General Motors to stop selling Chevrolet cars in Thailand

webfact

8 minutes ago, claynlr said:

Also have a Colorado for going on 4 years and never had to do anything to it but change the oil. Bought it used 1 year old with 10K kilometers for 325,000B....great value

The fact you purchased a 1 yrs old pickup with only 10k on it for 325,000 speaks volumes as to the quality of the vehicle and how they are perceived by the buying public.......... little wonder GM has sold up shop in Thailand !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, finnishmen said:

good, ALL foreigns corporation need stop make busines whit thai, and then can looking how longtime thailand can live whitout foreign, i know not longtime economy drop down lot and many million no have3 work, but thai can see how important foreigns have him economy, if not change immigration law normal human model law no busines no money no wortk many million thai.chinese money not can do anythink good, chinese make and take out more money than thailand come in at china. but western have lot more money and important all busines make lot work at thai peoples, but if immigration law not change normal human law no need busines whit thai and thai peoples no have work and money newer again.

Given the slashes Chevrolet has made to their work force over the past few years and the pathetic domestic sales I don't reckon Thailand will give to many <deleted> about GM shutting the doors.

Just now, rhodie said:

RIP Holden. A great line of cars. A pity, but you can't build cars in Australia. The government pumped billions into GM to keep the afloat, but greed killed them in the end.

Who said you can't build cars in Aus ?.... you can but you profits will only be in the tens of millions and not hundreds of millions  and that is why the Aus auto industry is dead.

3 hours ago, Vigilante said:

Didn't both Ford and GM go bankrupt back in 2009?

Generous infusions of taxpayers money kept them afloat but I think they are zombie companies.

It was GM who went bankrupt and the US government bail them out taking stock in return

several years later the government sold the stock and lost something like $39 billion

Ford motor company never went bankrupt and never needed a bailout 

Bought two cars (brand new) from them and had nothing but trouble from day 1. The dealership in Pattaya sukcs BIG time, nobody in charge and ultimately offloaded the vehicles at an extraordinary "write-off". Never again a GM vehicle in my family - forever! 

50,60 Chevy were good cars... then got less reliable. Had a 49’ truck ,65 impala. I like the HOLDEN ...

Looked at Greet Wall and Geely when I lived in China at new car shows looked ok. Low cost but didn’t seem to have long lives.

Ended up buying a used Mondeo ie Camry friend bought new $45,000 USD he kept in great condition, kept in garage low miles he lived two blocks from work. After 20 years in China he relocated 

to US. Bought it for $8k four years old. 

11 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

I rented a few Chevrolet's in Thailand - absolute rubbish cars with plastic trim falling off and very cheap quality. I have only purchased Honda and they seem to go forever and are cost efficient to maintain.

A "Chevrolet" ????????????

"Made in Thailand".

What do you expect?

Carabao did know, what he was singing about!

6 hours ago, Suitcase said:

It was GM who went bankrupt and the US government bail them out taking stock in return

several years later the government sold the stock and lost something like $39 billion

Ford didn't go bankrupt, but did ask for and receive, a gov bailout. 

https://www.thebalance.com/auto-industry-bailout-gm-ford-chrysler-3305670

I was always a GM loyalist. Bought my first one in 1973 and I've only ever owned GM products. Not any more. Their new greed over quality creed, along with shutting their Oshawa, Canada plant, after our country helped bail them out, means I will never buy another one. GM sells 2/3rds less  vehicles than they did 15 years ago. From the biggest auto maker in the world they have fallen to #4. I don't like it's prospects in the future. Here is what Scotty says about them:

• Haha 1

GM has closed down many brands and left a few countries.many have lost there job along the way.leaving Thailand  and letting the Chinese get in and build cars I think  will not work that well.japanese cars honda  and Toyota are very popular like the motorbike honda.i think it is worldwide pretty much  that Japanese car makers are the best now

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Suitcase said:

Suitcase, not just GM, but Chrysler also needed government funds to avoid bankruptcy court. Ford was solvent the entire time.

Obama did multiple victory laps for "saving"  "Government Motors". Problem of course all he was really interested in was saving that HUGE voting block called United Auto Workers Union. GM has not made a quality vehicle since.

Going through bankruptcy would have been a better path, because it would force the necessary changes to union rules. For example, it's just about impossible to fire a UAW member. So rather than invest in building quality vehicles, GM is burdened with excessive labor costs and poor quality workmanship.

The recent 40 day strike just shows how unconcerned the UAW is with the health of GM. UAW knows another bailout is ready should GM get in trouble again.

Just like a government run business, GM is doomed. Once governments get involved with the private sector, they screw it up... every time! 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Encid said:

Holden Australia has just issued an email bomb to all it's customers:

Title: IMPORTANT NOTICE: General Motors retiring Holden brand in Australia and New Zealand

In the news in Australia this morning, GM Australia has announced that all new Holden vehicles in stock must be sold off by 31 Dec 2020. Also mentioned this will include big to very massive discounts to ensure all stock gone by 31 Dec. 

13 hours ago, Don Mega said:

The fact you purchased a 1 yrs old pickup with only 10k on it for 325,000 speaks volumes as to the quality of the vehicle and how they are perceived by the buying public.......... little wonder GM has sold up shop in Thailand !!

Doesn't necessarily mean its a bad vehicle.

Spot the embarassing mistake in the article >

Like Britain, Australia and New Zealand are right-hand drive markets. With sales of GM's Australian Holden brand plummeting, the company could not justify the investment to continue building right-hand drive vehicles, GM President Mark Reuss said in Sunday's statement.

Maybe this is a reason. News item.

One of these options involve expanding the Rayong Thailand plant to add additional capacity to export Colorados to the U.S. This would allow the Shreveport, Louisiana plant to be closed (where the Colorado is also produced). This scenario is plausible only if a free-trade agreement is signed between the U.S. and Thailand, as the American tariff on imported pickup trucks from non-FTA countries is currently 25%. The United Auto Workers is the most vocal opponent to a change in the tariff structure.

17 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Personally i think it's a sad loss. Any differentiation is GOOD IMHO unless you enjoy everyone in a Silver Toyota or Honda (which seems like 75% of the population)

I don't care what other folk are driving, even their colour choice...????

Chevy and Ford have got it all wrong for decades, they should have had a closer look at what the leaders, Toyota and VW, were doing right...????

1 hour ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Maybe this is a reason. News item.

One of these options involve expanding the Rayong Thailand plant to add additional capacity to export Colorados to the U.S. This would allow the Shreveport, Louisiana plant to be closed (where the Colorado is also produced). This scenario is plausible only if a free-trade agreement is signed between the U.S. and Thailand, as the American tariff on imported pickup trucks from non-FTA countries is currently 25%. The United Auto Workers is the most vocal opponent to a change in the tariff structure.

Have you a got link to that please.