Suvarnabhumi..what do they know?

Hi, I am 43 have lived in Thailand doing visa runs for 12 years.

I live off my own money and do not work in Thailand.

The problem is I am too young to get a retirement visa, not married and don't have children in Thailand.

There is no visa for me ( unless I pay 500 000 for the VIP ) other than a tourist visa.

I have done visa runs to savanakhette and vientianne and most other borders in and out.

My passport was stamped with the blue "this person travels requently blah blah blah' so I had to get a new passport.(I've had a few)

Carried on getting tourist visas from the consulates and entering without any problem.

This is my question...

If I fly into savarnabumi with a relatively clean passport , will they bring up my past travel details and give me the 3rd degree and maybe deport me. Or is it just like all border crossings and only done on a visual look in your passport?

(Ps came in through nakhon phanom and they have fingerprint readers now, the immigration guy couldn't work out if I was entitled to a visa exemption so he definitely didn't have record of my travel past)

Cheers

Fb

They know everything.  The questions are how well they compare and correlate information and how often they do it, and how up to date the electronic records are, and how competent an individual immigration official is.  You clearly are at risk of being denied.  A METV from your home country may help.

• Like 2

Ok maybe I should have put it a different way.

When I fly into Suvarnabhumi with a clean passport, do the immigration bods look on the screen to see my Thailand travel records  or just do a visual check of the passport.

I think it's just a visual check going by the info they had at overland borders but not sure.

Would be appreciated if anyone in the same sort of position or someone that has been pulled with a clean newish passport to advise please.

Thanks fb

• Thanks 1

OP, its common knowledge that immigration now uses facial recognition, fingerprints etc. There is a PR story every couple of weeks how they caught an over stayer, too many visits or undesirable using bio-metrics. Add to that the BMWs with facial recognition cameras etc, It wont be a case of if but when.

I mentioned in a previous thread that I was able to observe my details at immigration once when entering Thailand.

As soon as passport is inserted the screen shows your last visit details. In my case in was two entries showing exit from Thailand at Mukdahan and entry at Pho Nam Ron. IO scrolled back again and there was exit Thailand at Phu Nam Ron and enter at DMK. I had entered DMK on my old passport and left via Phu Nam Ron on a new passport and it was seamlessly recorded.

I would say that your chances on entering Thailand depends on how far back the IO scrolls on the computer.

• Like 2

I can understand that after 12 successful years you might feel it unlikely that they will challenge you sometime soon... but I feel you are on borrowed time. You are likely to be denied some time soon at BKK or DMG. 

Maybe look at that PE Visa. 

• Like 1

You are the ‘perfect’ Thai Elite candidate, additionally you are not really a ‘tourist’.

Immigration at the Airports have a record of every entry and exit into Thailand and use key information (Name, DOB, Nationality, Place of Birth etc) and can go back years and see your records.

A friend of mine works in Immigration, about 7 or 8 years ago we were in the pub and I ‘tested him’ about the records, within about 10mins he had screen prints on his phone of all of my entries and exits over the past number of years (on different passports) - my take away is ’they know everything they need to’ although I not certain how well tied in the land boarder crossings are. 

If you want to stay here ‘risk free', stumping up for an Elite Visa would be your best option, everything else involves taking the gamble and risking rejected entry. 

• Like 1

Could have paid for an elite with all the runs.

Im in the same boat mind you, though I wont be here in 12 years I reckon. But I actually "live" in Cambodia, so I am a true tourist ???? 

OP as someone who has actually been here longer than you using various methods including TVs etc I would give this advice

Yes it does help -a full PP or one with lot's of stamps would give the I/O reason to look through his database - whilst a clean one may not stop him doing that it could stop the thought going through his head

Avoid the 2 BKK Airports if possible - land borders are generally more flexible - also look at flying in via smaller Airports - for example KL to Hua Hin

If you're only 43 and plan to stay here longterm then there is only so long you can continue doing what you are doing - look at getting a ED Visa - despite what many posters here will tell you (most who are totally clueless by the way) they are still a viable option for staying here longterm) If you do decide to go down this route go via a agent - there are (legal) ways of doing it this way that could give you years more here

• Like 1

I never have a problem at entry, but they certainly go into OT looking at my info on their computer. My standard wait time at IO's desk is always about 10 minutes. So yes they have your details in the system, and the face and finger print recognition system will point you out. Go get an elite Visa if you want to continue staying here as someone stated, you definitely are a poster child in this case.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Could have paid for an elite with all the runs.

Im in the same boat mind you, though I wont be here in 12 years I reckon. But I actually "live" in Cambodia, so I am a true tourist ???? 

What to do, pay for an Elite VISA, or have 20 one week holidays in Vietnam/Cambodia/Philippines all expenses paid.

It's a hard choice!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

What to do, pay for an Elite VISA, or have 20 one week holidays in Vietnam/Cambodia/Philippines all expenses paid.

It's a hard choice!

Rather precarious though , if you get refused entry from Vietnam , you will get sent back to the UK because Vietnam wont allow you back in 

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Dunno, had a pal who did a year in Bangkok jail for possession of Heroin, then deported and blacklisted.

Went back to the UK, got a new passport, came back a month later.

He's never had a problem since.

I've never found governments particularly competent at keeping track of people.

He is a doper and you trust his word?  I certainly would not.

In any event, if a person changes their name in their home country, then gets a new passport under that name, they will probably escape their past misdeeds.

To add, the technology of the airport immigration is pretty up to date.  I have seen my profile on it shows my photo and everything about me and my historical entry/exits.  

But,  do questionable people slip thru without a hassle?  Sure of course, happens everywhere in the world I bet. 

Just now, bkk6060 said:

He is a doper and you trust his word?  I certainly would not.

He used to live smuggling drugs and gold on a well known Hong Kong, India, Bangkok route.

Also spent 1 year in Hong Kong jail, spoke perfect Thai after his year in BK jail.

I've found criminals don't lie much, when they aren't committing a crime, or evading the police.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Dunno, had a pal who did a year in Bangkok jail for possession of Heroin, then deported and blacklisted.

Went back to the UK, got a new passport, came back a month later.

He's never had a problem since.

I've never found governments particularly competent at keeping track of people.

How long ago was that though ?

Thai immigration has clamped down alot in the last five or so years and improved their capabilities 

What was previously possible is no longer possible 

8 hours ago, Faddybus said:

Ok maybe I should have put it a different way.

When I fly into Suvarnabhumi with a clean passport, do the immigration bods look on the screen to see my Thailand travel records  or just do a visual check of the passport.

I think it's just a visual check going by the info they had at overland borders but not sure.

Would be appreciated if anyone in the same sort of position or someone that has been pulled with a clean newish passport to advise please.

Thanks fb

Your current passport will flag up other passports that a possible yours. It’s then up to the IO to check if they are yours and to manually link them. Once linked the IO sees your full past history. The odds on them not getting linked are tiny.

A clean passport doesn’t help.

Whether or not you get the third degree and depends largely on luck, as the decision to question you/your history is entirely down to the individual IO.

Avoiding Bangkok airports is a good idea as they are increasingly proactive looking for ‘tourists’ living in the country. 

Land borders are a better option, the chances of questioning are less, and if you are denied entry it’s far less hassle as you can simply cross back to the neighbouring country and go for plan B.

Just returned from a visa run using Nong Khai friendship bridge as I normally do.

(Non O multi entry based on marriage).

Never ever had any issues. Been through nearly 4 passports now but again now problems.

Presented Passport and TM6 as usual to IO.

Passed passport through the reader did finger prints and face pic.

All going Swimmingly suddenly a flap from IO looking around waving his arms another IO came into booth.

The normal talking in whispers caught a bit of it. "This passport not belong to him look" taken into room to left of booths. Two new IO's appears with the original one.

All very nice no shouting or finger pointing.

Then new IO's look at passport look at me and ask if I have any other form of ID. Produce pink ID all suddenly changes. Long story short and how I have zero idea but when they scanned my passport it brought up someone else's details on screen hence initial IO's fluster.

All good passport stamped 30 minutes to sort there computer out so my details now belong to me again.

Proof seen by me when they re scanned it all my details came up.

Just goes to prove nothing is predictable in Thailand.

I will say however the IO's dealt with it swiftly with the very minimum of fuss.

They was only acting on the computer information when all said and done.

Edited by fourpack
  • Like 1

True that the under 50, unmarried is a bit of an anomoly in Thailand for long stay.

Unless you are very wealthy or on a WP, B class & working I suppose they think that you should 

be home working & saving for a rainy day.

Chances of getting picked up as you enter are getting more probable every day.

Ensure you have a return ticket & can show real money

6 hours ago, darrendsd said:

If you're only 43 and plan to stay here longterm then there is only so long you can continue doing what you are doing - look at getting a ED Visa - despite what many posters here will tell you (most who are totally clueless by the way) they are still a viable option for staying here longterm) If you do decide to go down this route go via a agent - there are (legal) ways of doing it this way that could give you years more here

Please tell us more about the ED Visa option. How many years stay can you get?