provide them excess paperwork to them as a precaution. I have never been scolded for it though. 

It is true for maybe the most Immigration offices. My one in Rayong/Map Thaput is relaxed and last time I was finished within 10 min on a Thursday 2pm.

My friend live in the south around Nakhom Si Thammarat and he have over the last 10 years always the same guy except one time. My friend has to bring a lot off other copies from this and that. He always give the some required documents first and wait what is new this year. He have always all actual copies what this officer required the last years. Have to say that he don't put any paper with the picture of the king into it. 

The main problem in Thailand is that the law says some requirements, but have the addition that any officer (not only Immi) can decide to require more. This open the power door to the power for the Thai office and if you have one who don't like you then you are ass <deleted>.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

Whether you can update the bank book depends on the particular bank and type of account.  For example only, a fixed term account at Siam Commercial bank (an account that accrues interest for a set period of time although you can access the funds earlier with a loss of accrued interest) cannot be updated regardless if you or the bank sticks the bank book in the update machine.  That type of SCB account is what I've been using for the annual extension (800k method) for almost 10 years here in Chiangmai and never has the bank book been updated (as it can't be) or has an immigration officer questioned it. 

At Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank if having a Fixed Deposit Account, you can update the bank book in the update machines. There will be a new line written with the date and current balance. Can't get easier. You won't get your extension at most immigration offices without an updated bank book, no matter what type of account you have.

16 minutes ago, CMBob said:

As I noted as an example, the fixed term accounts at SCB that I have used for almost 10 years cannot be updated.  And there is no ability to deposit or withdraw (well, you can withdraw any or all anytime you want but you'll lose all accrued interest in the interim) and interest does not show up at all until the fixed term is completed.

I'd have agreed with your "can't be rolled over" comment many years ago as back then they'd issue you a new account number and passbook after the fixed term expired; however, that hasn't been the case for at least the last few years.  Now, I keep the same passbook and account number and what shows up in the passbook is the interest, the 15% tax withheld, and the new balance (with the new time period and interest rate). It appears as a simple roll-over to me.

My comments apply only to Siam Commercial Bank fixed accounts (e.g., it's different at some other banks).

So on the first part we are in agreement..good.

For the 2nd part I have just had to change to a new book/interest rate (at Bangkok Bank) for my next 12 month period...BUT my fixed deposits are in 2 names (either/or signatures with my wife), so this maybe the reason it can't be rolled over. I will look into that next time I go to the Bank.

Edited by couchpotato

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

That is exactly what they do when I provide them excess paperwork to them as a precaution. I have never been scolded for it though. 

I know what my office requires, and I only make copies of the stuff they want. Easier and quicker when inside the copy-shop and less signatures.

• Like 1

ok whats the best account to put money in for interest .? and also can update bank book in machine ? as i said mine is a FCD account .. Foreign Currency Deposit Account can not be updated  by machine . and only get interest 2 times a year .  june and dec .so no good for my extension unless i put more money in no more then 3 days before my extension application . but at least you don't lose money on exchange rates  always stays in bank in £ s 

I got my extension in late January (being due mid-Feb). It took two tries because, yes!, they wanted one full year's worth of transactions from my bank. And yes! I had to wait a full three working days to get the transactions, since it had to be done at "headquarters" (presumably Silom).

And believe me, that full years worth of transactions extended the time spent at immigration a lot since two "officials" went over it almost line by line.

To be honest, the whole procedure this year was a much larger pain in my fundament than in any year previous. I advise everyone to start their extension well ahead of the due date, because (at least in my experience) they're being more stupidly petty than before.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I know what my office requires, and I only make copies of the stuff they want. Easier and quicker when inside the copy-shop and less signatures.

That's the best solution of course. But assuming that you know what your office wants every time you go is unstable.

Only way to know for sure is to ask the appropriate questions and get a response from at least two agents, and that those two agents agree.

It's a <deleted> shoot at best. Nothing to do about it but roll with the punches.

As they say: It is what it is.

Good luck to all of us.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 9:34 AM, JustAnotherHun said:

So they might want to see a one-year statement even if you have a regulary updated bank book for the whole year, I guess.

But more important to me is, if one-year statement is required, you can't get it on the flight at your BKK-Bank branch?

Bangkok Bank will issue a 6 month statement at the counter of your branch for 100 baht, at least my branch does, so I get 2 6 month statements to take to IB.

Can anybody confirm that they have been asked for 12 months bank statements for a Fix Term Account. I asked this because you cannot withdraw money without the bank book, so the amount shown in the book will be a true account of how much is in the account for the year

I am doing the income method. Last year Nonthaburi said they wanted to see 13 monthly transfers. Knowing that Bangkok bank will take a week to supply the statement I decided to get a six month statement, another six months statement and then the last one on the day I go to Immigration to cover the remaining few weeks.

absolutely no point in asking why you want 13 months... Only reason I can suggest is that I do my extension a month early, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MayPutThai said:

Why do you don't printout every 1/3/6 month?

I have a regular reminder to take the book to an update machine, hoping that will suffice. 

Fall back is the bank producing one within 7 days. 

Edited by jacko45k

4 hours ago, couchpotato said:

So on the first part we are in agreement..good.

For the 2nd part I have just had to change to a new book/interest rate (at Bangkok Bank) for my next 12 month period...BUT my fixed deposits are in 2 names (either/or signatures with my wife), so this maybe the reason it can't be rolled over. I will look into that next time I go to the Bank.

Cool....but, as I noted twice, my comments only apply to Siam Commercial Bank fixed term accounts.  

3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Bangkok Bank will issue a 6 month statement at the counter of your branch for 100 baht, at least my branch does, so I get 2 6 month statements to take to IB.

That will be OK only if immigration will accept a statement that is 6 months old. 

I strongly suggest going in as early as possible so that if your plan is rejected (there is a good chance that it may be as most offices require bank paperwork to be dated the day of, or day before, you apply) you have enough time to order the 12/13 month statement.

You loose nothing by going in 20~30 days before your extension finishes.

On 2/16/2020 at 9:34 AM, JustAnotherHun said:

So they might want to see a one-year statement even if you have a regulary updated bank book for the whole year, I guess.

But more important to me is, if one-year statement is required, you can't get it on the flight at your BKK-Bank branch?

How about Siam Commercial Bank?  KrungThai?  Other banks?

Plenty of folks have stated that BKK Bank takes a 1 to 2 week wait to get a 1 year statement.  There stellar customer service (eye-roll) seems to be a function of their previous monopoly on ACH transfers and Social Security deposits, at least for US customers.  They could called the shots as they were the only game in town.  Not anymore. 

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You loose nothing by going in 20~30 days before your extension finishes.

Unless you're changing the reason for your extension as a lot of guys are changing back from a extensions based on retirement (which immigration officials were asking retirees who are married to Thais to do in the past few years) back to extensions based on married (because who wants to play games with their finances and lock up their local funds when we're supporting Thai families).  Then I believe your extension dates are reset.  But, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct.  :wink:

5 hours ago, connda said:

Unless you're changing the reason for your extension as a lot of guys are changing back from a extensions based on retirement (which immigration officials were asking retirees who are married to Thais to do in the past few years) back to extensions based on married (because who wants to play games with their finances and lock up their local funds when we're supporting Thai families).  Then I believe your extension dates are reset.  But, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct.  :wink:

This thread is about the retirement extension and funds for that and proof that will be or maybe required. So for that my suggestion stands. You loose nothing by going in 20~30 days before your extension finishes.

Changing from an extension based on retirement to a different reason is a red herring in the context of this thread.

If you want to add yet another thread about that feel free.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, connda said:

How about Siam Commercial Bank?  KrungThai?  Other banks?

Plenty of folks have stated that BKK Bank takes a 1 to 2 week wait to get a 1 year statement.  There stellar customer service (eye-roll) seems to be a function of their previous monopoly on ACH transfers and Social Security deposits, at least for US customers.  They could called the shots as they were the only game in town.  Not anymore. 

As far as I know there is no bank who can supply a 1 year statement from a branch.

There is a faint possibility that if you are able to visit the head office in Bangkok your waiting time could be shorter, I have no data for this.

Going to do my extension this Friday so I went into my Kbank branch this afternoon hoping to get one for Friday, I was told I can get a 13 month of statements today if I need them but she was not sure if Immigration would accept them 5 days early, so I will take a chance and go Friday and get the bank letter, update book and hopefully get the statements

I have till March 3 to do my extension

On 2/16/2020 at 10:25 AM, WorriedNoodle said:

For those with online banking (I use KBank), could we just print out our own statements instantly and save time and the cost? The statements look authentic enough, wonder if they are acceptable along with signed bank letter?

Same here with Krungsri.  Also if your retirement renewal is due in March and you can do it a month before, maybe the OI won't want to see a years statement. Mine was due in January '20 and as the change in money in the bank for the preceding year did't come in to effect util 1 March '19, the IO didn't want  years statement - only the 2 months prior.

Worth a try if you can do it before 1 march?

15 hours ago, offset said:

Going to do my extension this Friday so I went into my Kbank branch this afternoon hoping to get one for Friday, I was told I can get a 13 month of statements today if I need them but she was not sure if Immigration would accept them 5 days early, so I will take a chance and go Friday and get the bank letter, update book and hopefully get the statements

I have till March 3 to do my extension

That is probably good news. It maybe useful to know where the KBank is (the city at least). The bank was almost certainly correct that they would not be accepted that long before, some offices want them the day of application, some accept the day previous, but 5 days early is probably not OK.

41 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is probably good news. It maybe useful to know where the KBank is (the city at least). The bank was almost certainly correct that they would not be accepted that long before, some offices want them the day of application, some accept the day previous, but 5 days early is probably not OK.

Hua Hin but I will not say any more till I see them in my hand I also think I will wait till the day I do my extension

Can I ask a dumb question.

If I use money in bank method. Personally I have 1mill in FD account. So if I was attending imm for annual extension based on retirement tomorrow, what do I need show. I was thinking just bank letter and activity on day of application. 

There is new requirement?

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If I use money in bank method. Personally I have 1mill in FD account. So if I was attending imm for annual extension based on retirement tomorrow, what do I need show. I was thinking just bank letter and activity on day of application. 

When I got my 2nd one year extension at CW in October of last year I submitted 3 months of bank statements, the bank letter (2 days old), and my bank book updated that day. I use the 800,000 baht banked money method. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were asking for a year of bank statements now.

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Tomorrow, there should be no need to show anything other than 2 months seasoning of the money... but it may depend when your extension was issued last year*. The usual recent bank letter confirming it is your account and the balance on that day, and an 'updated' passbook + copies. Updated is important, my BB will print an update line the day I put the book in the machine, which is sufficient. Some banks their machines do not print unless there are transactions.... you may need to make a transaction for the book to confirm the balance that day. Exact requirements can vary office to office. 

* Retirement Extensions based on 800k on deposit issued after March 2019 also required money to be retained during the subsequent year, confirmation may well become a requirement. 

12 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

My experience recently with CM Immigration and Bangkok Bank:

1. Yes

2. Yes

That's what I expected.

In my case it could be more complicated because I did not show up with my bank book three month after application (I was abroad).

So, to avoid multiple visits and though I can provide a constantly updated bank book over the whole period, I'll order the 1-year-statement in my local branch two weeks before the trip to Immigration plus a 3-month-statement dated to the day of my visit.

Even the most moronic IO could see that there was far more than the required 800k at the account all year long.

Up to now I never had issues with my extension in Jomtien and I'm quite sure there  won't be any this year or in the near future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

That's what I expected.

In my case it could be more complicated because I did not show up with my bank book three month after application (I was abroad).

So, to avoid multiple visits and though I can provide a constantly updated bank book over the whole period, I'll order the 1-year-statement in my local branch two weeks before the trip to Immigration plus a 3-month-statement dated to the day of my visit.

Even the most moronic IO could see that there was far more than the required 800k at the account all year long.

Up to now I never had issues with my extension in Jomtien and I'm quite sure there  won't be any this year or in the near future.

The 1-year-statement will probably be sufficient if you can go into immigration the day you get it.

It should be dated that day but checking with the bank on the exact way that they are produced will probably answer that question. At the moment there have been no reports that I have seen (there could be reports but I may have missed them) on the exact way that the 12/13 month report is dated or printed.

it is certainly possible that the branch where you get it will stamp and date it the day you collect it.

This is such a new requirement that quite a few details are fuzzy, not to mention the fact that every bank could do it slightly differently. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker