General Motors to stop selling Chevrolet cars in Thailand

webfact

Never considered buying an American car, here in Thailand. And I say that as an American. Japanese cars are just far better made, and last so much longer. 

This will be a significant inroad for the Chinese here. Wonder how the Japanese companies feel about this. Or, does it even register on their radar? My guess is that the Thai army are celebrating the addition of their Chicom brothers, to the manufacturing scene here. 

3 hours ago, billsmart said:

I've always been a "Chevy Man" when i lived in the U.S.

My first car was a 1957 Chevy convertible. (It was about five years old then.) I then had a newer, used 1964 Chevy convertible, and finally a brand new 1967 Chevy Camero SS 396 v8.

I now have a Chevy Colorado truck here in Thailand. I bought it brand new about six years ago. It's been a very good vehicle, and I hope to have it for many more years.

I wonder if the dealerships go, if the new owners, Great Wall, will continue to service cars and trucks like mine.

Sadly it looks like your rides will be worthless....????

With most of my working life in automotive, I can speak reasonably well about the industry, especially Asia Pacific region. 

My mentor in Denso Japan said, 

"no business with no profit is better than business with no profit "...

I've raised this several times in other forums here.

Domestic consumption is not sufficient as it also was for Toyota. 

The exchange rates have killed the export market. 

Normally built on incremental costs. 

Afternoon or night shift. 

About 25% extra is now currently required to purchase the export built stock. 

If day production is not selling, you cannot operate the afternoon or night shift and build export. 

Simple economic decisions. 

Thailand government has no idea how much the adverse exchange rates will cause repercussions...

3 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

I rented a few Chevrolet's in Thailand - absolute rubbish cars with plastic trim falling off and very cheap quality. I have only purchased Honda and they seem to go forever and are cost efficient to maintain.

In the aerly day's its deawoo but now much better. you don't know what you talking about with, rubbish and plastic. I have a pick-up 6 years, same quality like a Toyota , never have one problem.

with my beamer, price a litle higher i went to the dealer number of times.. so what you say is rubbish...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

good, ALL foreigns corporation need stop make busines whit thai, and then can looking how longtime thailand can live whitout foreign, i know not longtime economy drop down lot and many million no have3 work, but thai can see how important foreigns have him economy, if not change immigration law normal human model law no busines no money no wortk many million thai.chinese money not can do anythink good, chinese make and take out more money than thailand come in at china. but western have lot more money and important all busines make lot work at thai peoples, but if immigration law not change normal human law no need busines whit thai and thai peoples no have work and money newer again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Never ever considered a Chevy here. As for Chinese made cars, no way to that as well. 

They're pretty good by all accounts. I nearly bought a Chevy alternative to the Fortuner, but the sales guy was a bit too anxious to knock the trade-in price down.

An he lost the deal, bye bye. Som nam na. Probably mistook me for a Thai qho'd believe any old nonsense if it came with a wai an a grin.

Edited by ParkerN

All you naysayers - my 98 y.o. father, an 8 times decorated WWII pilot and fighter ace (he was born in Oz from UK folks, but he only flew USA made P40 Kittyhawks and PBY Catalinas) just absolutely loves his Holden/Chevrolet/Isuzu Colorado pickup truck (ute in Oz) and yes, he still has a licence and still drives daily with no glasses, unlike me ! As others on here have already referred to though, they were really just an Isuzu, with a Holden badge added on - made in Thailand, as all Holden/Chevy Colorado utes have been since 2001. Great vehicles. I personally love real 'old' Holdens (pre 1978) as they go for ever. I clocked 589,000 miles in a 1971 Kingswood, whilst in the army - it and I went almost everywhere. This decision by GM has just added $5 grand to every old mint condition Holden in Oz. I am about to buy a 1957 Holden (real nice though) for $30K AUD, (if the old guy accepts my bid). For you Americans - it looks like its' big brother the '57 Chev, tail fins and all. Little 138 c.i. six cyl motor, "three on the tree" gears, but slightly smaller body. It is for my half-Thai daughter, who turns ten on Wednesday. Hope she learns to drive one day .... (not like in Thailand though) !

5 hours ago, thedemon said:

I doubt that too many tears will be shed over Chevrolet's demise in Thailand but "retiring" the Holden brand will nothing less than apostasy to some Australians.

Bogans driving Great Walls? lol.

Great Walls are currently sold into Aus and I don't think too many bogons buy them so don't see why that would change.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Thats because its a rebadged Isuzu....

regards worgeordie

The Izuzu/Chevrolet thing split a few years ago.

4 hours ago, billsmart said:

I wonder if the dealerships go, if the new owners, Great Wall, will continue to service cars and trucks like mine.

Great Wall is  buying the assembly and engine plants.... not the dealerships.

I started with American GM, then not a whole lot of choices breaking point I drove the car up to the snow country it broke down middle of the night in no where land nearly froze to death that is when I had enough of the piece of <deleted> got it fixed and put the For Sale sign up when sold I purchased a VW, Super Beetle and never look back!????

4 hours ago, Encid said:

We have a long transition in front of us and we are focused on supporting our customers and our Dealers through this change. The doors do not close tomorrow. In fact, your local Dealership remains in operation and any existing bookings and agreements remain in place.

Sure.... just watch how fast those dealerships switch brand

4 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

The Chinese are not exactly renowned for car manufacturing 

Neither are GM. How is it they got to be the world's largest manufacturer making <deleted>

• Like 1