2.5y kid - extension or overstay?

Our 2.5y kid's 30-day exemption (HK passport) stay is expiring today... We decided to stay for another 30 days, so we are not sure if we would do extension, or just let him overstay?

I did my extension in Patong immigration last week (it was terrible, queued people outside literally fighting and swearing at each other), officer told me "by the law,  should bring the toddler in and do all the procedure like for an adult... OR, if we let him overstay, there will be no penalty because he is a kid under 15".

Will he still get "overstay" stamp in his passport (and could it be a problem for next year's visit)?

Or if we decide to bring him in I/O for extension torture, will we be able to do it tomorrow (today is Sunday, and tomorrow he will be on 1 day overstay already)?

Thanks and Regards,

Alex

I would say do not worry about getting the day extension. Some immigration offices have even suggested that instead of getting a short stay extension.

The stamp for a child under the age of 15 will not affect entering the country again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I would say do not worry about getting the day extension. Some immigration offices have even suggested that instead of getting a short stay extension.

The stamp for a child under the age of 15 will not affect entering the country again.

Thanks Joe... in our case he will be on 30 days overstay when we leave.

Just wondering, if we decide to make extension tomorrow, is it too late? (tomorrow he will be in overstay already)

Just thinking if we go for some weekend trips, it could be trouble on check-in if hotel see his stay has expired...?

6 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Just thinking if we go for some weekend trips, it could be trouble on check-in if hotel see his stay has expired...?

I wouldn't worry about that. When we check in to hotels in Thailand I only hand over the passports belonging to the adults checking in and not underage children.

No one has ever asked me for a passport for any of our children and even when I have handed one over in the past without being asked they have handed it back after looking at the photo page and only taken copies of the adults passports.

1 hour ago, sallecc said:

officer told me "by the law,  should bring the toddler in and do all the procedure like for an adult... OR, if we let him overstay, there will be no penalty because he is a kid under 15".

Correct in both counts.

will he still get "overstay" stamp in his passport (and could it be a problem for next year's visit)?

Yes he will probably get an overstay stamp. No it shouldn’t be a problem next year.

Or if we decide to bring him in I/O for extension torture, will we be able to do it tomorrow (today is Sunday, and tomorrow he will be on 1 day overstay already)?

Yes you could apply one or a few days late.

500 THB for every day late is usually collected, but given your sons age he shouldn’t be charged.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys... I was also thinking to just let it go and don't give his passport on hotels check-in, but yesterday we checked in new OZO hotel Kata beach, we tried to do it without toddler, but we had to ask for a baby cot, then they demanded to show his passport even when I said "it's not with us at the moment", the guy said we must bring it during the day otherwise some security & immigration bla-bla, so we just gave it in... Their screens are horizontal on check-in desks so I could clearly see he entered all passport & stamps & TM6 copies and details for all 3 passports, well maybe this hotel is more strict than others... We will decide today what to do, maybe will bring him to I/O for extension tomorrow (and bring lots of desserts for him during ordeal lol).

40 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Thanks guys... I was also thinking to just let it go and don't give his passport on hotels check-in, but yesterday we checked in new OZO hotel Kata beach, we tried to do it without toddler, but we had to ask for a baby cot, then they demanded to show his passport even when I said "it's not with us at the moment", the guy said we must bring it during the day otherwise some security & immigration bla-bla, so we just gave it in... Their screens are horizontal on check-in desks so I could clearly see he entered all passport & stamps & TM6 copies and details for all 3 passports, well maybe this hotel is more strict than others... We will decide today what to do, maybe will bring him to I/O for extension tomorrow (and bring lots of desserts for him during ordeal lol).

IMO - as much as it's a pain - it's best to keep him legal.

***It's not going to happen***, but legally your son could be deported if he doesn't have a valid permission to stay.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:09 PM, elviajero said:

Yes you could apply one or a few days late

We decided to do extension for toddler, but he was a bit sick (and very cranky) until today... Can we still do it tomorrow? He will be on his 4th day of overstay... Is it possible to go to I/O and get 30 days extension, or it's too late? Elviajero mentioned it can be done "few days late", but not sure when it's too late, thanks.

44 minutes ago, sallecc said:

We decided to do extension for toddler, but he was a bit sick (and very cranky) until today... Can we still do it tomorrow? He will be on his 4th day of overstay... Is it possible to go to I/O and get 30 days extension, or it's too late? Elviajero mentioned it can be done "few days late", but not sure when it's too late, thanks.

It should not be a problem. People have been able to do it with longer overstays.

• Thanks 1

Update:  we took our toddler to I/O (on 4th day overstay of visa exemption in his HK passport) - I/O said "since he is already in overstay, they could give him only 7-day extension (denial) and told us it's better to go back and do nothing since it's just a baby" - we asked how about possible issues with hotels check-in, he said "it shouldn't be a problem" - so we left I/O without any extension... I will update here later if we get any issues on check-in in hotels later,