Office 2003 with Windows 10 - fox problem

toast1

I like Word 2003, is simple and quick and works fine with all my Win10 PCs.

But one Asus laptop it won't work with, keeps stopping, then getting the message 

An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly. Please run Setup and select Repair to restore this application.

I reinstall it but more problems, just stops working.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

Uninstall any Win 10 updates that relate to Office. Get rid of the Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in if it's installed.

It probably won't work, but you might try a right-click on word.exe, go to Properties in the context menu, then choose the Compatibility tab and the "Run the compatibility troubleshooter." Select the result and apply. Run Word and see if the problem has stopped. If not, try running it as an even earlier version of Windows.

Finally you'll no doubt be left with these choices: change to a later version Office (cheap keys for 2016 and 2019 on ebay) and use a menu add-in that emulates much of the 2003 menu; run your 2003 in a virtual Win 7 or XP under, say, Virtualbox; or just change to LibreOffice or WPS Office.

8 hours ago, toast1 said:

OK thanks for this.

Its strange that office 2003 works with all Win10 PCs except on Asus laptop.

Seems to be little pattern in that odd behavior except as I've noted above. It tends to run better on Win 10s prior to the Creators Update. A last suggestion, unless you want to reinstall Win 10 (arghh!) and try that, is to run the system file checker. Instructions here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

I have had similar issues in the past with MS Office. You uninstall and reinstall but the problem remains. It is because Office uninstall does not completely remove some components.

This Microsoft uninstall support tool has been able to resolve the problem for me:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/uninstall-office-from-a-pc-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

You need to download the utility from near the bottom of the page.

On 2/17/2020 at 9:48 PM, toast1 said:

Any ideas on how to fix this?

You are trying to run 17 year old software on latest Win10 o/s? 

Have you tried running the Windows compatibility troubleshooter to see if that helps - it may allow it to run in XP mode? It does say on MS web site that "Older versions of Office such as Office 2007, Office 2003 and Office XP are not certified compatible with Windows 10 but might work with or without compatibility mode" so it's probably a waste of time trying further - even tho your other PCs work OK as MS says it won't work all the time. (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/a-look-at-running-older-versions-of-microsoft/6faf72ea-254a-4c8e-9982-2c36cdb1936c)

Perhaps run it on an old version of XP on a virtual machine on the Win10 laptop? I do that to look at obsolete software that used to work 15 years ago.

Better still upgrade to latest version of office Word!

OP< with all respect, the good versions of MS Office started in 2013,

Use this version and you won't have a problem. 

You can buy a 2016 key on e-bay for almost nothing. There are programs like the uninstaller where all files are being removed.

Most programs leave traces on your machine. Delete all files and your old program might work.