OA Visa questions

Apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseam.  Some OA Visa questions.  This will be my first application.

1.  Does the 800k need to be in a Thai bank account when I originally apply or is a confirmation on a Canadian bank letterhead confirming I have the funds in my Canadian bank account sufficient.  

2.  Mandatory medical insurance.  As I understand it my medical insurance can only be from 1 of the listed Thai insurance companies on longstay.tgia.org.  Is that correct?  If so, some feedback on which is the best Thai insurance company would be appreciated.

3.  Re-entry permit.  Does this have to be done only at the airport right when I am leaving on a plane or can it be done before I arrive at the airport?  Where exactly is this process completed at BKK and DMK?  

4.  If I am out of the Thailand for 4 months during my 1 year OA Visa do I assume there is no 90 day reporting required.  I know a silly question but better safe than sorry.

5.  If I live in Bangkok and stay in a Pattaya hotel for 1 night do I need to go to the Immigration office the day I return to Bangkok?  do I need to go to immigration even if I stayed in a hotel in the same city?

6.  I have no rental property at this time.  Do I just put the name and address of the hotel I will be staying at as my Thailand address when I apply?

Thanks to UbonJoe and others who may be answering my questions. 

The requirements to apply for a OA visa at the embassy in Ottawa is here.

http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visiting-thailand/visas/types-visas-periods-stay-fees/non-immigrant-visa-temporary-residents

Or at the consulate in Vancouver. http://www.thaiconsulatevancouver.ca/retirement-visa/

Or are you actually asking about applying for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at a immigration office.

27 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

1.  Does the 800k need to be in a Thai bank account when I originally apply or is a confirmation on a Canadian bank letterhead confirming I have the funds in my Canadian bank account sufficient.  

The 800K (equivalent) can be in your Canadian bank account. What documents are required to prove that will be listed by the Embassy.

2.  Mandatory medical insurance.  As I understand it my medical insurance can only be from 1 of the listed Thai insurance companies on longstay.tgia.org.  Is that correct?  If so, some feedback on which is the best Thai insurance company would be appreciated.

You can use a foreign insurance company if it meets the minimum standards.

3.  Re-entry permit.  Does this have to be done only at the airport right when I am leaving on a plane or can it be done before I arrive at the airport?  Where exactly is this process completed at BKK and DMK?  

The O-A visa is a Multiple Entry Visa. You can use it to enter the country as often as you like for 1 year from the date it's issued. You do not need a re-entry permit for any entry during that year.

When you make your last entry using the visa you will be given a final 1 year stay - even if entering the day the entry visa expires. If you want to leave the country and return during that last 1 year stay you need a re-entry permit to protect that stay. You can buy it from your nearest immigration office at anytime, or at the major airports on the way out of the country.

4.  If I am out of the Thailand for 4 months during my 1 year OA Visa do I assume there is no 90 day reporting required.  I know a silly question but better safe than sorry.

Yes. You don't need to report your address if out of the country as you're out of the country. You only need to make a 90 day address report if you stay in the country for 90 days+.

Every time you leave the 90 day count stops. And it starts at day 1 on the day you re-enter the country.

5.  If I live in Bangkok and stay in a Pattaya hotel for 1 night do I need to go to the Immigration office the day I return to Bangkok?  do I need to go to immigration even if I stayed in a hotel in the same city?

No.

6.  I have no rental property at this time.  Do I just put the name and address of the hotel I will be staying at as my Thailand address when I apply?

Yes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlexCanada said:

1 hour ago, AlexCanada said:

If your not in Thailand most of the time, the Thai insurance may or not cover you, you need to check out the in Thailand more than 6 months out of 12 months T&C of the Thai insurance perhaps...

Don't get a non O-A it's a dead man walking visa. 

Used to be excellent option.

Talk about 5 star to zero star describes it now.

Get a non O based on retirement and if you want to have insurance from a real insurance company and not rubbish from thai.

• Like 1