Thanathorn seeks more public scrutiny of Military

webfact

The military has always governed in Thailand, first in the shadows always ready to intervene, now in the sunlight.
The situation is very dangerous in case the new chiefs of the armed forces decide to make a coup against the junta that governs at the moment!
So friend, calm down you wanted them, keep them!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Future Forward Party (FFP) leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit said that one of the structural problems in the Military is it is not open to scrutiny by members of the House of Representatives and people of the country, especially with its reputation for human rights violations such as physical assault.

A protected species with a huge budget... transparency is not on the agenda!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Problem is that we know who would be on the 'independent body' and their rank too

It doesn't have to be an existing so-called "independent body."

I suggest a tri-partisan (3 largest parties in NLA) to either conduct the investigation directly as a "star chamber" with subpoena power or form a selection committee to nominate citizens at-large not holding public office currently or for the last six years for appointment by the NLA as part of a Special Investigative Committee for Examining Military (SICEM). To prevent political dominance in the appointment to this investigative body by simple majority, a two-thirds vote by the NLA would be required.

• Like 1

I have a Thai "friend" on Facebook (she's more of a friend of a friend though) who, in the aftermath of the shooting stated without hesitation that "I'm so glad Thailand is under military rule" like...umm...first of all, your "military protectors" couldn't protect those 87 victims (including 29 dead excluding the shooter) could they? They have also failed to fully get the southern situation under control despite curfews and emergency powers. So what's the point of your appealing to authority?

Some people are brainwashed while others are super duper brainwashed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I have a Thai "friend" on Facebook (she's more of a friend of a friend though) who, in the aftermath of the shooting stated without hesitation that "I'm so glad Thailand is under military rule" like...umm...first of all, your "military protectors" couldn't protect those 87 victims (including 29 dead excluding the shooter) could they? They have also failed to fully get the southern situation under control despite curfews and emergency powers. So what's the point of your appealing to authority?

Maybe she was being sarcastic or ironic.

36 minutes ago, rtco said:

Are you still up PC-O's backside?

27 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Did you remind her of the incident 20+ years ago when 200 young unarmed Thai folks were shot down and killed in the Bkk Soi Aree area and their bodies quickly whisked away and have never been found and there has never been a proper investigation as to where their bodies are, mainly because nobody would dare to ask questions re this disgraceful sad event. 

The leader of that coup was no other than the ruthless General Sunthorn, the father of the current army chief General Apichart?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

The one who controls the Army holds the 'power ' in Thailand , as the Army can be used to take over another ( may be ' unwanted ' ) Government in the future ( FF ? ) . To be able to change this , the constitution needs to be amended first . To do this the actual  ' rulers ' need to agree , what they will not do ... it all depends on the next election ... but , as long as the army stays obedient to the usual powers , there will be a big risk of another putsch ... it has always been like this in Thailand .

New law execute any coup leaders