Electricity in rentals legally charged at 5 BHT/Unit ? Unit = KW?

Yes, it´s per KW. They charge you the normal price while he was completely overcharged with 10 Baht - what´s forbidden by law btw.

58 minutes ago, fhickson said:

my electric in bkk was 10 baht a unit. monthly charge was 280 baht. im not an aircon person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Depending on consumption the "government" rate can raise to about 4.5 Baht/kWh.

Additionally there is a fixed monthly charge for supply/meter.

5 Baht per unit is somewhat "simplified" but far from excessive.

What are your typical monthly units? (would allow to be precise)

"4.5 Baht/kWh."

kWh means Kilowatt hour?

Does that equal 1 Kilowatt?

Not renting currently so no typical monthly units.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJ said:

"4.5 Baht/kWh."

kWh means Kilowatt hour?

I better don't try the physics lecture about power (kilowatt) vs. energy (kilowatt hour/kWh).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt_hour

You pay for energy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Yes, it´s per KW. They charge you the normal price while he was completely overcharged with 10 Baht - what´s forbidden by law btw.

i knew 10 was high so i was real careful to conserve. even unplugged the refrigerator most of the time. ac never used. did not expect the bill to be that low though. seemed to low.

he said the aircon running at full speed 24/7 for 30 days straight would cost around 20k baht at the end of the month at 10 baht a unit. some math, dont remember the numbers.

it was an airbnb long term rental by the month.

Edited by fhickson

28 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I thought AirBnB was a "All In" price.

Well at least my experience = 1 in Belgium, 5 in Bangkok ( Thonglor ).

no, its very common to charge utilities now. some listings are more up front then others. some hosts will ask for cash on checkout, some request money at end through airbnb and others will deduct it from a deposit held in reserve when you booked.

the current scam is not being real upfront about it so you should ask specifically about it before booking anything. all chats go on record. if you dont ask the listing can also be changed after you book so it looks like the charges were stated in the description.

i ask every time if there are any extra charges not included in the reservation price to get something on the chat record. many have admitted charges that were not even stated on the listing!

i think the extra charges are only allowed on long term 28 days or more reservations though.

Edited by fhickson
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I thought AirBnB was a "All In" price.

Well at least my experience = 1 in Belgium, 5 in Bangkok ( Thonglor ).

You will find many in Phuket charge extra for electric but you must have it stated

Edited by ChipButty

13 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I better don't try the physics lecture about power (kilowatt) vs. energy (kilowatt hour/kWh).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilowatt_hour

You pay for energy.

Don't need any physics. 1kW use for 1 hour = 1 kWh = 1 unit = Bht 4.5.

2 kW for 1 hour = 2 kWh = 2 units = Bht 9 

500W for 1 hour = 0.5 kWh = Bht 2.25. Simple.

A 3kW electric shower used for 10 minutes would use 3kWh/ 6 = 0.5kWh = Bht 2.25. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stouricks said:

You must be joking. Air BnB add on a cleaning fee, some local taxes and an admin fee.

Not everybody add's them extra fee's on and you will find local taxes are not collected in Thailand

Edited by ChipButty

47 minutes ago, fhickson said:

he said the aircon running at full speed 24/7 for 30 days straight would cost around 20k baht at the end of the month at 10 baht a unit. some math, dont remember the numbers.

Well here are some numbers. An aircon (9600BTU) takes about 1.2kW depending on the ambient temperature and what you have it set on. But 1.2 is a good average. 1.2 x 24 hours = 28.8 units per day @ Bht 10 per unit (rip off) that would be Bht 288 per day x 30 = Bht 8640. Bht 20,000 ????????

1 minute ago, stouricks said:

You must be joking. Air BnB add on a cleaning fee, some local taxes and an admin fee.

Sorry, not always easy tome to express myself in a language I don't mastered.

I meant with all in = rent, electricity, water, WiFi. 

This was 6 times my experience, I know now it is not always like that all the time,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stouricks said:

Don't need any physics. 1kW use for 1 hour = 1 kWh = 1 unit = Bht 4.5.

2 kW for 1 hour = 2 kWh = 2 units = Bht 9 

500W for 1 hour = 0.5 kWh = Bht 2.25. Simple.

A 3kW electric shower used for 10 minutes would use 3kWh/ 6 = 0.5kWh = Bht 2.25. 

Thanks for the lesson which >I< don't need.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 12:51 AM, JimmyJ said:

"4.5 Baht/kWh."

kWh means Kilowatt hour?

I was in Nirun and meters direct to the condo.

(5000 a month to 5500.)

You pay the power bill price.

Just over 4 baht per kwh.

(The meter displays the usage in units representing a one kilowatt electric  appliance running for one hour, hence the term kwh).

Usage around 250 kwh a month mainly due to an old air conditioning system. 

My usage is obviously affected by the costs of electric. I used it less.

Shagwell across the soi still charge 10 baht per kWh.

Plus water, and rooms from 7000 month. (A big drop)

Edited by dallen52

I heard somewhere that a law had been passed to prohibit a landlord from profiting on adding a markup on utility prices. Does anyone know if that is correct and have a link to something to verify it? Or was the person that told me just passing on bar talk as fact...

Always inquire about electric before deciding on a place. I will never rent a home or apartment where I do not pay the market rate, directly from the meter. Marking up electricity should be a felony and landlords should he locked up for this practice. It is an abomination. 

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

I heard somewhere that a law had been passed to prohibit a landlord from profiting on adding a markup on utility prices. Does anyone know if that is correct and have a link to something to verify it? Or was the person that told me just passing on bar talk as fact...

I recall reading about it on TVF (so must be true) some time back. Supposedly a law was passed to stop owners of apartments, etc charging double or more than the rate they are charged. There was an allowable overcharge something like 20% but don't quote me on that.

My gf has her room here in Chiang Mai and her monthly room bill just shows 3 items, room, power and water with no specifics of power used just a charge. There are meters outside each room. So one month I took meter reading on the first of the month (when they also read it) and again the following month. At that time they were charging double the standard rate. I suggest she complain but didn't want to as being scared of being evicted.

She has a small room with a fridge running all the time and a couple lights. She has a water heater but rarely uses in summer. Her room is on the ground floor and well shaded so doesn't use the AC a lot. Her bill often higher than mine and I am in a house with large fridge, have hot showers all the time, use bedroom AC all night every night a high percentage of the year, large screen TV and of course lights.

But like a lot of things here in Thailand, laws are passed, no one enforces them so they get ignored.

7 hours ago, dallen52 said:

I was in Nirun and meters direct to the condo.

(5000 a month to 5500.)

You pay the power bill price.

Just over 4 baht per kwh.

(The meter displays the usage in units representing a one kilowatt electric  appliance running for one hour, hence the term kwh).

Usage around 250 kwh a month mainly due to an old air conditioning system. 

My usage is obviously affected by the costs of electric. I used it less.

Shagwell across the soi still charge 10 baht per kWh.

Plus water, and rooms from 7000 month. (A big drop)

I pay my electricity bill straight to PEA (Provincial Electricity Authority) in Jomtien, Pattaya. 4,01 Baht/kWh + 7% tax. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i pay 8 baht a unit which is the max I'm willing to pay, one place i checked out wanted 10 baht a unit, govt rate is around 3.8 baht i think? rent at my place is low so i let the 8 slide

most of the places charging over the govt rate are nicer units, serviced apts etc.

they mark up the electric to make the rent appear cheaper, esp on places like airbnb where the rental price needs to be as low as possible for people comparison shopping.

govt rate on utilities your probably looking at a shoebox or local type place.

7 hours ago, fhickson said:

most of the places charging over the govt rate are nicer units, serviced apts etc.

they mark up the electric to make the rent appear cheaper, esp on places like airbnb where the rental price needs to be as low as possible for people comparison shopping.

I know many condominiums (both old and new) in Jomtien and Pattaya where you pay government rates = 4 baht/kWh + 7% tax to PEA. It has nothing to do with size. My condo is 76sqm. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fhickson said:

My gf lives in a shoebox local place but pays double the govt rate.