Jump to content
BANGKOK
Thairakrot

Child custody in Thailand

Recommended Posts

To cut a long story short:  I have been in the typical Isaan-farrang trap for more than 10 years now.  I need to take legal action to keep contact with my valuable daughter 7 years old and to keep my sanity.  

 

1. My name is on the birth certificate

2. Im the legalized father at the amphur.  (Application signed by both mother and child)

3. I have shared custody under Norwegian law.  She is double citizen and also have Norwegian passport.  

 

A local lawyer claim I need first court proceedings to (once again) legalize my parenthood even I claim I did this already  (2) and then yet another proceedings for custody.  I'm pretty sure some other suffering farrang has been through similar actions in Thai.  Can anyone please help me with the following questions:

 

A:  Do I really need to go through yet another court proceeding to legalize parenthood when this is done already by registered application at the amphur?

B:  Do I have real rights after legalization like visitation rights and all the rights under the law.   (I have all relevant clause in the thai CCC).

C  Has anyone run a child custody case?  Outcome, price estimate, time etc.

D  If you are granted partial custody under C, what are your sanctions?  Will the police help you if the Isaan family obstructs?  

E  Can anyone recommend a trustworthy family lawyer in the Ratchaburi, Nakhon Pathim Nakhon Chaisi area?

 

Feedback is highly appreciated from members with similar lives.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

       I might be able to answer some of your questions

 

A     I never had to go through another legalisation procedure but I had to have another      interview with Children's Welfare you might of miss understood this 

 

B     After legalisation I was told I have shared custody (I was never sure how true this is) but as far as having rights to see my child if mother did not want it is more difficult because it seems that police will not want to get involved

 

C       If what I was told about legalisation is true you do not need to get involved with that unless you want 100% custody over your child. It took me 3 months to get 100% custody over my child the cost depends on whether the mother agrees to it

 

D      Already answer in answer B

 

E      No

 

        I cannot say how true what I have been told is but I dealt with 2 different lawyers who both said the same thing

Edited by offset

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too long ago I asked 2 lawyers and they all told me that is has to go trough court and that this is a costly and lengthy process, even if mother agrees on it.
Marrying by government would be much easier for everything basically, they were nice enough to not even start mentioning what it would cost otherwise.

The name in birth certificate etc is pretty much useless without marriage or trying the courts. Even for getting him a Dutch passport needed to do this.

 

Edit: I believe that you could claim it somehow as you did but that is not official unless married or court judgement.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not at all difficult as others have mentioned above if the mother is willing to hand over sole custody of the child to you. And if that's the case then it shouldn't take too long nor be too costly. 6 to 8 weeks max and a lawyer with a translator c 15,000 baht. For me it was a short hearing in the juvenile court then the agreement was drawn up and at the second hearing the agreement was signed and stamped. Then the only possible problem is taking the child out of Thailand. I would advise that the mother is there in case there is a problem at immigration. Some will say there shouldn't be a problem but there can be. If the mother is not agreeable to give you sole custody then youve got major problems. I would flag also that I encountered a problem renewing my son's non Thai passport. The difference in having sole custody or being guardian. I would advise in any Thai court document to mention both. My passport office wanted a statement stating I was the childs legal guardian and the Thai court said I had sole custody. I should add we were not married the mother and I.

Edited by Nip
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nip said:

It's not at all difficult as others have mentioned above if the mother is willing to hand over sole custody of the child to you. And if that's the case then it shouldn't take too long nor be too costly. 6 to 8 weeks max and a lawyer with a translator c 15,000 baht. For me it was a short hearing in the juvenile court then the agreement was drawn up and at the second hearing the agreement was signed and stamped. Then the only possible problem is taking the child out of Thailand. I would advise that the mother is there in case there is a problem at immigration. Some will say there shouldn't be a problem but there can be. If the mother is not agreeable to give you sole custody then youve got major problems. I would flag also that I encountered a problem renewing my son's non Thai passport. The difference in having sole custody or being guardian. I would advise in any Thai court document to mention both. My passport office wanted a statement stating I was the childs legal guardian and the Thai court said I had sole custody. I should add we were not married the mother and I.

I have never had any problems doing a new UK and Thai passport for my child by just showing a copy of the court order, even dealing with the immigration and when changing his school they always accepted the court order I have never been asked for anything from his mother 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Successfully done sole PP (Parental Power) which is custody's term in Thailand, cost 10,000 baht seven years ago, one interview with translator and witnesses at social services, wait 3 months and go to family court to be awarded sole custody by the judge. Official paperwork given to me after a one hour wait at the court. 

Uncontested by now ex-wife though, so it was just a paperwork exercise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting how certain people claim it is all so straightforward and easy but nobody can explain the exact procedure and steps.
As well that there are just as many, if not more, who say the exact opposite and have experienced so as well.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Interesting how certain people claim it is all so straightforward and easy but nobody can explain the exact procedure and steps.
As well that there are just as many, if not more, who say the exact opposite and have experienced so as well.

People can only tell by there own experience, I have done legalisation and sole custody with different lawyers both was straight forward but it was done with my son's mother agreement

 

The procedures were nearly the same lawyer puts in the papers to the court, a visit to the children's welfare then a court hearing the only difference was with legalisation the mother was given 1 month to change her mind before the papers were issued but for sole custody the papers were issued the same day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear when all you want is some time with your kid.

Gut it out, but do what is best for your child.

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone as posted already, ensure any wording in any document says "Parental Power" - that is what carries the weight, not the word 'custody'.

 

Because my ex knew that our child would be better off with me in the west, it was an easy process. No arguments at all.

 

However, note that if you get 100% parental control, it would only be applicable in Thailand. 'The west' takes more of an equitable view, and unless there was abuse / violence happening, would not accept 100% control by one parent.

 

In this respect, I actually have more power in Thailand than I do in UK! But, no problems with 'mum' as she's supportive of our plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 2:11 PM, offset said:

People can only tell by there own experience, I have done legalisation and sole custody with different lawyers both was straight forward but it was done with my son's mother agreement

 

The procedures were nearly the same lawyer puts in the papers to the court, a visit to the children's welfare then a court hearing the only difference was with legalisation the mother was given 1 month to change her mind before the papers were issued but for sole custody the papers were issued the same day

I am not saying that it are lies but the stories are really opposite. Unless you are leaving very high costs needed to be be paid out of the story? Can you tell how much?
I personally was surprised that both lawyers I tried, did not even give me a quote, I mean, it should be a straightforward job and easy money for them to make.
No drama either as we both agreed to do it. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I am not saying that it are lies but the stories are really opposite. Unless you are leaving very high costs needed to be be paid out of the story? Can you tell how much?
I personally was surprised that both lawyers I tried, did not even give me a quote, I mean, it should be a straightforward job and easy money for them to make.
No drama either as we both agreed to do it. 

Both lawyers cost were 10000 baht nearly 5 and 7 years ago, and 1000 bhat to have somebody to translate for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, offset said:

Both lawyers cost were 10000 baht nearly 5 and 7 years ago, and 1000 bhat to have somebody to translate for me

That is peanuts. I would even be happy to have paid 2x that to get it done before. Too late now.

But exactly what confused me with the 2 lawyers I have asked (and 3 others who never reply on outdated websites / pages),
they can make easy money on this but seem to not be interested in it at all. You basically always end up with the high end ones if looking Online.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

That is peanuts. I would even be happy to have paid 2x that to get it done before. Too late now.

But exactly what confused me with the 2 lawyers I have asked (and 3 others who never reply on outdated websites / pages),
they can make easy money on this but seem to not be interested in it at all. You basically always end up with the high end ones if looking Online.

I did not go online to find a lawyer I used recommended locals because they knew the local court system I also had a good interpreter to use when I spoke to the lawyer and court

 

It might be more difficult in places like Bangkok because most lawyers there are only interested in high fee paying cases

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2020 at 11:35 PM, offset said:

       I might be able to answer some of your questions

 

A     I never had to go through another legalisation procedure but I had to have another      interview with Children's Welfare you might of miss understood this 

 

B     After legalisation I was told I have shared custody (I was never sure how true this is) but as far as having rights to see my child if mother did not want it is more difficult because it seems that police will not want to get involved

 

C       If what I was told about legalisation is true you do not need to get involved with that unless you want 100% custody over your child. It took me 3 months to get 100% custody over my child the cost depends on whether the mother agrees to it

 

D      Already answer in answer B

 

E      No

 

        I cannot say how true what I have been told is but I dealt with 2 different lawyers who both said the same thing

Thanks for the answer.  The mother will for sure contest a custody (guardian) case as using the child against me is in her (their) mind the most efficient way of pressuring me for money.  (Had they only treated me like a human being, let me be with my child in peace and put the child's interest first they would have gotten my support until my daughter was grown up).   I dont intent to seek full custody as the child loves both her mother and father, but I will force them to let the child also be with her father.  This family is deeply bankrupt, alcohol and mental problems amongst people living in the house I built and they are for sure not able to provide for my child and her step son.   I have built house for them.  I supported the aunt to start a business ( and the first thing they did was to cheat both me and the mother), I have given them 25K bath ++ every month for 10-11 years paid all schools and medical.   I need to find a lawyer I can trust.  A local Thai lawyer quoted 90K baht for just legalizing my parenthood (once again...) and then another cost for getting partial custody.  Another lawyer quoted 50 K for all.   

 

My daughter is crying cause she miss her father.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...