SETV - Savannaketh Laos

Hi guys

So I have been staying 90 days in Thailand from late October last year with a SETV from my home country (Norway) and an extension of that.

I exited Thailand to Laos on the last day of my valid visa extension (27th Janury) and have been travelling around in Laos since. Tomorrow I will be in Savannakhet and the day after I will try to apply for a new SETV at the consulate there.

I just read on the thai consulates website and the requirements there that I need money or a bank statement of 20 000 baht and an air ticket booking out of Thailand. 
Are these requirements really enforced at the consulate?

Thanks in advance!

An air ticket is not needed. A recent bank statement showing the equivalent of at least 20,000 baht is definitely needed. They may well want to see a hotel reservation (easily made and later cancelled). Even with that, there is no guarantee that you will get your visa. Over the last year or so, Savannakhet has been very reluctant to issue tourist visas, except to those with very little previous recent time in Thailand. Since you will be there anyway, it makes sense to try. Good luck!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

An air ticket is not needed. A recent bank statement showing the equivalent of at least 20,000 baht is definitely needed. They may well want to see a hotel reservation (easily made and later cancelled). Even with that, there is no guarantee that you will get your visa. Over the last year or so, Savannakhet has been very reluctant to issue tourist visas, except to those with very little previous recent time in Thailand. Since you will be there anyway, it makes sense to try. Good luck!

Thanks for answer, much appriciated.

Bank statement - like a letter from my bank, or just a print of my bank-account current status?

51 minutes ago, Mangkhut said:

Thanks for answer, much appriciated.

Bank statement - like a letter from my bank, or just a print of my bank-account current status?

A print of your bank account current status (preferably in English or Thai) should suffice, as long as it is clearly genuine, and clearly your own account.

4 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I was at Savannakhet in November 2019. There were 8 people applying for visas. Two non o's and six SETV.

Only the non o's were granted. One person turned down for 90 days in Thailand already.

Good Luck

OMG - so it means Im not likely to get a visa there.....

How about Vientiane? Is it difficult to get a visa there and how long is the appointment line ftm?

53 minutes ago, Mangkhut said:

How about Vientiane? Is it difficult to get a visa there and how long is the appointment line ftm?

I suggest you at least try in Savannakhet since you have already been out of the country for some time now. Most people that apply there have just left Thailand to do the application.

It should no be a problem in Vientiane with your history. Just checked on the Vientiane appointment website and their are appointments available for tomorrow and the rest of this week and next as well. See: https://thaivisavientiane.com/

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I suggest you at least try in Savannakhet since you have already been out of the country for some time now. Most people that apply there have just left Thailand to do the application.

It should no be a problem in Vientiane with your history. Just checked on the Vientiane appointment website and their are appointments available for tomorrow and the rest of this week and next as well. See: https://thaivisavientiane.com/

Ubon Joe... these are some comforting words, even though they were addressed to another person.

it can be such a relief sometimes to receive your knowledge.

I just wanna rub my head against that water buffalo pic of yours! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mangkhut said:

You're a border line case as far as their SETV policy is concerned, so if I were you, I'd give it a shot since you are in Savannakhet anyway.

Do you have any previous Thai stamps in your passport before arriving in October?

Please report back how it goes!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks for answer Ubonjoe. 

About the Vientiane embassy - do tjey demand the same things that the consulate in Savannakhet?

18 minutes ago, Caldera said:

You're a border line case as far as their SETV policy is concerned, so if I were you, I'd give it a shot since you are in Savannakhet anyway.

Do you have any previous Thai stamps in your passport before arriving in October?

Please report back how it goes!

I current passport is issued Dec 2015 and I have been visiting Thailand 1-2 times pr year and spending 2-3 months pr year in the country. No visas though, just VE and extensions and a couple of visruns in Mae Sai.

8 minutes ago, Mangkhut said:

I current passport is issued Dec 2015 and I have been visiting Thailand 1-2 times pr year and spending 2-3 months pr year in the country. No visas though, just VE and extensions and a couple of visruns in Mae Sai.

That should work in your favor - that's the history of a genuine tourist. It probably also helps that the previous SETV was issued in your home country.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

A lot of SE Asia consulates are also now asking for proof of rental agreement or accommodation for half of your intended stay, and they do not accept a mere hotel booking, they want receipt of payment. 

Does that mean that making use of a Hotel-booking site is not accepted? 

Also me and many other TVF members would be interested to know which SE Asia consulates impose that additional requirement.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

What are your chances for success if you have a close-to-new passport with no Thai tourist visas ? 

( Can they check how often you've gone to Thailand on your old passport ? )

No but on return Thai Immigration computers link your old and new passport upon arrival. The GET A NEW PASSPORT trick does not fool Thai Immigtartion on entry.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

Can they check how often you've gone to Thailand on your old passport ?

Yes.

I presume that by 'they' you are talking about Thai immigration? I believe all entry points have access to the online system. That system has details of all entries made on all passports - new and old.

Edited by KhaoYai

I am from Finland and got SETV in Helsinki and arrived in Thailand Nov 15. I am staying in Nong Khai countryside with wife in her house. We are both retired and are staying in Thailand 180 days every year. Two winters before this year I used a NON-OA-visa still shown in my current passport. 

Last week Feb 11 I traveled to Vientiane and got easily another SETV there. Neither any financials like cash or bank statement nor flight ticket were asked anywhere. Copies of stamps leaving Thailand and arriving Laos were required.

So maybe it is better for you to travel to Vientiane instead of Savannekhet.

4 minutes ago, inxuinxu said:

I am from Finland and got SETV in Helsinki and arrived in Thailand Nov 15. I am staying in Nong Khai countryside with wife in her house. We are both retired and are staying in Thailand 180 days every year. Two winters before this year I used a NON-OA-visa still shown in my current passport. 

Last week Feb 11 I traveled to Vientiane and got easily another SETV there. Neither any financials like cash or bank statement nor flight ticket were asked anywhere. Copies of stamps leaving Thailand and arriving Laos were required.

So maybe it is better for you to travel to Vientiane instead of Savannekhet.

It seems slightly easier to get an SETV in Vientiane than in Savannakhet. However, it is not as easy as in years past. You will probably need the bank statement in Vientiane. Vientiane has an appointment system, so make sure you have an appointment for the day you plan to apply.

If you are in Nong Khai, I see no good reason why you would choose Savannakhet over Vientiane for a tourist visa application.

Update: Just been at the consulate in Savannakhet and handed in my application for a SETV. After a lot of discussion they accepted it, I guess thats a good sign...? I mean if there have been something they didnt accept about my application and documentation - they wouldnt have accepted my application at all I guess?

Well - I just have to wait until tomorrow at 2 pm and see what happens...fingers ???? 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

What do you mean by "a lot of discussion" ?

Sounds a bit ominous. What sort of questions did they ask ?

They didnt ask me any questions. What they discussed is hard to tell, but obviously something about my previous stays in Thailand, counting the days I have been in Laos etc. There was also an issue about my passport as there are only 2 blank pages left, and they are the 2 first pages in my passport. (The first stamper started on page 3 for some unknown reason...)

• Like 1

Du er Norsk? If I remember, so assume same type of passpt as EU.

Well-those first 2 pages are/were always special for any notes/restrictions (in the distant past even for adding kids) your OWN govmt. may add, so thats probably the reason why they feel a bit reluctant to use those for their Thai stamps/stickers. I dk details about NO, but there often were even such wordings on top of those pages. Is it due for renewal soon now?

OK then, sa det ska bra. Sedan trevilg resan.

1 hour ago, Mangkhut said:

They didnt ask me any questions. What they discussed is hard to tell, but obviously something about my previous stays in Thailand, counting the days I have been in Laos etc. There was also an issue about my passport as there are only 2 blank pages left, and they are the 2 first pages in my passport. (The first stamper started on page 3 for some unknown reason...)

If those pages aren't labeled as visa pages, but as "remarks" or something, that could indeed be an issue.

Other than that, I think you should be okay, if they had been unhappy with your history, they probably wouldn't have accepted your application after counting days.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asanee said:

Du er Norsk? If I remember, so assume same type of passpt as EU.

Well-those first 2 pages are/were always special for any notes/restrictions (in the distant past even for adding kids) your OWN govmt. may add, so thats probably the reason why they feel a bit reluctant to use those for their Thai stamps/stickers. I dk details about NO, but there often were even such wordings on top of those pages. Is it due for renewal soon now?

OK then, sa det ska bra. Sedan trevilg resan.

Ja det står jo ganske klart hvor jeg kommer fra under bildet mitt...????

Anyhow - you might be right about those visa pages. First there is the cover, which is page 1. Then the inside of the cover which is page 2 and then page 3. Number 2 and 3 are almost blank and doesnt have a number. Then comes side 4 and 5 with the actual info about the passport holder (me) and then the actual visa pages starts after that with big numbered pages. And it is these actual visa pages that both page 1 and 2 where left blank. 

Anyhow - fingers crossed....

On 2/17/2020 at 10:48 PM, BananaBandit said:

What are your chances for success if you have a close-to-new passport with no Thai tourist visas ? 

( Can they check how often you've gone to Thailand on your old passport ? )

Consulates and embassies don't have same info as immigration (yet) which has access to everything. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Does that mean that making use of a Hotel-booking site is not accepted? 

Also me and many other TVF members would be interested to know which SE Asia consulates impose that additional requirement.

Thanks!

I have an Expedia printout on my table of a hotel booking and it details amount paid and all that... surely that would qualify!