Flight time changed by airline and Overstay stamp

21 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Clear immigration, then Lounge pass and hotel

How do you clear immigration before checkin? For international flights document check is required except for Air Asia and JetStar... maybe some other low cost airlines as well... But serious airlines do ask you to check documents and stamp your boarding pass once done...

21 hours ago, stouricks said:

Can anyone tell me the advantage of online check-in if you have luggage. Still got to weigh it in, have passport, and maybe temperature, checked. The on-line check in queues are sometimes longer than the other, or the staff simply point you to the next available one, checked in or not. And you show them your printed boarding pass.....and they print another for you.

Because there is in many cases a online check in line which is shorter.

I travel a lot and flight changes sometimes happen. Do some research before you call to see if there are other flights on the carrier that would be to your liking either with a connection or leaving a day earlier (don't worry about any cost differential). Even with discount carriers, when there has been a change of this magnitude, I've always been able to either get the change I wanted or get a complete refund and book a new ticket on a different carrier. The airline would prefer to find a way to keep you on their planes rather than refunding so they are usually very flexible. 

Just call and say, "This change won't work for me since I must travel on that day. I'd like XYZ flights instead (or a refund)." Schedule changes are almost always your friend since you can move to a better itinerary at no cost to you. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sujo said:

Can you not call the airline and insist they honor the original flight or arrange alternative at their cost due to visa issue?

I dont know if you can.

Just a wild guess but I’m sure the airline would not change back to the original schedule because a passenger asked them too. Maybe there is a mechanical issue with the plane. Who knows.

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Does that work? It is some years ago but I tried that and they still put me on overstay, by 6 minutes for the old BA flight!

There used to be signs at departure immigration warning that they would calculate overstay based on the day the flight was departing, not the day the passenger passed through immigration (i.e., no point in trying to try to get stamped out before midnight). I haven't seen those signs recently, so I don't know whether that's still the policy.

This brings up a question for me now.  A couple years ago, I had the same situation and I took my email to the airport.  I went through Immigration and the guy looks at my Passport and says, "You are 1 day, late.  You owe me 1000 Baht.  I refused and showed him the email from the airline.  He didn't care, I was taken to a small room where I was asked again for 1000 Baht.  Told them NO.  Taken to another room and a letter was written in Thai and I was asked to sign it.  I refused.  Was not going to sign something I could not read.  But outside they told my wife that the airline would pay the 1000 Baht.

Been here 8 years on a Retirement Visa and I was not going to put 800,000 into the bank.  So I went to Laos and got a 60 day tourist visa expiring on the 15 of March.  My airline ticket bought many months ago if for March 18th.  When I came through Nong Khai the Immigration officer there said that when I go to the airport I will have to pay 1500 Baht.  I said OK.

Now I read that I may get a stamp in my Passport saying I overstayed 3 days?  I don't want this.  What will happen here?  I can go to Immigration and ask for 7 days more to leave Thailand?   Thanks for the replies.

3 minutes ago, thaipo7 said:

Now I read that I may get a stamp in my Passport saying I overstayed 3 days?

If you overstay 3 days you will get an overstay stamp in your passport, hardly surprising.

3 minutes ago, thaipo7 said:

I can go to Immigration and ask for 7 days more to leave Thailand?

Sounds like you didn't get an extension yet, so when you apply for one you will be given another 30 days.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2020 at 5:36 PM, stouricks said:

Can anyone tell me the advantage of online check-in if you have luggage. Still got to weigh it in, have passport, and maybe temperature, checked. The on-line check in queues are sometimes longer than the other, or the staff simply point you to the next available one, checked in or not. And you show them your printed boarding pass.....and they print another for you.

AirAsia charges a LOT more for baggage if you pay when you arrive at the airport. Big discount if you declare it when you buy your ticket or do online check in. 

• Like 2

On 2/16/2020 at 5:15 PM, hydraides said:

From 1pm on saturday 7th........to 1pm on 8th sunday

Don't really want to stay in the airport for 12 hours+

Still cheaper than anything else, be it extension or visa run. For the savings have a nice meal, a drink or two and take something along you enjoy doing (reading, iPad etc.). Clear  immigration (pre-check-in); cheapest solution and 12 hours are bearable ???? 

• Haha 2

There have been many discussions on whether going through immigration the day before your flight counts as leaving for immigration purposes, or whether it's the time of the flight's departure that counts.  I don't recall any consensus or positive proof either way.  A recent discussion may have given us the answer, but the OP hasn't returned to it as promised.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1117619-overstaying-by-a-few-hours/#comments

It seems impractical for the OP anyway and I would suggest contacting the airline, explaining the position, and requesting them to fix it.  Before doing this however, compile a list of alternatives with that airline, with any partners or others in their alliance and lastly with unconnected airlines and when they agree to look for alternatives give them your ones in order of preference.  A 24 hour change is a major change and most airlines will be helpful with finding solutions.

ETA.  Before doing the above, check that your flight has actually been cancelled - they might be bumping you for their own benefit in which case you call them and request reinstatement, explaining why.

Just roll up on the day of your flight pay the fine cop the stamp and away you go, I had the same problem not airline fault but mine mis calculated the date ,stamp has never hindered my entry into Thailand never been questioned about it . Only one day overstay.

• Like 1

If you have passed through immigration and are "airside" I am led to believe you have left the country.  https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/14217/after-passing-through-immigration-at-the-airport-is-it-possible-to-cancel-the-s .

Therefore you have technically left Thailand?

5 hours ago, phetchy said:

If you have passed through immigration and are "airside" I am led to believe you have left the country.  https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/14217/after-passing-through-immigration-at-the-airport-is-it-possible-to-cancel-the-s .

Therefore you have technically left Thailand?

As mentioned above, I have never seen proof positive either way and the 7 year old post you linked to wouldn't convince me either.  I would say you haven't technically left Thailand, only left the Thai side of immigration control in an airport.  However, I'm just another random poster on the internet so who knows who's right?

3 minutes ago, treetops said:

As mentioned above, I have never seen proof positive either way and the 7 year old post you linked to wouldn't convince me either.  I would say you haven't technically left Thailand, only left the Thai side of immigration control in an airport.  However, I'm just another random poster on the internet so who knows who's right?

Yesterday I flew Saigon to DMK.

I passed imm but I missed boarding time.

You are then taken back to side of passport control and two forms are filled in (by staff not you). Then your back outside. Your departure stamp has a cancel stamp on it. 

So much miss info on this thread, I wouldn't know where to start.

OP, why not follow advice post #43. 500 baht small change. As for couple of posters stating  demanding airline do this or that...

After my balls up and new flight to BKK with Vietjet, I chatted with a couple on same flight. They were flying Saigon to U-Tapao Vietjet. Their flight canceled. I imagine because passenger numbers are currently so below normal. They had to fly Saigon-BKK. That flight was 30% full

Tomorrow I fly DMK to Phuket. Will be interested to see airports and flight numbers.

On 2/16/2020 at 5:36 PM, stouricks said:

Always check in online and save your boarding pass to your phone.

1. some airlines now charge extra for printing a paper pass

2. many airlines are happy with the boarding pass issued online with your check-in

3. as said elsewhere, if you have checked in, you are unlikely to be bumped - or (like OP) get your flight changed - and you may get the seat you want.

Even in this dinosaur region, most airports let you check in and then get through security/immigration with an e-pass on your mobile. If any Thai airports still don't, well...........

On 2/17/2020 at 4:23 PM, markeewan said:

One advantage of online check-in is that in the case the airline overbooks seats, those people that check-in online are given priority over those that arrive and try to check-in on the day.

I fly perhaps 50 times per year. Never seen a full flight. Long haul perhaps. 

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

They were flying Saigon to U-Tapao Vietjet. Their flight canceled. I imagine because passenger numbers are currently so below normal.

The route was revised from 7 times weekly to 4 times weekly, I think before it was even launched.  It has now disappeared from the schedule as far as I can see, with the last flight having flown on 16th February and the aircraft that operated it repositioned to Bangkok.  It seemed strange that they would have an aircraft doing only one round trip per day then lying idle, but that's what was happening when I was on it last month.  Seems like it's gone for good, or at least until they think they can improve loads.

Edited by treetops
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

The route was revised from 7 times weekly to 4 times weekly, I think before it was even launched.  It has now disappeared from the schedule as far as I can see, with the last flight having flown on 16th February and the aircraft that operated it repositioned to Bangkok.  It seemed strange that they would have an aircraft doing only one round trip per day then lying idle, but that's what was happening when I was on it last month.  Seems like it's gone for good, or at least until they think they can improve loads.

Thanks. Bit sad if that turns out to be permanent. Some folk that are rejected visa at Saigon consulate still had couple of fly in options. CNX and U-Tapao. Being good choice. 

Minus one would narrow options.

On 2/17/2020 at 5:55 PM, thaipo7 said:

This brings up a question for me now.  A couple years ago, I had the same situation and I took my email to the airport.  I went through Immigration and the guy looks at my Passport and says, "You are 1 day, late.  You owe me 1000 Baht.  I refused and showed him the email from the airline.  He didn't care, I was taken to a small room where I was asked again for 1000 Baht.  Told them NO.  Taken to another room and a letter was written in Thai and I was asked to sign it.  I refused.  Was not going to sign something I could not read.  But outside they told my wife that the airline would pay the 1000 Baht.

Been here 8 years on a Retirement Visa and I was not going to put 800,000 into the bank.  So I went to Laos and got a 60 day tourist visa expiring on the 15 of March.  My airline ticket bought many months ago if for March 18th.  When I came through Nong Khai the Immigration officer there said that when I go to the airport I will have to pay 1500 Baht.  I said OK.

Now I read that I may get a stamp in my Passport saying I overstayed 3 days?  I don't want this.  What will happen here?  I can go to Immigration and ask for 7 days more to leave Thailand?   Thanks for the replies.

Now I read that I may get a stamp in my Passport saying I overstayed 3 days?  I don't want this.  What will happen here?  I can go to Immigration and ask for 7 days more to leave Thailand? .......Yes You Can get a (Up to a 30 Day Extension at Immigration )Costing 1900 Baht....Problem Solved !!

17 hours ago, treetops said:

Well, think of it this way, if you are transiting through an airport like Bangkok from say Hong Kong to Dubai because you are fully ticketed through. Do you need to get a visa to change planes in this instance if you don't need to clear customs?

On 2/16/2020 at 10:04 AM, hydraides said:

I am low on money so really cannot afford to waste even more money on a whole new flight)

Make sure you have the funds to show on the way back in , just in case you are asked.

Presuming you have funds to see you through to the end of your stay?