BANGKOK

Very comprehensive, thank you. Those with a taste for the ladies will be disappointed; no mention of pole dancers, bar girls or karaokes. Do you take a vow of celibacy while you are there?

A few specifics:

How does the scooter/motorbike population compare?

Longer-term condo studio apartment with pool - how much per month?

Police - how do they react to you?

• Haha 2

Living in Surin province, 50km from the Cambodian border I meet quiet a few Camdonians .. one plus u didn't mention is a lot more of them speak English.

Driving on the 'right side of the road' ..for me that's Thailand. 

Bottom line, I think based on where I live is Thailand is better except the whole Visa farce and shenanigans.. you play it straight they can give you the run around .. pay 20/30k bt you get VIP treatment !!

Good write up and an interesting read ..

enjoy

• Like 1

how about some pics next time?

21 minutes ago, JoeMc said:

Living in Surin province, 50km from the Cambodian border I meet quiet a few Camdonians .. one plus u didn't mention is a lot more of them speak English.

Yeah I did forget that, the English level is very high here. Its easy to have a conversation with a stranger, usually the tuktuk guys (especially the younger dudes) who will jabber with you forever.

I guess a lot of folks here use the O Smach-Surin crossing for Border runs. and shopping.

3 minutes ago, Pravda said:

how about some pics next time?

I know, Ill get some, I guess I need to hire me a driver for a few hours...I guess I will wend my way out later if it isnt too hot.

• Like 1

Seems like a ridiculous senseless comparison 3rd world SR to Asoke one of the higher end areas in BKK.. 🙂

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

pro photographer. I live 500 meters or so from Pub Street, so basically, that means in BKKthe equivelent would be living in say Asoke.

I love the "if I get sick put me on a plane". Yes, you are in the 3rd world hopefully it won't be too late.

Good luck thanks for the report and enjoy those 50 cent beers, happy pizza and all the sexy available ladies in SR.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I love the "if I get sick put me on a plane". 

There area few big hospitals in siem reap apart from numerous small clinics. The doctor's speak English. you must confirm with your insurance provider back home if it's valid for cambodia. 

The 50 cent beer. Ya I love it too.

The best part is the one year visa for a small price and no 90 day reporting or tm30 like Thailand.

In case you are single and ready to mingle, I hope you find a loving and caring Cambodian woman and move on with your life.

Just now, lovethai123 said:

There area few big hospitals in siem reap apart from numerous small clinics. The doctor's speak English. you must confirm with your insurance provider back home if it's valid for cambodia. 

My insurance covers Cambodia, but it matters naught, they are just reimbursement anyway. I guess us barangs go to Royal Hospital which is part of Bangkok Hospital. So heres the cash, send me to BKK.

3 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

The best part is the one year visa for a small price and no 90 day reporting or tm30 like Thailand.

And I can basically come and go as I please here, and now there. 

• Like 1

I think the “obsequiousness” of the people as you describe would be tough to deal with.  I just don’t feel comfortable with ass kissers.  I notice the same thing when dealing with Burmese waitstaff at one of my favorite restaurants in Chiang Mai.  Of course, I don’t like the standoffishness that Thais can present but would prefer it to someone treating me like a king rather than just an average joe.

Have you had a chance to mingle with many normal people there?  Ones not connected with he service industry such as waiters at a restaurant or the staff at the condo.  I would expect that they would be more down to earth there vs the all style, no substance that seems pervasive in BKK.   Do the people there have the ability to be introspective?  Are they aware of the shortcomings of their own culture and can see not only what’s good, but also what’s bad, unlike the Thais who will defend some of the most ridiculous things to the death. I’m certainly aware of the shortcomings of American culture so it’s not like I’m riding in on my high horse.