Why such different prices for domestic travel?

connda

On 2/15/2020 at 6:16 PM, PatOngo said:

If you are not in a hurry, the bright minds are discussing building a bridge to Koh Samui!

The powers that be also have said they will build another airport for all to use. Has anyone used the new airport yet? 555

1 minute ago, elgenon said:

The powers that be also have said they will build another airport for all to use. Has anyone used the new airport yet? 555

I guess this is forward planning for when their family or relatives take over their positions in the future. Nepotism!

On 2/16/2020 at 9:10 AM, Tim16 said:

Samui Airport is privately owned and operated by Bangkok Airways. Most flights from the island are operated by Bangkok Airways. - they have monopoly and can charge what they like.

Yes, capitalism at it's best.

On 2/16/2020 at 9:45 AM, VocalNeal said:

If you owned an airline and built your own airport what would you do? 

No matter how rich I was, I would make sure that the ordinary people got a fair deal, even if it meant not having millions to leave to any greedy offspring.

Bangkok Airways are a private company and therefore can charge what they like - as with many things, you have a choice. Just do what most people do - fly to Surat Thani and take the ferry.  Clearly BA aren't worried about their pricing structure or they'd make it cheaper to fly to Samui/Trat and any other airports that they own.

Edited by KhaoYai

31 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Bangkok Airways are a private company and therefore can charge what they like - as with many things, you have a choice. Just do what most people do - fly to Surat Thani and take the ferry.  Clearly BA aren't worried about their pricing structure or they'd make it cheaper to fly to Samui/Trat and any other airports that they own.

The reality is that they can't afford to bring their prices substantially down or allow the low cost carriers to land in Samui. The route is their lifeline, without it they would go bankrupt sooner or later. They just don't have the size to compete with AirAsia or Scoot/Nok Air.

Btw they've cut the extra 5kg baggage allowance for the basic FlyerBonus members from 1st of March...would be interesting to see their financials when they come out next time.

On 2/15/2020 at 9:10 PM, Tim16 said:

Samui Airport is privately owned and operated by Bangkok Airways. Most flights from the island are operated by Bangkok Airways. - they have monopoly and can charge what they like.

I thought I flew Nok Air a few years ago, from Utapao to Samui.  Today I don't see any NOK air coming or going to Utapao.  My memory could be bad or things have changed.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2020 at 9:42 AM, cornishcarlos said:

Or just don't bother going to Samui !!

It lost it's charm years ago anyway....

Having said that, I still go over on the ferry occasional with my scooter, just to have a poke around ????

But if you live on Samui, you don't have a choice ( if you want to fly). I like the nationalize idea.