Thai govt ensures sufficient water as drought continues

webfact

This is the Nan river outside my home, taken recently, very low and very slow flowing. This, along with the Ping, Wang & Yom is all that feeds the Chao Praya at Nakhon Sawan. Unless the government strictly controls water usage, especially around Songkran, there will be even bigger serious problems ahead. 

IMG_20191227_111101_resized_20200217_012652728.thumb.jpg.f48f80e06ac6d7f349226e3b4b88037a.jpgIMG_20200124_125940_resized_20200217_013209730.thumb.jpg.4068e6f6f008f92bd09c9e7ec1dc0104.jpg 

Edited by ratcatcher

4 hours ago, CGW said:

I can agree that the long term planning is atrocious throughout Thailand, too many users for too little supply, but, reliance on rain is no a safe bet as yet again they are finding out!

2005 was the last bad drought in Pattaya, this is just a repeat of that, I added supply back then and would not have a house without a guaranteed water supply in Thailand, this will happen again in the future, people are blaming "Thailand", not the weather for this natural cycle, yet another Thai knocking thread!

Other countries have droughts, Australia for example has had atrocious droughts, did people there blame the "government" for the drought as they do here?

Weather patterns change and will continue to do so.

I’m not sure your analogy with Australia has any equivalencies... Australia is at the end (hopefully) of a decade long drought... a decade.

australia already has ten times the dam capacity, and can withstand exceptionally long droughts, which statistics suggest occur every 18 years on average. One year of little rain in Australia, does not a drought make.

the current drought in Australia is mooted as the worst in 800 years.... a millennial event.... and yes, Australians do blame the government for times of little water.... it is the governments responsibility, after all.... even if it is a millennial event.

now... in Thailand.... every year the same same, or so it seems.

7 hours ago, Gold Star said:

You are correct, 90% of the time complaining is a useless act. However, sometimes they have sent me a PWA water truck to deliver water from the city supply, not sucked from some a dirty pond somewhere if you order it privately. I bring along photos of dying plants, toilets that need flushing, stacks of dishes, and piles of laundry. Also, after complaining, I have once had supervisors call me every 12 hours to see if the water is still working, and checking the entire village for several days. Hit and miss. I'm now adding additional 2000L tanks to supplement my 3000L underground tank in anticipation of future lack of supply. This is going to get only worse.

Oh deep joy. This is my 4th attempt to post a reply. The first three were met with being logged out. Not only Thais it seems... ah well.

Yes, I think you're right. I saw a statement today where the govt was saying the water levels at each of the major dams were critical, and yet claimed this as a great victory for the govt in their quest to look after the Thai people.

Where's the sick bag when you need it?

33 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

If farang would not take away thai water, there'd be no shortage.

You're right. I don't know why we don't all just agree and take the blame because pointing out that Thais made their bed and should therefore lie in it seems to be wasted effort.

i glad where I live in Thailand must be somewhere else, as we had 6 months of continuous rain, not sure how big our dam is though, think it could be bigger or another one built as a lot of our rain water went out to sea, was not even used to wash the fishing boats