Best place for a visa run.

PGThompson1

Hopefully this is the right forum.

I'm on a Non O multiple entry visa, I live in Chiang Mai, I have to leave the country before 11th March.

We are driving down to Koh Chang on the 4th March for a month or so, stopping off in Bangkok, Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat. Is there anywhere of these places that I can do a day border run, or am I better going to Mae Sae, north of Thailand, before starting our travels.

Are you specifically going to Rayong, from Chonburi to Chanthaburi the best route would be the 344 and rejoin the No3 at Klaeng, usually about an hour. If you stay on the No 3 It is about an hour from Klaeng to the junction with 317 which would take you up to the border. You can go to either Ban Pakard or Ban Laem, I always preferred Ban Laem. There were less mini buses there and I was usually in and out in about 30/40 minutes.

Used to be about an hour to the border from the main road but with the improvements should be a bit less now.

From Chanthaburi town you should be able to do the border run in a half day quite easily.

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

near to Chanthaburi ban pakard

From where there was a bad review lately.

The poster in question was obliged to pay a 2000 baht bribe in order to get stamped out of Thailand.

The poster was told by the immigration officer there that he should get an extension from CW and not abuse the system by having the wrong visa.

Might just have been a one off since nobody else has confirmed this.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

From where there was a bad review lately.

The poster in question was obliged to pay a 2000 baht bribe in order to get stamped out of Thailand.

The poster was told by the immigration officer there that he should get an extension from CW and not abuse the system by having the wrong visa.

Might just have been a one off since nobody else has confirmed this.

i read that but one bad reprt from thousand of succesfil crossing, me included several times, ban laem is only a short drive further from chantaburi, there is also the crossing closer to trat Had Lek, as a back up

From Trat there are mini busses going to the border at Hat Lek several times a day. Takes about an hour, hour and a half tops. Thai immigration always polite if not friendly, on the Cambodian side be prepared to pay 1600 baht for visa and same day return. There are, also, of course, the regular number of touts. 100 baht for that, no more, if you want to go that way.

Last year they also still had the "check for fever scheme", just drop 20 baht to avoid discussions.

Upon return to Thailand there are usually mini buses waiting to take you back to Trat.