Work permit advise needed

Dear all, 

My friend(falang) is holding a work permit with his own company. Lately the cost of doing business in Thailand is ever increasing and he is thinking to close his business and work for my company. Since I engaged his service on a monthly basis and I think why not. He's a machinery electrician (the best so far I could find here).  

My question is, his own work permit expired around 6th March and are we allowed to start applying his new work permit from my company now? Must we wait till his work permit expired before applying? Because the first 2 weeks of March nobody is free to run to labor office.

TIA

You can start applying early, but when you want to issue him work permit in your company name, the cancellation of the old one will be needed. It usually takes some time to get approvals, etc. Do also check what kind of visa he has, I think they added a rule a year back that required leaving the country before getting new work permit - previously you could jump from one work permit to another without leaving. I have company lawyer do my extensions now and haven't changed company in years so I don't know what current procedure is, but worth to ask about it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, timberpond said:

Must we wait till his work permit expired before applying? Because the first 2 weeks of March nobody is free to run to labor office.

The new work permit can be applied for but it will not be issued until the existing one is canceled. 

His extension of stay based upon working for his own company will have to be canceled and at the same time a new one applied for by your company. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 6:53 AM, baansgr said:

Wasn't there a change last year where one WP was adequate for any number of positions in any province??? Although if he is closing his company how that would work not sure.

That would only work if different branch of the same company and the company registered the position with the labour office in the new area if different province.

Edited by overherebc