Grandparents and their 2 year old grandson killed in head on smash - little boy was on gran's lap on the front seat

webfact

25 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

As you said "the total Fvckwittery on Thailands roads"

But yes I catch a taxi from the airport.

The son-in-law gives me a lift back from the second airport.

So you trust Thai drivers more than yourself? They're the ones who make "the total Fvckwittery on Thailands roads".

• Haha 1

Just now, Vacuum said:

So you trust Thai drivers more than yourself? They're the ones who make "the total Fvckwittery on Thailands roads".

Hmmm..I've got a full right leg prosthesis.

Whatever I (or perhaps you) may think of Thai drivers you really don't wanna see me behind the wheel these days..

On the other hand..a Tiger tank and a titanium leg might be what one needs these days on the average Thai road.????

A grandparent to a child nearly 3 years old and you're only 47? Wow. 

Be that as it may, child car seats are not the answer. If they were how is it possible that everyone from my generation and before made it out alive? We all sat on dad's lap when he drove, or the passenger's lap, or wandered around the back seat. There were no seatbelts or child car seats. 

Safe driving techniques is the answer. The car driver was at fault for trying to pass. If they had been driving like a normal human and taking care, all would be alive today.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

As you said "the total Fvckwittery on Thailands roads"

But yes I catch a taxi from the airport.

The son-in-law gives me a lift back from the second airport.

I have informed my family that,as far as I am concerned,if they drive like f'wits then I really don't care whether they live or die .

I kicked a Thai woman out of the car last week for refusing to wear a seatbelt ("it's so tight!) and couldn't care less what she (or the great Thai Culture) thought about the matter.

Brains of marmosets.

I kind of get that... I’ve pulled over and told a Thai colleague to get out unless she puts on the seatbelt (a Chula MSc Grad nonetheless - but ultimately as dumb as a plank), her argument was that she’d ‘look stupid’ !!!

No one gets transported in my car without a seat belt. The In-laws understand this and automatically put on their seatbelts, yet never do in their own car. 

When our child was an infant our nanny complained that our son didn’t like the car seat because he was crying, she was educated in no uncertain terms. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cereal said:

Be that as it may, child car seats are not the answer. If they were how is it possible that everyone from my generation and before made it out alive? We all sat on dad's lap when he drove, or the passenger's lap, or wandered around the back seat. There were no seatbelts or child car seats. 

Safe driving techniques is the answer. The car driver was at fault for trying to pass. If they had been driving like a normal human and taking care, all would be alive today.

Say what now???  

This is the level of dumbfookery commonly deployed by the 'anti-nanny-state brigade’... you know the type of poster who writes... 'I never wore a helmet / seatbelt and I’m still here’ or ‘we played with firearms and didn’t get hurt’...  these posters are so dumb they completely forget the fact that those who succumbed to either their own carelessness and stupidity or of those caring for them are unable to comment because they are either dead or disabled. 

Sitting on Dad’s lap steering while he drives through the safari park or slowly up the moo-ban, or even on the back of Dad’s motorcycle (inside the moo-baan - still with a helmet on) is significantly different from doing so on the open road or even around town. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

its the family on a scooter that gets me, mum on the back holding a tiny baby aloft,  just waiting to get thrown down the road, every day occurance, they have no western values as to road safety, its the shoaling fish attitude, my amulet will save me or it will never happen to me, statistics prove otherwise

Agreed, however, a major facet of Thailands poor road stats is poverty. A family who can only afford a scooter use it as their only means of transport, there are limited alternatives. 

Those who can afford a car can afford a child seat and can wear seatbelts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

I have been very successful using a car seat.

My wife needed no convincing. The seat went in the back of the car and the child went in the seat. No excuses, no exceptions.

Any responsible parent should do that and never take no for an answer.

Rooster

agree, what's more precious than a child's life? no ifs, no buts.

3 hours ago, drbeach said:

I think the kid "not liking them" is more likely to be the kid is kicking up a fuss or throwing a tantrum. Granted, it takes time to get the littlies used to them. But you have to try. It may take 20 or 30 attempts before they finally get used to it, especially for a baby or young toddler. However, once a child has reached say the age of 3 and is talking and understanding the world around them, there is no excuse.

I still think despite how useful they are and the fact they do save lives, they shouldn't necessarily be mandated but rather strongly encouraged. Smart people do things not based on mandates, but on whether the benefits outweigh the risks. Car seats are clearly a good idea...but in Australia it appears they are now compulsory for children up to the age of 12, which is absolutely ridiculous and indicates the dangerous overreach of too much government. On the other hand, I think car seats should be used by children up to the ages of between 4 and 6, depending on the size of the child and whether they can be securely strapped in by a conventional seat belt. 12 is taking it way over the top though.

What it really comes down to, is the question of who the parents are. Does the child own the parents, or do the parents control the child? I see alot of the former these days, and it is not just here, it is worldwide.

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

We saw it all the time in Saudi Arabia too. Women sitting in the front with babies standing on their laps holding the dashboard and looking out. We used to call the kids Saudi air bags.

R.I.P. Little one, unfortunately you were in the hands of a couple of idiots.

I think Saudi is Thailand's main competition in the car crash stakes if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mercman24 said:

its the family on a scooter that gets me, mum on the back holding a tiny baby aloft,  just waiting to get thrown down the road, every day occurance, they have no western values as to road safety, its the shoaling fish attitude, my amulet will save me or it will never happen to me, statistics prove otherwise

TB2ab.cm4XlpuFjSsphXXbJOXXa_!!2659295024

I'm seeing different versions of this solution more frequently now... A child seat on a scooter, sometimes with a little belt... 

6 hours ago, Cereal said:

E.g.: 22 + 22 + 3 = 47

What's so "wow" for you?

A Thai woman over 25 without a child is considered "something wrong".

Edited by KhunBENQ

The story told by the pickup driver sounds fishy/suspicious.

To me sounds like: I was creeping on the right lane with my veggie shuttle when this brazen compact tried to undercut me. So I pushed to pedal to learn him a lesson.

Edited by KhunBENQ

It doesn’t matter whether the PU was going too slow or not....

you drive and process road conditions with safety driving that equation...

thai drivers lack patience and I see it everyday out there ending in bad decisions (it doesn’t mean accidents happen - still a bad decision)

Thai drivers have the attitude that they must get ahead of the next car by passing in high risk situations And then the next car and so on...very common on single lane direction just making it a second or two b/f an coming car....this craziness becomes normal driving and eventually it ends in this article.....

Edited by cardinalblue

On 2/17/2020 at 11:12 AM, spidermike007 said:

We bought a fairly expensive child seat for our niece. She used it once or twice, then they stopped using it. When we asked why, we were told she did not like it. Huh? Children are not supposed to like child seats. They are not bought for entertainment, they are bought for safety. There is a stunning lack of personal discipline at work within Thai society, and it translates into thousands upon thousands of deaths on the roads here. 

It is too difficult to educate 68 millions pieces of dead wood!

On 2/17/2020 at 4:42 PM, cardinalblue said:

It wasn’t the lack of a child seat that killed the kid: it was speeding and passing when it wasn’t appropriate or warranted...

Poor decision making and stupid behavior caused this fatality...

normal Driving for Thai roads...

This is what I said and got crapped upon. The crappers are the ones in the wrong.