Window Tinting

ftpjtm

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its amazing how experiences, encounters and opinions vary from person to person and area to area in Thailand. 

I have a low tint on my car, one of there reasons is so that others can see a foreigner driving - I have always had the impression that we are treated with greater deference by the BiB who prefer not to have dealings with us than the other way round. I generally cruse through police stops & checkpoints etc (when driving) without so much as a further glance. 

I suspect the real reason is that we are treated with a general indifference, they don’t care if we are foreign or Thai - if we have made a minor traffic infraction they want small pay out - it doesn’t matter who we are or what nationality. 

I tend to subscribe to this BiB theory. The only time I was ever stopped without the Thai wife in the car'

1) I deserved to be stopped (ran a red light and wound up blocking the intersection), and'

2) The BiB spoke English.

I've driven through countless other stops in our current car, which has no tint on the windshield, and have never been stopped. I theorize because the non English speakers don't want to attempt to communicate with me.

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find GM sold the factory, not the brand. Great wall has purchased the factory to make great wall trucks not Chevy trunks in partnership / under license.

The factory is under negotiation to sell. The brand has announced that they are exiting all right hand drive countries.

Never do that ,its not done correct , cause there are only Farmers in the Workshops !

Engeneers built your Windows for safety !

To take that <deleted> off .... Ugly Work !

I drive with untinted Windows over 12 Years through Thailand .

Im a Master of Bodywork and Carmaking .........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Plus I do not give into this whole the sun is going to kill me vampire life style.  I know people that can't have a normal life because when and where to go outside is controlled by the sun.

Lol! I totally agree and have to start using the term "vampire life style" ????

3 hours ago, transam said:

As for heat, if your A/C is working it is not an issue, even my weeee Suzuki gets cold in no time...????.

Unfortunately for me, the worst part of my car is the Aircon and having mentioned it to Honda several times, they still say that it is ok. I'm looking at getting new tints as driving with my current 3m FX tints feels like there is no heat protection at all. Crystalline is too expensive so I was thinking of the ceramic to help make my car cooler during the day.

11 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Unfortunately for me, the worst part of my car is the Aircon and having mentioned it to Honda several times, they still say that it is ok. I'm looking at getting new tints as driving with my current 3m FX tints feels like there is no heat protection at all. Crystalline is too expensive so I was thinking of the ceramic to help make my car cooler during the day.

Take it to an A/C shop for a check..

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

Next time you drive 10 - 15 Kms, stick a themometer inside the AC outlet and check the temperature.

20891232_faa_59590_pri_larg.jpg

Edited by ravip
Add pic

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

For what do you use her please?

If I had one, I would use her for the very obvious purpose, with pleasure! ????

8 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Don't do it. It is dangerous.  I use my sister-in-law sometimes and at night time I can't not see out the windows . I have to roll the windows down just to see if a motorcycle or truck with <deleted>ty lights are coming at me  at intersections. Plus I do not give into this whole the sun is going to kill me vampire life style.  I know people that can't have a normal life because when and where to go outside is controlled by the sun.

This is the post that uses the s-i-l and pray tell me how you assigned it to me! ????

When I ordered my new Triton Pick-Up I told them, that I do not want any tint. The original glass is already very slightly tinted. When I received my new car, of course there was tint all around. I did not like it at all. At night the sight is very much disturbed.

So first I removed the tint foil on the rear window. This was very easy, just peel back a litte piece of the foil and then very slowly pull the foil away. There was no problem at all with the defogging wires. About 2 weeks later I also removed the windshield tint foil in the same manner. It came off very well without leaving any residue. I did not even have to clean the glass from the inside.

The tint on the side windows I have left on. But at night I lower the side windows in the front because the tint is obstructing the view in the dark quite badly. To protect against UV rays you do not need any tint on the windshield because it is made of laminated glass which has a UV absorbing plastic foil in between already.

Now with the tint on the front gone, I see much better at night and am very happy with it.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the useful comments. 

After heated negotiations between the wife + friends/relatives vs myself, we settled on no tint on the windshield and driver & passenger side windows,  but 40 (supposedly the lightest as it appears they use the reverse of the international system) on all rear windows. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

but 40 (supposedly the lightest as it appears they use the reverse of the international system) on all rear windows. 

Unless you have rear camera strongly advise against film on read window as almost impossible to back out at night.

On 2/18/2020 at 1:57 PM, tlandtday said:

The level of tinting here like so many things else is not enforced and has become very dangerous.  In most civilized countries windshield tinting is not allowed but not so in Thailand.  Absolutely irresponsible for anyone with any decency to be running heavy tinting inside their vehicle.  A huge danger at night.

According to Mitsubishi head offices in Bangkok and Japan there is no law in Thailand governing windscreen tint levels . I contacted them because my lady bought a new car whilst I was in the UK . The first time I drove it at night I could only drive at 60 kph maximum in unlit areas . Complained to dealer that the lights were defective but then found out that a 60 grade tint was fitted at the advice of the car saleslady . Dealer refused to remove it so I had it done elsewhere and  replaced it with a 40 tint as that is the lowest grade available .

Result is the same , night vision especially in unlit areas is dangerous .  Have to say that if you have led headlights as opposed to halogen there is no problem as shown to me by a friend who had the Rivo Rocco with tinted screen and night vision was perfect . I have just received from Lazada my pair of led headlight bulbs that I hope to fit today which should mitigate the tint problem   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, superal said:

According to Mitsubishi head offices in Bangkok and Japan there is no law in Thailand governing windscreen tint levels . I contacted them because my lady bought a new car whilst I was in the UK . The first time I drove it at night I could only drive at 60 kph maximum in unlit areas . Complained to dealer that the lights were defective but then found out that a 60 grade tint was fitted at the advice of the car saleslady . Dealer refused to remove it so I had it done elsewhere and  replaced it with a 40 tint as that is the lowest grade available .

Result is the same , night vision especially in unlit areas is dangerous .  Have to say that if you have led headlights as opposed to halogen there is no problem as shown to me by a friend who had the Rivo Rocco with tinted screen and night vision was perfect . I have just received from Lazada my pair of led headlight bulbs that I hope to fit today which should mitigate the tint problem   

Front screen already has a UV block inside the front screen..If light bothers you then put tint on the top of the screen, just above eye level..

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-car-windshields-are-treated-for-UV-protection

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, superal said:

BTW , I should have added that I would prefer no tint but my lady says that the tint is for her security as she cannot be seen when driving by unscrupulous drivers .

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, superal said:

BTW , I should have added that I would prefer no tint but my lady says that the tint is for her security as she cannot be seen when driving by unscrupulous drivers .

She could wear an Arnie mask...........????

arnie.jpg.ab7e8a3f7c46cb7500115e98b39de8b3.jpg

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Unless you have rear camera strongly advise against film on read window as almost impossible to back out at night.

Have the camera plus non tinted views of the side view mirrors (unlike our current car) so it will at least be better than what I'm used to. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 9:36 AM, transam said:

Front screen already has a UV block inside the front screen..If light bothers you then put tint on the top of the screen, just above eye level..

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-car-windshields-are-treated-for-UV-protection

New led headlight bulbs now fitted and just 1200  baht for the pair   , night driving no longer a problem

• Haha 1

Wrap around blackened windows allows for:

(a) CAR ???? BAR to always remain open when driving (if pulled over at a roadblock,  simply hide your stubbie)

(b) cooler interior 

(c) road cameras cannot show occupants in car (GF not visible if wife opens the envelope containing photo)

(d) Forgot to put on your seatbelt and you see a cop? No problems. Cop can’t see <deleted> inside, so just buckle up before winding down window... and remember to hide that stubbie!

20 hours ago, Nemises said:

Wrap around blackened windows allows for:

(a) CAR ???? BAR to always remain open when driving (if pulled over at a roadblock,  simply hide your stubbie)

(b) cooler interior 

(c) road cameras cannot show occupants in car (GF not visible if wife opens the envelope containing photo)

(d) Forgot to put on your seatbelt and you see a cop? No problems. Cop can’t see <deleted> inside, so just buckle up before winding down window... and remember to hide that stubbie!

(e) Crash...

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2020 at 5:21 PM, Grusa said:

I have been driving my 12yo Vigo truck from new, with no tint and no discomfort. I have also driven borrowed and hired vehicles with tints from slight to ridiculously dark. The latter are lethal at night or in poor light such as tunnels and parking buildings.

The quality and standard of application of the film also matters: some are of poor optical quality and full of waves and streaks. Very easy to ruin by cleaning.

I also ride a motorbike, and I have two helmets - one with a tinted visor for daytime and one with a clear visor for night. 

As a retired professional in the field, I should tell you that if you NEED a tint, you should a prescribed one, in your glasses, not in the windscreen! Anemia no matter what anyone may tell you, you never need and should not wear or use any tint at nightmare especially so-called "night driving " tints. They are a massive con and very dangerous.

Image result for bono glasses thumbs up 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, marentspears said:

Don't worry. You're not alone! I've heard of people driving without window tints in Thailand, and they're doing just fine. So, don't stress over what your wife's friends are saying.

Ive been sitting here patiently for 2 years for someone to add to this thread.

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2023 at 12:02 PM, marentspears said:

Don't worry. You're not alone! I've heard of people driving without window tints in Thailand, and they're doing just fine. So, don't stress over what your wife's friends are saying.

If you're looking to remove the tint from your old car, it's definitely doable. You can either DIY or get a professional to do it for you. Just make sure you're following the proper steps and not damaging the windows in the process.
If you're looking for in-car sun protection, consider getting a baby car shade. It's super effective and easy to use. Just pop it up on your rear window, and voila! Best in-car sun protection, sorted!

6 hours ago, marentspears said:

If you're looking to remove the tint from your old car, it's definitely doable. You can either DIY or get a professional to do it for you. Just make sure you're following the proper steps and not damaging the windows in the process.
If you're looking for in-car sun protection, consider getting a baby car shade. It's super effective and easy to use. Just pop it up on your rear window, and voila! Best in-car sun protection, sorted!

It was 35 years ago but recall removal in PI also removed enough defroster strips in rear window to make unusable.  Would not have been an issue if remaining in PI but car was was being sent to USA.

• Thanks 1