IMPORTANT DOCS ETC

Hiya all...

Just wondered if any of you experienced expats could advise me on all the important documents I would need to take with me for my trip to Thailand..

I am an English citizen.. wanting to go for a long holiday perhaps 2 or 3 months maybe more if possible, providing all is good.... 

Ive got a uk license and a uk passport.. I already have got my IDP going to be getting a multi entry visa..

Is there any thing else that would be very important for my trip that I need to take into consideration?????

Thanks in Advance and kind Regards...

Really required is only passport and cash.

But i would advise to take a credit card, and maybe a backup credit card.

If you plan to drive the driving license + IDP, as you already mentioned.

Not really required, but in case you end up in hospital it could be helpful: Health insurance contact information and policy.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Really required is only passport and cash.

But i would advise to take a credit card, and maybe a backup credit card.

If you plan to drive the driving license + IDP, as you already mentioned.

Not really required, but in case you end up in hospital it could be helpful: Health insurance contact information and policy.

Thanks for the quick reply...

What could be helpful for the health insurance the credit card or the IDP?

Thanks 

Cash, in your bag on entry, 20000THB or Eqiv. (£510) In nice new undamaged Bank of England notes. They dont normally ask but you should have it to show if they do...no ATMs before Immigration.

Keep your boarding pass, from the flight you have disembarked from at BKK. (asked for that 3 trips ago).

Edited by UKresonant
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, OJAS said:

If you have UK debit and/or credit cards which you are planning to use during your stay in Thailand, please make sure that your bank is informed accordingly in advance - otherwise you might find them blocked.

Usually good advice, but Halifax for example (possibly one of the most popular UK banks for an overseas travel card) now don't want to know.

https://www.halifax.co.uk/travel/help-guidance/

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, treetops said:

Usually good advice, but Halifax for example (possibly one of the most popular UK banks for an overseas travel card) now don't want to know.

https://www.halifax.co.uk/travel/help-guidance/

Interesting! I wonder how their fraud and security systems would be able successfully to differentiate between suspicious and non-suspicious activity undertaken in Thailand. Not that they would ever be likely to tell us, of course!

If you are planning your trip to be on the cultural side i.e. Temples, Reclining Buddha's etc. the are hundreds of websites with all the information your need.  If however you to try the wilder side of life, you can do no better than read "Private Dancer" by Stephen Leather.  It's a legendary "must read" to be read before you get there.  Also if you've not been before, it might be as well to read up on what to do and what not to do in order to avoid situations where an innocent action (to a westerner) can be seen as an insult in Thai culture.  Many websites on the subject.  Have a good holiday.  I did the same about 18 years ago and stayed ever since.  

• Thanks 1

does "perhaps 2 or 3 months maybe more if possible" mean you might be looking for employment sometime in the future?

in that case, look into what would potentially be needed in regards to certified or authenticated diplomas and transcripts.

• Thanks 1

Is your mobile sim free/ unlocked?

If it is you can pick up up a SIM card, on floor two of BKK /Survarnabumi, just as you exit customs. ( you can pre order a sim online with a 15 day internet package, I’ve done it with DTAC, after you spend more than 200THB, after the initial package, you can enter a code and keep the credit valid for a year, if you will be back again)

I keep a UK sim and a Thai sim in the phone always!

You can keep all your document copies in the cloud (as suggested above) which is much cheaper using a local sim data package (they have on request, 24 hour internet Packages, which don’t repeat/ refresh for about 30baht /£0.75)

If you don't have a Thai bank account, using your UK bank card in a Thai ATM can incur brutal charges. There's a 220 baht charge at the ATM, your bank will almost certainly charge you a foreign transaction charge, and the rate might be less than favourable - will probably cost you around £20 per transaction. To avoid this I used to carry a few thousand pounds with me and keep it safe, either well hidden in a secret part of my bag or kept in the safe, then change it up as you go as the exchange rates here are at least 15% better than in the UK. Or look at other options such as cards with no foreign ATM fee for example. Also, keep your credit card and debit card separate - so that if your wallet goes missing you still have access to cash. Notes need to be in mint condition, plus you get a small bit extra if changing £50 notes.

To make sure there's no funny business at the airport, make sure you have 20k baht or equivalent (take £550 just to be sure), have a printout of your hotel booking, and your return ticket (if you have one, if you don't, buy a cheap refundable ticket to show at immigration then refund it once you get settled in, although that might be overkill.).

If you take out travel insurance, make sure you have all the documentation and contact numbers with you. Consider writing the key details on a piece of cardboard and keep it in your wallet with your cards. Also make a colour copy of your passport and keep it safe. Thai copy shops can shrink the information page to a credit card-sized laminated card which you can carry in your wallet which is a good idea.

Also, if you have any emergency contact phone numbers make sure you have these written down somewhere in case your phone gets lost, unless of course you can remember them.

If you are considering looking for employment either in Thailand or a neighbouring country, then you're gonna need your birth certificate, degree certificate and transcript, and maybe details of a reference.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

If you don't have a Thai bank account, using your UK bank card in a Thai ATM can incur brutal charges. There's a 220 baht charge at the ATM, your bank will almost certainly charge you a foreign transaction charge, and the rate might be less than favourable - will probably cost you around £20 per transaction. To avoid this I used to carry a few thousand pounds with me and keep it safe, either well hidden in a secret part of my bag or kept in the safe, then change it up as you go as the exchange rates here are at least 15% better than in the UK. Or look at other options such as cards with no foreign ATM fee for example. Also, keep your credit card and debit card separate - so that if your wallet goes missing you still have access to cash. Notes need to be in mint condition, plus you get a small bit extra if changing £50 notes.

To make sure there's no funny business at the airport, make sure you have 20k baht or equivalent (take £550 just to be sure), have a printout of your hotel booking, and your return ticket (if you have one, if you don't, buy a cheap refundable ticket to show at immigration then refund it once you get settled in, although that might be overkill.).

If you take out travel insurance, make sure you have all the documentation and contact numbers with you. Consider writing the key details on a piece of cardboard and keep it in your wallet with your cards. Also make a colour copy of your passport and keep it safe. Thai copy shops can shrink the information page to a credit card-sized laminated card which you can carry in your wallet which is a good idea.

Also, if you have any emergency contact phone numbers make sure you have these written down somewhere in case your phone gets lost, unless of course you can remember them.

If you are considering looking for employment either in Thailand or a neighbouring country, then you're gonna need your birth certificate, degree certificate and transcript, and maybe details of a reference.

Hiya mate that was the best piece of advise ever thank you so much for your time and consideration... 

that is very helpful 

Kind Reagrds

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UKresonant said:

Is your mobile sim free/ unlocked?

If it is you can pick up up a SIM card, on floor two of BKK /Survarnabumi, just as you exit customs. ( you can pre order a sim online with a 15 day internet package, I’ve done it with DTAC, after you spend more than 200THB, after the initial package, you can enter a code and keep the credit valid for a year, if you will be back again)

I keep a UK sim and a Thai sim in the phone always!

You can keep all your document copies in the cloud (as suggested above) which is much cheaper using a local sim data package (they have on request, 24 hour internet Packages, which don’t repeat/ refresh for about 30baht /£0.75)

usefull info..

Thank you. 

Also I forgot to add:

If you bring pounds sterling with you, which is probably the best advice, when you arrive at Suvarnabhumi airport, you can actually get very good exchange rates. Ignore all the booths in the arrivals lounge and baggage collection and go right down to the basement, follow the signs for the airport rail link to Phaya Thai station. In the basement you will find loads of exchange booths, but they offer much, much better rates than the ones in arrivals. Super Rich and K-Bank always seem to give great rates. I think the rates in the basement of the airport are the same as in central Bangkok.

Then once you've exchanged your cash you can get the rail link into the city for 45 baht - a major bargain compared to the taxis, plus you don't get stuck in traffic.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

In addition to the card from yor bank, you should consider geting a Transferwise and Revolut debit cards, with these you get very good conversion rates, they're also excellent for emergency funds transfer.

I'd also check with your embassy about the process of getting an emergency travel document in case you lose your passport (hey, 2-3 months is a long time, a lot can happen! ????), if they require your birth certificate, at least leave it with somebody who could mail it to you.

And think about stuff that could go wrong. A smartphone with internet, maps and GPS is an invaluable tool IMHO, but what happens if you "lose it" alog with your passport? Getting a new SIM in Bangkok without an ID is at the very least difficult (I gave up after being refused in 3 shops). What if you lose your home SIM, how will you access your bank account and any other user account with 2FA that sends a code in SMS...

5 hours ago, SteveK said:

Also I forgot to add:

If you bring pounds sterling with you, which is probably the best advice, when you arrive at Suvarnabhumi airport, you can actually get very good exchange rates. Ignore all the booths in the arrivals lounge and baggage collection and go right down to the basement, follow the signs for the airport rail link to Phaya Thai station. In the basement you will find loads of exchange booths, but they offer much, much better rates than the ones in arrivals. Super Rich and K-Bank always seem to give great rates. I think the rates in the basement of the airport are the same as in central Bangkok.

Then once you've exchanged your cash you can get the rail link into the city for 45 baht - a major bargain compared to the taxis, plus you don't get stuck in traffic.

sweet mate thanks for the advise.. sounds like you have been there and donr this many times to know as much as you do... have you been on holiday there a lot or are you living there my friend?

On 2/17/2020 at 9:17 PM, OJAS said:

Interesting! I wonder how their fraud and security systems would be able successfully to differentiate between suspicious and non-suspicious activity undertaken in Thailand. Not that they would ever be likely to tell us, of course!

I have had problems when I advised my US banks I was traveling.  Had no problem while in Thailand, but when I got back in the states after two months away, my credit card was nulled, my ATM debit card denied, etc.  And it took several attempts to get things straightened out and a new credit card mailed to me.  And the bank's "system" kept repeating blocks and declines. 

Unrelated directly to this, nowadays, every now and then my credit card gets temporarily suspended when I make a purchase at a very odd hour, or some type of business they don't recognize, or maybe the company uses some third party billing agency that has an out of USA address, etc.  So I get a text message on my phone, simply send back a Yes and in a few seconds things are usable again.  My point is, the credit card's fraud system contacts me by my cell phone. So keep that in mind and keep your home country cell phone with you working.  Many agencies use that two method verification for many things, even some websites you may log on to while over there. maybe checking on your bank balance, even your routine email sometimes asks for verification when logging on from not your normal location

definitely make a good color copy of your passport ID page.  Print that out and keep it on you at all times.  Many threads discussing need or requirement to have one's passport on at all times.  Highly do not recommend that, but do have that color page record on you at all times.  If stopped, you should have little problem convincing the cops you can produce your actual passport, decline all bribe suggestions, etc.  They will not want to be bothered going back to your hotel to check unless you were really out of line doing something.  Just a suggestion to minimize any shakedown attempts.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ma Noi said:

sweet mate thanks for the advise.. sounds like you have been there and donr this many times to know as much as you do... have you been on holiday there a lot or are you living there my friend?

Yes.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

Photograph all your important documents, passport ( face page ) your visa ,landing card, stamp in at airport and keep on your phone.

PS

Always do a quick check you have been stamped in for the correct number of days, 

IO's can sometimes make a mistake.

I have all my military service records, transcripts, diplomas, driver license, birth certificate, etc.  I put them in a pdf with a password on the documents to keep the routine hacker out of them.  This way if I ever lose my hand held passport or wallet gets stolen or whatever, it will be relatively easy for me to go to the embassy and get my emergency travel documents.  If nothing else, it is a fun exercise to round up all of one's records.  Maybe you have a desire to apply to some place, or whatever.  One never knows when the need for the information might crop up.  You would not be the first person to travel and decide to never go back!  I rounded everything up historical wise when I was applying for a teaching job.  Was fun to look over the college transcripts, high school diploma, find the DD-214s for my USAF time, had to get a replacement official birth certificate as the original I had with me for 40 years was really tattered and torn, etc.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2020 at 10:45 PM, moonhiker said:

I'd also check with your embassy about the process of getting an emergency travel document in case you lose your passport (hey, 2-3 months is a long time, a lot can happen! ????), if they require your birth certificate, at least leave it with somebody who could mail it to you.

@Ma Noi - click on https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document for relevant info