Grandparents and their 2 year old grandson killed in head on smash - little boy was on gran's lap on the front seat

webfact

Grandparents and their 2 year old grandson killed in head on smash - little boy was on gran's lap on the front seat

7pm.jpg

Picture: Daily Nes

Daily News reported on yet more carnage on Thailand's roads at the weekend.

In Khon Kaen three people were killed after a Suzuki Ciaz collided head on with an earth moving truck on the Lao Na Dee road near the Vithes Suksa Bilingual School in Muang district.

Dead behind the wheel was granddad Art, 47, next to him was his wife Somkhit.

She was holding their 2 year 8 month old grandson on her lap in the front of the vehicle.

All were dead.

It took rescuers an hour to cut them free from the wreckage.

The driver of a pick-up truck, Suriya, 40, told police what happened.

He said he had just picked up papaya from the market when the Suzuki tried to undertake him at high speed. But it was at a narrowing in the road and there was a collision with his vehicle as he braked.

The Suzuki was propelled into the other side of the road into the path of an earth moving six wheeler. The driver of that vehicle was taken to hospital.

Yoi Muang Kao, Khon Kaen police are investigating.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-17
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, anterian said:

Ironically kids on laps are often killed by the airbag triggering in a minor collision. 

Because they have nothing to do on a seat in the front of the vehicle before being ten or twelve years old, or else must be attached to a specific seat "child", so back to the road .

When the Thais understand that a vehicle is not an amusement park .. the hens will have teeth.

To come back to this tragic accident, I am sure that the reaction of the family or those who think they know will be: they did not have the right amulet in the car :wacko:

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

I don't care if they get killed anymore.

I know..it's a shocking confession but it is what it is..I simply don't care if the numpties slaughter each other..and I have no desire to drive on a Thai road ever again.

That's the bottom line, people-they can all massacre each other with great gusto (as they do) as far as I am concerned.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

see the Alphards

A luxury Toyota SUV ... worth a few million baht.
To go back to the minibuses which are almost all Toyota, I have never seen a passenger fastening his seat belt.
However, there should be belts in working condition in these vehicles.
No belts in song theo which are sometimes as large as coaches and can carry 20 to 30 people.
No belt in the tuk tuk;
no helmet on the four people transported in a saleng, these motorcycles with side cars not homologous in thailand and yet there are millions of them circulating ....
In short, security seems to me an unknown word in the Thai dictionary;
on the other hand they know how to use it, in English, without knowing what it means, of course.

Safety First on the side of the truck and on the T-shirts of two workers. :neus:

P9251226_safety_first.thumb.JPG.f68407bb06a50bcb1f92441799e0573e.JPG

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I know..it's a shocking confession but it is what it is..I simply don't care if the numpties slaughter each other..and I have no desire to drive on a Thai road ever again.

That's the bottom line, people-they can all massacre each other as far as I am concerned.

You walk from the airport?

The total fvckwittery on Thailands roads impacts us all, or has the potential to when our ‘risk profile’ is elevated by our simple presence as a passenger in a vehicle in Thailands roads. 

That said, when taking intelligent precautions the ‘risk profile’ can be minimised.

50 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We bought a fairly expensive child seat for our niece. She used it once or twice, then they stopped using it. When we asked why, we were told she did not like it. Huh? Children are not supposed to like child seats. They are not bought for entertainment, they are bought for safety. There is a stunning lack of personal discipline at work within Thai society, and it translates into thousands upon thousands of deaths on the roads here. 

I think the kid "not liking them" is more likely to be the kid is kicking up a fuss or throwing a tantrum. Granted, it takes time to get the littlies used to them. But you have to try. It may take 20 or 30 attempts before they finally get used to it, especially for a baby or young toddler. However, once a child has reached say the age of 3 and is talking and understanding the world around them, there is no excuse.

I still think despite how useful they are and the fact they do save lives, they shouldn't necessarily be mandated but rather strongly encouraged. Smart people do things not based on mandates, but on whether the benefits outweigh the risks. Car seats are clearly a good idea...but in Australia it appears they are now compulsory for children up to the age of 12, which is absolutely ridiculous and indicates the dangerous overreach of too much government. On the other hand, I think car seats should be used by children up to the ages of between 4 and 6, depending on the size of the child and whether they can be securely strapped in by a conventional seat belt. 12 is taking it way over the top though.

its the family on a scooter that gets me, mum on the back holding a tiny baby aloft,  just waiting to get thrown down the road, every day occurance, they have no western values as to road safety, its the shoaling fish attitude, my amulet will save me or it will never happen to me, statistics prove otherwise

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

That's the bottom line, people-they can all massacre each other with great gusto (as they do) as far as I am concerned.

My friend Odysseus123, these are shocking words from you. These words do not fit the personality that I have come to know on the forum.

We must never  say die  give up.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I have been very successful using a car seat.

My wife needed no convincing. The seat went in the back of the car and the child went in the seat. No excuses, no exceptions.

Any responsible parent should do that and never take no for an answer.

Rooster

Yep, if the kids created too much I would pull over rather than let them out the seat whilst the car was moving. Turning up the music system in the front worked quite well too.

1 minute ago, mercman24 said:

its the family on a scooter that gets me, mum on the back holding a tiny baby aloft,  just waiting to get thrown down the road, every day occurance, they have no western values as to road safety, its the shoaling fish attitude, my amulet will save me or it will never happen to me, statistics prove otherwise

I agree. What I don't get is people talking about how these people on scooters are "poor". If they're so poor, how can they afford a scooter in the first place? Really poor people back home in the west usually have NO vehicle of any kind at all, they catch the bus. Since public transportation is widely available throughout Thailand (the quality may not be that good, but that's another story) why aren't poor people just catching the bus? Is it a face thing? Like "oh, I need a motorcycle or scooter just so my neighbor knows I am not THAT poor". Anyway, just my two cents.

• Like 2

Not too sure how relevent it is but the pickup driver said he had picked up some provisions when the Susuki undertook him.

Had he just pulled out without ( as they do ) looking to see a speeding car coming along ? He also added that he collided with the car .  How many times do we drive along only to find a vehicle pulls out from the side ? Plus the car undertook him , was he crossing the road ?

1 minute ago, sungod said:

Yep, if the kids created too much I would pull over rather than let them out the seat whilst the car was moving. Turning up the music system in the front worked quite well too.

Leaving he kid at home with a caretaker would also work.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, drbeach said:

If they're so poor, how can they afford a scooter in the first place?

Simply because everything here can be bought on credit;
and you can buy a scooter of 50,000 baht over 84 months, so very low monthly payments .. of the order of 700 to 800 baht per month ...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I agree. What I don't get is people talking about how these people on scooters are "poor". If they're so poor, how can they afford a scooter in the first place? Really poor people back home in the west usually have NO vehicle of any kind at all, they catch the bus. Since public transportation is widely available throughout Thailand (the quality may not be that good, but that's another story) why aren't poor people just catching the bus? Is it a face thing? Like "oh, I need a motorcycle or scooter just so my neighbor knows I am not THAT poor". Anyway, just my two cents.

Tut Tut; they can't possibly be seen WALKING to the nearest 7-Eleven now can they, such shame !

• Like 1