Jump to content
BANGKOK
JimmyJ

Electricity in rentals legally charged at 5 BHT/Unit ? Unit = KW?

Recommended Posts

Header says it all.

Edited by JimmyJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my electric in bkk was 10 baht a unit. monthly charge was 280 baht. im not an aircon person.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it´s per KW. They charge you the normal price while he was completely overcharged with 10 Baht - what´s forbidden by law btw.

58 minutes ago, fhickson said:

my electric in bkk was 10 baht a unit. monthly charge was 280 baht. im not an aircon person.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious that Condos charge the standard Govt rate. Yet Apartments charge far more.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Depending on consumption the "government" rate can raise to about 4.5 Baht/kWh.

Additionally there is a fixed monthly charge for supply/meter.

5 Baht per unit is somewhat "simplified" but far from excessive.

What are your typical monthly units? (would allow to be precise)

"4.5 Baht/kWh."

 

kWh means Kilowatt hour?

Does that equal 1 Kilowatt?

 

Not renting currently so no typical monthly units.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JimmyJ said:

"4.5 Baht/kWh."

 

kWh means Kilowatt hour?

Does that equal 1 Kilowatt?

 

Not renting currently so no typical monthly units.

I better don't try the physics lecture about power (kilowatt) vs. energy (kilowatt hour/kWh).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt_hour

You pay for energy.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Yes, it´s per KW. They charge you the normal price while he was completely overcharged with 10 Baht - what´s forbidden by law btw.

i knew 10 was high so i was real careful to conserve. even unplugged the refrigerator most of the time. ac never used. did not expect the bill to be that low though. seemed to low.

 

he said the aircon running at full speed 24/7 for 30 days straight would cost around 20k baht at the end of the month at 10 baht a unit. some math, dont remember the numbers.

 

it was an airbnb long term rental by the month.

 

 

Edited by fhickson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fhickson said:

t was an airbnb long term rental by the month.

 

I thought AirBnB was a "All In" price.

Well at least my experience = 1 in Belgium, 5 in Bangkok ( Thonglor ).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I thought AirBnB was a "All In" price.

Well at least my experience = 1 in Belgium, 5 in Bangkok ( Thonglor ).

no, its very common to charge utilities now. some listings are more up front then others. some hosts will ask for cash on checkout, some request money at end through airbnb and others will deduct it from a deposit held in reserve when you booked.

 

the current scam is not being real upfront about it so you should ask specifically about it before booking anything. all chats go on record. if you dont ask the listing can also be changed after you book so it looks like the charges were stated in the description.

 

i ask every time if there are any extra charges not included in the reservation price to get something on the chat record. many have admitted charges that were not even stated on the listing!

 

i think the extra charges are only allowed on long term 28 days or more reservations though.

Edited by fhickson
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I thought AirBnB was a "All In" price.

Well at least my experience = 1 in Belgium, 5 in Bangkok ( Thonglor ).

You will find many in Phuket charge extra for electric but you must have it stated

Edited by ChipButty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I better don't try the physics lecture about power (kilowatt) vs. energy (kilowatt hour/kWh).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt_hour

You pay for energy.

 

Don't need any physics. 1kW use for 1 hour = 1 kWh = 1 unit = Bht 4.5.

2 kW for 1 hour = 2 kWh = 2 units = Bht 9 

500W for 1 hour = 0.5 kWh = Bht 2.25. Simple.

A 3kW electric shower used for 10 minutes would use 3kWh/ 6 = 0.5kWh = Bht 2.25. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I thought AirBnB was a "All In" price.

Well at least my experience = 1 in Belgium, 5 in Bangkok ( Thonglor ).

You must be joking. Air BnB add on a cleaning fee, some local taxes and an admin fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stouricks said:

You must be joking. Air BnB add on a cleaning fee, some local taxes and an admin fee.

Not everybody add's them extra fee's on and you will find local taxes are not collected in Thailand

Edited by ChipButty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, fhickson said:

he said the aircon running at full speed 24/7 for 30 days straight would cost around 20k baht at the end of the month at 10 baht a unit. some math, dont remember the numbers.

Well here are some numbers. An aircon (9600BTU) takes about 1.2kW depending on the ambient temperature and what you have it set on. But 1.2 is a good average. 1.2 x 24 hours = 28.8 units per day @ Bht 10 per unit (rip off) that would be Bht 288 per day x 30 = Bht 8640. Bht 20,000 ????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...