Aranya Prathet Crossing

Deserted

Can I bring my bicycle over the border? I want to do some cycling over there. Are they going to charge me. How much. Has anyone done it before? Phnom Penh is too far, I thought bus or train to Battnbang then cycle it from there should be ok.

What issues will I face?

never crossed at that particular border crossing, but have done so many times between cambo-thai and cambo-laos.

never a problem with the bicycle.  no additional charges for the bike, no extra fees other than the traditional extra $1-5 tea money.

don't know about crowds or facilities at that crossing, so can't say whether you'll have problems trying to drag your bike through the immigration building. 

other crossings have walk-up booths, no worries about locking bike up outside with bags attached and leaving unattended.

you might check crazyguyonabike website for recent trip reports.

15 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

don't know about crowds or facilities at that crossing, so can't say whether you'll have problems trying to drag your bike through the immigration building. 

ArunyaPrathet makes foreigners go up and down stairs to pass through immigration.

That'd be fun with a bicycle.

Edited by BritManToo

in that case, there's the pailin crossing that i've heard is much less trouble than poipet, if he wants to get to aranyaprathet.

if he doesn't mind a bit more riding, he can head north and cross at o'smach.  i assume too far for him to go south via hat lek.

what about taking a bus across the border?  do they require all baggage be removed for inspection? 

here's a report from 4 months ago:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=592406&v=5H

seems they had pre-printed e-visas for cambodia, got stamped at an outside booth with traffic on the thai side.  left bikes with tuktuks and went inside on the cambo side.

Edited by ChouDoufu