Former soldier arrested after 40 shots fired at house in Buriram - shooter was cross with his relative

webfact

Former soldier arrested after 40 shots fired at house in Buriram - shooter was cross with his relative

3pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Police in Nang Rong district of Buriram in Thailand's north east arrested a 31 year old former conscript after he used a 9 mm gun to fire more than 40 shots.

A house in the Wat Khunthong area had been surrounded yesterday evening with the man and 5 or 6 relatives inside.

Arrested later was Jakrakrit or "Mas".

He said he was not a Korat shooting copycat.

He was just angry with his "naa" (a relative that is either an aunt or an uncle) who would not lend him their motorcycle to collect wood.

3pm2.jpg

Picture: Daily News

He said he was a former conscript in the army so was familiar with guns. He said he was shooting in the air and had no intention of hurting anyone. He was just cross.

He has been charged with illegal ownership of a weapon and discharging it in a public place.

Earlier reports that he was firing at the police appear to have been overstated, notes Thaivisa.

Sources: Daily News | Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-17
  • Sad 1

He was just angry with his "naa" (a relative that is either an aunt or an uncle) who would not lend him their motorcycle to collect wood.

Oh no, me not copycat, I always shoot off 40 rounds if I can’t borrow the bike! Durrr.

• Like 2

Too many examples of Thai men using guns to vent their anger. Whether they shoot in the air or at other people is probably a question of how disturbed/drunk/high they are.

I would like to see a hotline set up that would enable people to report about those who illegally own firearms.

1 hour ago, ianezy0 said:

He was just angry with his "naa" (a relative that is either an aunt or an uncle) who would not lend him their motorcycle to collect wood.

Oh no, me not copycat, I always shoot off 40 rounds if I can’t borrow the bike! Durrr.

All of these recent events are further strong proof that people do copy what they see on TV, whether it's on the news or whether it's soap operas, which portray violence and rape and more, as 'normal' behavior. 

36 minutes ago, champers said:

Too many examples of Thai men using guns to vent their anger. Whether they shoot in the air or at other people is probably a question of how disturbed/drunk/high they are.

I would like to see a hotline set up that would enable people to report about those who illegally own firearms.

oh please, being thai has nothing to do with such behavior, it happens in many countries, do you watch/read international news?

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

oh please, being thai has nothing to do with such behavior, it happens in many countries, do you watch/read international news?

Of course I read international news but we are on a Thai forum and I live in Thailand. I think gun crime in the US is far worse and knife crime in London is appalling but other threads cover both from time to time.

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Even here a single round of pistol ammunition is not cheap yet he could afford to fire 40 shots? I guess the ammo came free from a military source.....

He actually had 3+ clips on him, seems a bit of a naughty boy.

As for the loaning of the bike, well looking at him, if he had said "I need some grub urgently", they probably would have and saved a lot of hassle...

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

All of these recent events are further strong proof that people do copy what they see on TV, whether it's on the news or whether it's soap operas, which portray violence and rape and more, as 'normal' behavior. 

Sorry to disappoint but this is normal everyday Thailand its just in vogue to report it at the moment. 

• Like 1

I recall when a 9mm round was 35 pence. This is about 14 baht. This was some time ago and I have no idea how much a 9mm round is now.

40 rounds would be 560 baht. Unless he got the ammo free, that's a lot of lao kao.

As has also been said what goes up, must come down. 40 rounds shot into the air could kill a lot of people  or other animals. He didn't think of that as part of being so familiar' with guns.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

He was just angry with his "naa" (a relative that is either an aunt or an uncle) who would not lend him their motorcycle to collect wood.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

he used a 9 mm gun to fire more than 40 shots.

I guess he didn't have a pet to kick?