Taking your bike over land borders, how did it go?

Deserted

I've done in Laos many-a-time but never PoiPet Cambodia, has anyone taken their bike over that crossing? How was it? Aggrovaraion? Easy, monay to pay> I want to to go to Phnom Penh but that's a bit far, train or bus to Battambang would be fine.

Road surface okay? Any hidden dangers?

I think that there is no car and bike  insurance in Cambodia;
from what I read, the traffic is still sparse compared to the major Thai axes;
on the other hand, roads often in poor condition damaged by the thousands of Chinese trucks that drive there ... since Cambodia has almost become a Chinese province.

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I think that there is no car and bike  insurance in Cambodia;
from what I read, the traffic is still sparse compared to the major Thai axes;
on the other hand, roads often in poor condition damaged by the thousands of Chinese trucks that drive there ... since Cambodia has almost become a Chinese province.

So you mean bicycle is okay but not anything bigger

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I rode to Phnom Penh around May 2019. From BKK took bus to a stop near Amata (nth of Chonburi). Then rode Phanat Nikhom (night 1), Ban Nong Dok (road 3259 - night 2), Pakplern resort (cnr of Hwy 317 - night 3, some roadworks heading south on 317, so I got off that onto 3049? before long), cheap 24h place a bit north of the border crossing (night 4).

Crossed into Cambodia at Banpuggard / Phsar Prum (no problems at all with the bike, I think I was charged about US$30, maybe US$5 'extra'). Krong Pailin (night 5).

Battambang (night 6). 

I found traffic from the border to Battambang to be reasonably quiet & hence the road was quite OK (on touring bike, not road bike tires). 

From Battambang to Phnom Penh, there were some fairly long sections where the road is under construction (very rough in places & mininimal if any shoulder) & there was quite a bit more traffic. 

I got there (I think 3 night stops on the way), but really could not recommend it. 

Perhaps you could take a train or bus from Battambang to PP. 

Also crossed into Vietnam (at Bavet), back to Cambodia (on hwy 74 to Snoul), to Laos (at Tropaeng Kreal),  & back to Thailand (at Chong Mek). No problems at any of the borders (I had prearranged a Laos visa in HCMC). I expect I paid a few dubious fees at a couple of places, but not much more than maybe US$5.

Cheers & safe riding - may the wind be at your back :-).