Window Tinting

ftpjtm

We are buying a new Chevy Captiva and of course the dealer wants to tint the windows. I said I don't want it, we do quite well without window tinting on our cars in the US, even in hot climates like Florida where we spend a fair amount of time. Our current Thailand car has relatively light tinting which hinders night vision when I'm driving, and I've rented some cars with tinting so dark I thought the headlights were defective until realizing that it's the excessively dark tint. 

The wife's friends are in shock, telling her all cars in Thailand MUST have tinting or unspecified horrors will occur, which I suspect have to do with skin tone.

My questions;

1) Does anyone on the forum drive a car with no tint in Thailand? Or would we be the only ones in the country per the wife and friends.

2) Does anyone know if cars in the US/Europe have more tint when delivered than what comes from the manufacturers in Thailand (as claimed by some when I tell them that we drive in Florida with no window tint).

3) Now that she will have her own car, I would like to remove the tint from the old car which will be mine. Is that possible? Is it easily removed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

According to the dealership, 40% is the lightest tinting. So that's already above what is technically legal?

If 30% is the legal limit, is that what is delivered from the manufacturer?

Edited by ftpjtm
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Having been required to have tint after an attack in the Philippines in 1986 made it prudent to hid agree totally that it is an extreme danger at night and not at all required during the day (removed when next lived in South Florida for 3 years).  In my case removal was complicated by rear window defogger also being removed but other than that no issues.  

You feel more secure with pedestrians not knowing you are a farang? Hadn't given that any thought.

My car also has a rear defogger which I would want to keep intact. I know that some renew their tinting at shops that specialize in that. Presumably they remove the old stuff first and could do it without harming the defogger?

13 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

You feel more secure with pedestrians not knowing you are a farang? Hadn't given that any thought.

The issue was coordinated attack at set time on those believe to be Americans on various roads at Angeles City/Clark.  The one who escaped was driving a Porsche who outran the fire (although hit several times) but we could not convince those in power to provide.  

Mine was professionally removed so not sure if damage would still be done or not - was able to buy a generic version that worked OK for my trips up North.

Edit:  Got my year wrong - was 1987 rather than 1986.

Oct 29, 1987 - Unidentified gunmen on Wednesday shot and killed three Americans, two of them active-duty military personnel and the third a retired Air Force officer, in separate ambushes all within a mile of America's sprawling Clark Air Base north of Manila.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-10-29-mn-17388-story.html

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

According to the dealership, 40% is the lightest tinting. So that's already above what is technically legal?

The dealer is being dumb then... there are lots of companies which do varying levels of tint from 10% to about 60% (block visible light). 

Some companies quote 70% as the amount of visible light that can pass through. 

While other companies quote 30% for exactly the same level of tint which, blocks 30% light. 

Thus the dealer quoting 40% tint may actually mean that the max tint allows just 40% of visible light transmission, quite a dangerous tint if so. 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The dealer is being dumb then... there are lots of companies which do varying levels of tint from 10% to about 60% (block visible light). 

Some companies quote 70% as the amount of visible light that can pass through. 

While other companies quote 30% for exactly the same level of tint which, blocks 30% light. 

Thus the dealer quoting 40% tint may actually mean that the max tint allows just 40% of visible light transmission, quite a dangerous tint if so. 

I am totally confused as to the % numbers being quoted as well, from what I have read Thai's tend to reverse what is commonly used in the rest of the world. I'm not sure if they are quoting in the international standard, or the Thai system. 

Edited by ftpjtm

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are also various qualities and types... some which block more UV and minimise heat transmission into the vehicle (i.e. 3M crystal series). 

Usually your dealer will have a selection of ‘tints’ in a booklet which you can look at. 

If you have negotiated ‘tint’ as an extra but the dealer is unable to provide you with a selection of ‘tints’ to chose from in a booklet or folder, then re-negotiate without the tint, you can then take your car to a company which does tints after picking it up and select a tint of your choice.

3M crystalline example below: 

Screenshot 2020-02-17 at 15.44.16.png

My idea was to take the car without the tint and see what it's like, and if it was decided to be absolutely necessary have a shop to it after the fact, so I ignored the book. 

But the whole deal is off now anyways, since Chevrolet announced they are leaving Thailand I'm not buying the car. Next trip to whatever alternate dealer I'll pay more attention.

• Thanks 1

Firstly I used to work in a car window tint company in Australia. Legal limit there is 35% and Meaning it lets 35% of light through. No front windscreens allowed.

Never buy window tint from the dealer as it is marked up excessively. 

They outsource it usually to another company in Australia.

To remove old window tint you steam it off.  We also used an ammonia based solution to remove the remnant glues. The rear window demister need to be treated carefully as the bars may come off. So steam and peel slowly works well.

A good tint film will be 3M in Thailand or Solargard or Luminar. Cheap ones fade and bubble and change colour quickly. Generally we give a lifetime guarantee in Aust. but it is only for purchaser. Cars are usually flipped in 5 years and the tint usually lasts 10 years.

Find out more by checking tint manufacturer websites. https://www.solargard.com/

Does have benefits. https://www.solargard.com/tint-laws/ shows no windscreen below AS1 line of top 5 inches of screen.

Regarding UV light Glass already removes UV light. Especially front screens according to this link.

Window film removes UVA and glass removes UVB. https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q12082.html

Cant get sunburnt through glass.

The reason for the 35% limit is safety at night. Window tint cools your car. Put 35% all round the side and rear and you should be fine. You can go darker in the back. I had a station wagon and had 5% rear so no could see in there and 20% on the rear sides. In Thailand those front windscreen and dark tints are a danger in unlit areas as night.

One good thing about window tints is that if the window breaks the film protects you from broken shattered glass.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by gregk0543
more info
  • Thanks 2

GM will no longer sell Chevys in Thailand.

But a Chinese company will. GM has merely sold off the Thai division.  While I wouldn’t buy a Chinese/Thai-made car, current stock is US/Thai-made.

Window tint is easily removed with ammonia and water. This will not harm your defogger, unlike petrochemical solvents. 

Ammonia is hard to find here. Windex is a decent substitute as it contains ammonia. 

1 minute ago, midzo said:

But a Chinese company will. GM has merely sold off the Thai division.  While I wouldn’t buy a Chinese/Thai-made car, current stock is US/Thai-made.

Which Chinese company will be selling Chevy's in Thailand ?

Sharing experience on both versions.

Having put the window tint on all except the front screen on my Fortuner from new and then six months later popping the rear screen and not bothering to have the film replaced. I've been driving that happily for 15 years, day or night, underground parking, no problems, but sometimes requiring to wear sunglasses during the day. 

Having put no tint on E-class when new and driving it happily since first day, almost 14 years later I decided to get the tint done on all windows, oh joy upon joy what a difference when driving during the day including the coolness inside the car, but I seldom will use it after dark as it's just too difficult to see.

I think it's something like 30 + 50 and I only eventually went for the tint after all those years because I was traveling in a friend's car that was pitch dark from the outside, but like daylight inside and out journey went on into the night-time, so asked him for the brand (AA) and I went with that. But his car windows were double glazed so that perhaps also contributed to the coolness inside during the heat of the day.

16 minutes ago, midzo said:

Window tint is easily removed with ammonia and water. This will not harm your defogger, unlike petrochemical solvents. 

Ammonia is hard to find here. Windex is a decent substitute as it contains ammonia. 

I think you will find GM sold the factory, not the brand. Great wall has purchased the factory to make great wall trucks not Chevy trunks in partnership / under license.

• Like 1

The OP now has plenty of time to research various window films.  I recommend 3M films.  Concentrate on UV protection...helps with your eyes.... and lowers deterioration of fabrics and leather, and infrared heat transmission  blocking.  Consider 30% light transmission block for side windows and 20% for windshield and rear window.  UV and Infrared blocking should be very significantly higher.  We used the privacy 3M film and it is excellent.

Edited by Tracyb

The tinting of glass is unsafe. This has been mentioned many times before. To add to this discussion, it is also unsafe for following traffic. The third brake light in the rear window was installed for a reason. Continuously driving behind a black wall without seeing through the windows of the car in front of you is also unsafe. Keeping a safe distance is not an option here in Thailand, cars will just pass you and skip into the space in front of you. In short, everything that has anything to do with road safety here is practically nonexistent. Sad, but true!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I consider ‘sun protection’ as necessary. There are modern tints which prevent the penetration of UV rays whilst still permitting normal levels of light through. 

I believe 30% is the legal limit in Thailand (i.e. blocking no more than 30% of visible light). 

I’ve been in vehicles where the tint is so dark driving at night becomes difficult / dangerous. I’ve never had greater than 30% tint and I choose tints which block the most UV whilst transmitting the most light. 

Cars in Europe cannot have tint on the Windscreen or front side windows. 

Cars in Thailand have a general <30% restriction - a law which is never followed up on by the Police BTW.

It is correct that cars in Europe, or at least in Switzerland, cannot have tint on the windscreen or front side windows. From my own experience, however, I do know that at least Audo A6 models (and probably many more) do have the option of a heat absorbing wind shield (although not tinted). The other windows, apparently same as in Thailand, are restricted not to block more than 30 % of visible light).

21 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Do yourself a favor, forget what's legal here.

I have 40% on the front, it's an American film and I still feel the skin on my left arm burning if it is just laying there in summer, the other windows have 60%, it's a bronze type film, you can still see in and out, although night driving in the country can be a little difficult as there are few streets lights, but in built up areas your ok.

The above said, I had the dealer put on tint which was supposed to be M3 40% if you could believe it, 3,000 baht and we were cooking in the car, the American film I had put in which is UV protective keeps the car cool inside, 8,000 baht installed, HUGE difference.

I also had day surgery under a plastic surgeon carried out on a mole on my right upper cheek just below the bone under the eye, basal carcinoma, if you don't want tint, then don't get it, but if your going to be living here, and driving, then your only other option is to put on sunblock day in, day out. 

You know Chevy will not be selling autos in Thailand next year.  It sold its property here to a Chinese company.

I don't know what if any service you will be getting from Chevrolet in the future.

That said.  40front/60sides is the legal limit.  Me personally the highest I would do is 60% all around.  I have a vehicle that, at my wife's insistence, is 60/80.  In the daytime it is great.  But at night the side windows are too dark.  It does not make me feel safe driving at night.  I sometimes have to roll the windows down to see better.

In the UK. If your vehicle has got tinted vehicle windows, the front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows 70%. There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows. The UK Police used to use a device called Tintman to measure tinted windows plus your vehicle would fail a Ministry test. I would not add any extra tint on a windscreen

Edited by Asquith Production
add text