Flight time changed by airline and Overstay stamp

I was meant to fly out of thailand on the 7th of March(When my visa exempt expires)...................

The airline has changed the flight to the next day (To the 8th)

I know that for only 24 hours over there will be no overstay fine from the airport ......BUT there will still be a 24 hour overstay stamp.

----Do you think if i bring evidence my flight was cancelled/changed I can dodge the 24 hour overstay stamp?

-------I am planning to fly from Phuket > KL ..............to get a tourist visa........(It would not look good to have an overstay stamp on the previous page)

Maybe its better try and rearrange to another flight on the 7th..........(I booked through a 3rd party so not sure if this is possible........I am low on money so really cannot afford to waste even more money on a whole new flight)

If flying from either airport in Bangkok you will not be fined for an overstay of less than 24 hours and the stamp will say that.

At other airports you will be fined 500 baht.

You could apply for a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry if you have not gotten one yet for your current entry.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That depends on which airport your flying out of. Also I'm not aware of ONE airline that you could obtain "weeks before flight".

Most have a 48 hour prior. 

Many airline even with online check in require you to attend check in.

The line is called "Document check".

Eg right now I type this from Saigon.

Fly back to bkk tomorrow. No point in me doing online check in. I will still have to attend counter. That will not open till 3 hours pre departure.

Can anyone tell me the advantage of online check-in if you have luggage. Still got to weigh it in, have passport, and maybe temperature, checked. The on-line check in queues are sometimes longer than the other, or the staff simply point you to the next available one, checked in or not. And you show them your printed boarding pass.....and they print another for you.

10 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Can anyone tell me the advantage of online check-in if you have luggage. Still got to weigh it in, have passport, and maybe temperature, checked. The on-line check in queues are sometimes longer than the other, or the staff simply point you to the next available one, checked in or not. And you show them your printed boarding pass.....and they print another for you.

True. However the online check in system is pretty much for folk with no baggage drop off. There is a lot of them esp in Asia where many folk travel light weight.

My Thai gf and myself travel often to Japan. Online check in. Then use doc check line works well.

Not possible if we had check in luggage at some airports.

Edited by DrJack54

15 minutes ago, stouricks said:

I think i've never seen an online checkin / luggage drop off queue which is longer than the regular queue.

Usually this queue is empty or a hand full of persons maximum, so it saves you from standing in the regular queue (sometimes 30 minutes)

Edited by jackdd

40 minutes ago, hydraides said:

From 1pm on saturday 7th........to 1pm on 8th sunday

Don't really want to stay in the airport for 12 hours+

Clear immigration, then Lounge pass and hotel

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Seat selection and a shorter line at the airport, Ive never seen a baggage drop line longer than the normal check in.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:
1 hour ago, hydraides said:

From 1pm on saturday 7th........to 1pm on 8th sunday

Don't really want to stay in the airport for 12 hours+

Clear immigration, then Lounge pass and hotel

The OP has to check in first and his flight has been nudged by 24-hours so the lounges and hotels aren't an option even if the he had some spare cash which he says he hasn't.

59 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Apart from the usually much shorter queues when checking in, I thought that when you had checked-in on-line that your seat was secured and you don't risk being denied boarding in case of over-booking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

Apart from the usually much shorter queues when checking in, I thought that when you had checked-in on-line that your seat was secured and you don't risk being denied boarding in case of over-booking.

The main reason why I do online check in is to get the seat I want... Last row window,

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, JWRC said:

If the airline has changed you from the 7th to the 8th, I would be asking them for the 6th to avoid any potential problems.

eva air have cancelled my flight to lhr, but was offered the day before or the day after

2 hours ago, CharlieK said:

I'm sure the airline will be more than willing to lay on a special flight! 

Even if the only flight from A to B was canceled on that day, they might be able to offer you a connecting ticket via a third airport, it's not unreasonable at all to ask for it and be insistent about it...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moonhiker said:

Even if the only flight from A to B was canceled on that day, they might be able to offer you a connecting ticket via a third airport, it's not unreasonable at all to ask for it and be insistent about it...

Good Luck with that. 

7 hours ago, stouricks said:

Some airports and some companies (Lufthansa Francfort , ...) have self service baggage kiosks, we can check-in bags with the boarding pass received on mobile phone (on-line checking). So no Queue, no stress ....

7 hours ago, benoit75 said:

Some airports and some companies (Lufthansa Francfort , ...) have self service baggage kiosks, we can check-in bags with the boarding pass received on mobile phone (on-line checking). So no Queue, no stress ....

Except waiting for the next self service baggage kiosk!

And Passport Check, fingerprints, health check....where is that done please?

10 hours ago, moonhiker said:

I'd be more inclined to not be insistent but to phrase the question differently. I would start by letting them know you understand that the airline has the right to change flights. I would then ask what steps they have put in place legally to stop you being branded an overstayer which has connotations of being a 'bad' guy in Thailand due to Thai Immigration campaigns.

Ask who will be paying any fines (even if fines are not applicable in this instance), and what the airline will be doing if overstay stamp is added to your passport page. Also what will be done if that stamp is used in future to deny entry to any other country.

Ask for the response in writing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

What time of day is the new flight ? Depending on the new flight time, you could always clear immigration before midnight on the 7th and hang around airside waiting for the new flight.

Does that work? It is some years ago but I tried that and they still put me on overstay, by 6 minutes for the old BA flight!