General Motors to stop selling Chevrolet cars in Thailand

webfact

On 2/17/2020 at 7:30 PM, Don Mega said:

The fact you purchased a 1 yrs old pickup with only 10k on it for 325,000 speaks volumes as to the quality of the vehicle and how they are perceived by the buying public.......... little wonder GM has sold up shop in Thailand !!

The first Chevy colorado released in Thailand was an Isuzu D-Max with a different front grill and the chevy decals. Everything else was D-Max, so apart from the front grill and decals it was the exact same quality as the Isuzu.,

A colorado, although lookin nicer with the double headlights in my opinion, would go much less than the same isuzu in second hand.

So far for the price being based on the quality.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Susco said:

The first Chevy colorado released in Thailand was an Isuzu D-Max with a different front grill and the chevy decals. Everything else was D-Max, so apart from the front grill and decals it was the exact same quality as the Isuzu.,

A colorado, although lookin nicer with the double headlights in my opinion, would go much less than the same isuzu in second hand.

So far for the price being based on the quality.

Yeah I was not talking about some 15yr old rebadge vehicle.

7 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah I was not talking about some 15yr old rebadge vehicle.

Those Colorado pickups have the D Max engine in them. One of the best engines in that class. Those are very good truck's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah, Prior to the Izuzu/GM split they did.

I just Googled it. The D-max is offered in the 2020 Chevrolet Colorado in Thailand, and in the U.S.?

https://en.chevrolet.co.th/cars/colorado/model-overview.html

They are advertised on TV here in the states. Although in the US the Turbo diesel D-max is stupid expensive. In Thailand it is pretty much standard equipment.

Edited by garyk

22 minutes ago, garyk said:

I just Googled it. The D-max is offered in the 2020 Chevrolet Colorado in Thailand, and in the U.S.?

They are advertised on TV here in the states. Although in the US the Turbo diesel D-max is stupid expensive. In Thailand it is pretty much standard equipment.

Izuzu and GM split a few years ago, the Colorado is not a D-Max.

GM have killed RHD production not LHD, Colorado is built in 2 US plants (Missouri and Louisiana).

Leave Thailand!

The land of free people.

The land of humble people.

The land of smiles...

Well, a Thai minister did tell FARANG to FXXK OFF with most Thai making it very obvious FARANG are not liked so I guess 'Som nom na' Thailand, FARANG are now FXXKING OFF.

Be happy Thai, after all it is what you want.

54 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

2.5L DURAMAX TURBO DIESEL ENGINE

At the heart of Colorado revs a 2.5L Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT) Duramax engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duramax_V8_engine

The Duramax V8 engine is a General Motors Diesel V8 engine family for trucks. The 6.6-liter Duramax is produced by DMAX, a joint venture between GM and Isuzu in Moraine, Ohio.

28 minutes ago, transam said:

So you are an insider that knows GM's future car builds in Germany...YES/NO....?

A day or 2 ago the publicly stated they are no longer building RHD vehicles................ do you know differently ?

I know what trhey Are dfoing today, same as you.... neither you nor I are privvy to their boardroom talks about the future so not sure what you are dribbling on about.

Edited by Don Mega

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

It was mentioned that GM has sold it's Rayong Plant to a well established Chinese Chinese car manufacturer.

What's not been mentioned is what job opportunities the new owners will offer to the Thai workers. 

All those workers will be made redundant by Chevrolet and as Great wall wil take some time to tool up and get the plant back online nothing much at all would be offered to any ex employee in the short term.

21 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

All those workers will be made redundant by Chevrolet and as Great wall wil take some time to tool up and get the plant back online nothing much at all would be offered to any ex employee in the short term.

Good logical point however they will surely get production started as quickly as possible, like any business they want revenue.

So perhaps when they are ready to start production and need staff they will favor the guys who have worked there previously and therefore experienced.

We wait and see.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

The wife has just informed me that the Chevy vehicles are going to be sold off at half price.

Can anyone confirm this. 

Might have to change my opinion about US vehicles.

Going to a dealership today to get a part for my 6k service,will let you know but very much doubt it ,my optra is a fantastic little car , for 13 yrs now been saying i will buy a new car but never do its so good .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Good logical point however they will surely get production started as quickly as possible, like any business they want revenue.

So perhaps when they are ready to start production and need staff they will favor the guys who have worked there previously and therefore experienced.

We wait and see.

Existing experienced staff will need to be trained to the new processes.

By law GM will have to lat them off and pay redundancies... it will be up to GW if they decide to re-employ.... Maybe they will do a deal with the Thai gumbyment and fill the place with Chinese workers.

Edited by Don Mega

11 hours ago, garyk said:

I just filled up here in San Antonio. 1.80/gal. and dropping like a rock. The big v-8's are making a huge come back here.

Buy a turbo V-6 cheaper to run! cheap gas wont last! - never does, cyclical, its at the bottom now, only way is up!

50 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

So you are an insider then.....????

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

GM have killed RHD production not LHD, Colorado is built in 2 US plants (Missouri and Louisiana).

It is using the D-max diesel motor from Isuzu? That is what I am saying. 

Do the DuroMax diesel is not the Isuzu diesel?

Edited by garyk

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Chevy uses Chevy Duramax engine in the Colorado....

I thought the Duramax was the Isuzu engine?  

I guess I am wrong then. Sorry about that.

7 minutes ago, garyk said:

I thought the Duramax was the Isuzu engine?  

I guess I am wrong then. Sorry about that.

The duramax is a GM engine but GM Thailand has sold the engine plant as well so they are either going to fit a new engine to the Colorado or relocate the  engine manufacturing to either to Brazil or the USA.

Edited by Don Mega

Just now, Don Mega said:

The duramax is a GM engine but GM Thailand has sold the engine plant as well so they are either going to fit a new engine to the Colorado or relocate the  engine manufacturing to either to Brazil or the USA.

You are right, I just looked into it again. I was wrong.

Thanks