Thai attacked over coronavirus ‘Asian prejudice’ in London

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

"Annoying drunk" like the elderely British couple and their middle aged son that were severely beaten here by a gang of local yobs.

I suspect that coronavirus may have been at the bottom of this.

Are you referring to the Hua Hin incident? If so, there was a bit more to it than just an attack by strangers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sahibji said:

racism is prevalent in the UK which seems to have degenerated into an unsafe place to live in. quiet recently an elderly indian lady was targeted due to kashmir issue. meaningless really but that is the reality.

Not to mention the apparently increasing numbers of racial slurs shouted at minority football players.  

3 hours ago, macleans said:

Farang by itself generally isn't an offensive term.

The most commonly accepted theory in Thailand about the origin of the term "farang" suggests that Thais borrowed this term from the Arabs who started trading with the kingdom of Siam hundreds of years ago. The Arabs called the Franks, who were the French ancestors, "Farangi". As the French were the very first group of westerners who Siam contacted centuries back, they used this term to refer to the French. The Siamese extended usage of the term "farang" to refer to other westerners who arrived years later.

The word farang at the time and mostly in today's usage is not a racial slur, just like the word "Orientals" that westerners used to call East Asians. It is shorter and, hence, more convenient to use, especially when they don't know where the person in question comes from -- vs. chow tawon tok (westerners), khon ungkrit (English), khon farang-sed (French), etc. 

The term farang can sometimes have an offensive meaning when a term "tah narm kaow" (literally describes the light color of westerners' eyes) attached to it e.g., farang tah narm kaow.

not only that they "attack" foreigners like wild dogs, often many against one and they can be thoughtless and brutal and that is frightening.

4 minutes ago, sahibji said:

what was the extra bit involved in that attacl>

The woman thought she was in Blackpool arguing with English tourists, she had no concept of the culture she was in the middle of, she slapped the guys face for goodness sake...plus everyone was drunk - the video is here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/29/british-family-in-brutal-thailand-assault-video-vow-never-to-ret/

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Absolute chav scumbags did this. I feel for the guy, hopefully they will get caught and no 500 baht fines please. 

I also feel for foreigners here who get beat down 7 on 1, even if it was for being an annoying drunk. We all make mistakes. 

unfortunately many will get away scotts free and that is what making the situation in UK so unsafe. the police enforcement is poor.

Not too much sympathy for the poor Thai guy here on TVF.

It seems, for some here racism is only bad if it hits us farang. What (may have!) happened in London could hppen in Germany or elsewhere too. If in Germany, I would be once again ashamed by my fellow countrymen.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Estrada said:

You know nothing about the Thai Community in London or the UK for that matter. I have dealt with the Thai community, the Thai Embassy and the Thai Temples in London and the UK for the last 30 years. I have absolutely no doubt that the Thai Embassy was contacted and they took him to hospital. Judging by your previous comments please recognise that there is no place for racism on this forum.

And you know nothing of the parameters of VCCR or the flash to bang time of a 999 call compared to the reaction time (hours if not days!) of an embassy as or when notified. Get off your high charger and take your 'expertise' elsewhere. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, talahtnut said:

London is known as the capital of crime and 

has been for centuries.

I was attacked in 2014 so I don't go there now.

Its dangerous whatever colour you are, and

knife crime is rampant, luckily the Thai chap

was spared that problem.

Rubbish, it never was and isn't. I lived right in the middle of The Kray's and Richardson's 'territory' and even then you had to be 'p.g.c.' to see any action.

Edited by TKDfella

what countries discriminate and even hate foreigners the most? Is it USA and England? I lived for 6 months in Russia. they would seem to be number 1 but they have few foreigners living among them. ... and few visitors. I did see 2 black men in 6 months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ParkerN said:

Indeed. As much as I personally have little time for racism, I have to suppress a slight frissant when a Thai finds himself (or herself) on the receiving end. The words poetic and justice spring to mind, though there is no excuse for common assault. The reality is that whatever land you hail from, the probability is that they have little time for Thais, who generally behave badly, perhaps on the assumption that they are better than all other nationalities a feature of the cradle-to-the-grave indoctrination that glorifies the Thai cukture ans belittle all else. That belief ought not to survive the incoming passport checks. I've seen how Thais are treated in USA (for example). I don't think I would like it if it were me.

Still, racism based on the Covid-19 virus seems a little extreme...

How do they get treated? Also are you Vehicle virgins?

1 minute ago, Fex Bluse said:

And the naivete and gullibility of Farang who believe that being civilized in an uncivilized country (Thailand) somehow wins us points.

The truth is that your morals are only a burden on you in Thailand. They are only an asset in places the value them.

Us white people really need to step into the modern world and stop pretending and fantasising that everyone respects our values 

well you used words....