teaching and work permit

ambj1994

Hello everyone,

My roommate just had an interview and did a demo with a private language school in Bangkok.

If she gets a non-imm B visa, can she work? Or, must she wait for that work permit? (By the way, she is currently on an ED visa which expires in March). Can she convert/cancel an ED visa and change it to a B visa at the immigration office in Chaengwattana in Bangkok?

The owner wants her to work as soon as possible. But my roommate said to her that without a work permit she can't work for the school. The owner said "no problem. Don't worry. Immigration or police never come to school and if they do, just tell them you're training." Isn't training also working? 

What would you do? Accept the job and take the risk or move on to the next school.

Hope you can help. Thank you.

Edited by ambj1994

A work permit is required before starting to work and immigration is getting stricter and does perform checks at schools. The work permit doesn't take that that long. 

As far as I know an ED-visa must be cancelled and the non-B must be applied for outside of Thailand. For an ED-visa there is no conversion. 

It definitely seems common to do this providing the HR have already submitted the documentation to obtain the WP. That can then be shown in case of any 'random' checks. 

When I came here from England to work in an international school in Bangkok I had already obtained my Non - B in Hull and then the HR started the WP process once I was here. I started the school year near the end of August and went to collect my WP in mid September (approx 3 -  4 weeks). 

This is exactly the same process for all the new staff who start here every August. This summer we had about 15 new teachers join (a few who were based here already, some from the UK and the rest who were teaching in other countries) and they did the same thing as me. Even the few teachers who were hired in - country still went through the same process as they seem to do everyone's WP applications at a similar time. 

Edited by BobbyL
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ambj1994 said:

How long does it take to get a work permit? The owner of the school said it will take 1-2 months. But I'm reading articles that state that it takes 7-10 days. Which is correct?

It all depends on the number of people in their HR department and definitely how organised they are with the paperwork etc.

I guess it could take 2 weeks, or it could take 2 months. If it is some cowboy language school then I would guess the latter is more likely. 

The actual processing of the permit in Bangkok is a week or two. I can't recall which. It will most likely take an admin two weeks to put the app together assuming you have brought them what they need. You must be on a B (O) visa to qualify. But I'd say one money at the very longest for a language school. The other month is the probation. If immigration did come at the two month mark and you did not have your permit and paperwork was only started and laying about that would be an issue.

Language schools are notorious for not getting proper documentation.